Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 2:15pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    why the **** would an ems have the defend themselves?

"NO! I cut off my finger and i dont need to go to the hospital!!!!! KIYAH!!!!!!!!" (Attack)

thats a stupid idea
    It's for when they go to save the bodies and took too long and a sorceror turned all their patients into zombies so when they DO get there the zombies try to eat their BRAIIIIINNNNNNSSSSSSSS:eatbaby:

Either way, Jackie Chan has t3h d34dly p1ll p0w3r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YMj9crx9I

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 2:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, i should stop being silly :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 2:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    EMS uses the Deadly Dogpile technique most of the time, which was taught to us by police. Very little actual one-on-one "fighting." I can't view the link at work because it's forbidden because of weapons, but I'll check it out tonight at home.

Hehe. Yeah, I've noticed the dogpile technique too. I think it's probably the most effective technique because (at least in my town) usually fire/LE respond to a medical call as well. However, I'm thinking in certain situations (fire/LE are on another call, there's only two EMTs in a bus, etc) it would be pretty good to have some sort of self-defense training.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 3:34pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think basic wrestling/judo/anything with simple takedowns would be most effective, they're not in it for the fight and a tackle works both in a dogpile and one on one. Besides, knee-to-the-head might not be a great idea for them in most situations I can think of for EMS in "t3h b4ttl3"

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 5:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in EMS for 13 years - 11 as a Paramedic, and 6 on a helicopter - all in a busy system in So Cal. I have only had to scuffle w/ dirtballs a hand full of times. Usually, there are a few Firefighters around and sometimes even a cop or 2; so it's not a problem. However, when you do find yourself alone and when all else fails, you still have your handy "Maglite" which is much more effective than some overly complicated technique. Also, once they are in the back of your rig - 1000cc IV bags donít leave marks.....

I was more afraid of all the friggin pitbulls that were so common in some of the areas I used to run in while on the ambulance..... Had a few bad run-ins.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, if we're being serious, basic grappling and body control are most important. Honestly I think I lift people and move people better with some grappling experience--not people resisting, I'm just a lot less awkward at moving a human body now.

You might be surprised how many EMS patients (especially those suffering acute EtOH poisoning) want to fight. Generally, though, police are on scene when that sort of thing is happening and they handle the enforcement end. On the other hand, sometimes there are too many customers for police to handle by themselves, and EMS/Fire gets involved--but again, that's usually the dogpile.

If they're prescribing some new, revolutionary system then they're probably re-inventing the wheel. If you were a pretty good high-school wrestler or knew some Judo and BJJ you'd be a pretty dominant EMT. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 7:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess I'm in the right martial art then, lol.

It looked like they took a move or two from Judo on that site, and then added some unnecessary crap. :\

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only seen a couple of things, but it doesn't look too bad to me. It looks like it's intended to be like the Defensive Tactics training cops do, which is usually very little actual training time and tends to be a few "tricks" people can learn quickly. His "Ground Defense" is not bad. That's not far from the way I was taught to stand up in vale tudo; kick to keep distance, follow one kick with coming up on hand/foot, swing the other foot through and stand up with base.

He's not suggesting you do some complicated foot sweep or a takedown from your back, just keep the guy at bay and if you need to get up, do it quickly and with a good base.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 10:12pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one reason an EMT might have to defend himself.

Biker wipes out on bike. Ambulance arrives. EMT starts cutting off his leather jacket and pants to check for injury. Biker dude resists this to avoid damage to his threads. Biker escalates into scuffle.

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 3:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or here is one that might cause a fight (beating):

A medic gets woken up at 3 am for a 911 call - "person down". Drives code 3 to the address - fire department arrives at the same time - they walk in, and find a big fat woman who says her tongue wonít stop burning after she ate some spicy beef jerky...... Real story.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast