Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 4:57pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Foster BJJ

I've been looking around at different options in the South King County area for a good grappling school. I stumbled on Foster BJJ (http://www.fosterbjj.com). I went down and checked out the facilities, met him very briefly and had a look around. I had my kids with me (I'd been looking at the kids lessons in that same building), so we didn't stay long to watch the class, but what I saw looked really good.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this school. At 36, I'm not expecting or looking to compete or become any kind of badass. Just to get some quality instruction.

His lineage/background is very detailed on the website, but due to my ignorance of the people he lists, it means very little to me. Any endorsements or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Lurker
    I've been looking around at different options in the South King County area for a good grappling school. I stumbled on Foster BJJ (http://www.fosterbjj.com). I went down and checked out the facilities, met him very briefly and had a look around. I had my kids with me (I'd been looking at the kids lessons in that same building), so we didn't stay long to watch the class, but what I saw looked really good.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this school. At 36, I'm not expecting or looking to compete or become any kind of badass. Just to get some quality instruction.

His lineage/background is very detailed on the website, but due to my ignorance of the people he lists, it means very little to me. Any endorsements or information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Good place to train. His lineage is legit. Where in the South Side are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 9:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Covington, so it's an easy 15 minutes or so from my house, even during rush hour.

Unless something comes up, I'm going to attend the Sunday class at 3pm. When I spoke with James, he said I could attend the class on Sunday free of charge. Free is a pretty hard price to turn down.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poop Loops trains there I think, if you search on foster or foster bjj in the forums you will probably get some info. Like Sam said, they're legit and he's a really nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I'll look again. I did search the forums before starting the new thread, but couldn't turn anything up.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Lurker
    Thanks. I'll look again. I did search the forums before starting the new thread, but couldn't turn anything up.
    That's entirely possible, I just thought I remembered Loops posting about the club. Anyway, have fun and we'll see you at the tournaments in a few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained there for under a year. It's a very good place and James is a very good teacher. I'd keep training, but I'm a poor student at the moment. :(

They have a cool MMA class, too. They have a few fighters already, even though the class is just over a year old. Well, year and a half now I suppose. The BJJ class is well-established, though, so there's no worries about it.

James has a tendency to get injured sometimes, but the blue, purple, and brown belts know what they are doing, too, so even if he's not there or whatever, be assured that they can definately teach you, too. Even then, he'll still be in class giving people pointers and such. It's just really cool. No ego, no jerks (now that I don't train there. :P).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks to everyone for the feedback and information. I went to class today and had a good time. Bunch of nice people. On the sign up sheet, it asked whether I had any physical limitations. All I could think to put down was "fat". But I guess that'll take care of itself.