Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Test-cutting

I'm curious if any of the people who train sword arts have done test cutting. In the Filipino Martial Arts I've done there has never been a lot of emphasis on test cutting because of the use of the stick as a trainer for the sword. As I work more on sword / sword and dagger methods it seems like this could be a useful training method.

So for those of you who have done test cutting, did you find it beneficial to your overall training? Are there any particular things to focus on with this kind of training?

Also what are good materials to work with?

Thanks,
    Eric

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 12:56pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epa
    I'm curious if any of the people who train sword arts have done test cutting. In the Filipino Martial Arts I've done there has never been a lot of emphasis on test cutting because of the use of the stick as a trainer for the sword. As I work more on sword / sword and dagger methods it seems like this could be a useful training method.
    The problem is, if you're only using the stick as a trainer for a blade, there's very little that forces you to maintain edge awareness - you can swing the stick with any orientation and it works just fine. With a blade, it's really important that the 'door knocker' knuckles line up with the plane of your stick/sword's motion, otherwise you aren't cutting efficiently. It's also good for your training in general because it helps keep your wrist in a neutral position, which prevents strain.

No need to get all nutty with the amount of stuff you cut, but doing it occasionally (as well as working with wooden swords, dull machetes and live blades) will help remind you.

Also what are good materials to work with?
    Pizza boxes work well. A more complicated setup is to make a stand of some sort and cut a sheet of newspaper rolled into a tube (if the cut is poor, and the blade is dull, the paper will rip or just fold over)

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 4:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done test cutting. Test cutting let you know if you are cutting through the target or just beating it with a sharp object. *Hint* the latter doesn't require training.

For Testing cutting use Bamboo or Grass Mats.

If you want to get adventurous a slap of beef.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing i did when I got home with my ultra-cheap ass wakazashi ($90 after discount) was fill a 2 liter pepsi bottle with water until it was full and sealed it. Then i chopped it in half.

I thought i missed at first because nothing happened, then the bottle fell apart and there was water everywhere.

It was awesome.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 4:34pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    If you want to get adventurous a slap of beef.
    As a vegetarian, I'll do test cutting on a big block of tempeh.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cut a pumpkin with a sword once, it was a lot harder than I would've expected
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 7:46pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done some test cutting on shields, ringmail, tree branches, plastic pipe, steel helmets and armour, hanging rope, maybe other stuff.

It teaches you to control the angle of your edge, keep a firm hand or you can get a nasty twist leading to blade damage, lack of penetration, even hand/wrist damage or a deflection into your other limbs.
    I find with real blades it is often best to hold back a little on speed and power just to keep enough good control for an effective cut.

Friend of mine was recently surprised how his cheapo jap sword was great at lopping off branches around his garden. Heavy rigid piece of sharp metal = good at chopping wood.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 7:52pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I cut a pumpkin with a sword once, it was a lot harder than I would've expected
    You know how bad it is for a sword to cut fruit with it??

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi
    You know how bad it is for a sword to cut fruit with it??
    well it wasn't my idea, Jake, the Kat's old ARMA instructor, was having everyone cut pumpkins.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 8:03pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On an expensive shinken with a nice polish it might matter. ARMAteers tend to view their weapons in a much more utilitarian light and a little acid etching from fruit is not a big deal.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast