Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 3:19am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think an example of what the Villain is talking about (without putting words in his mouth) is a right kick/left hook combo for example. The left hand is in such a position during the kick, that it will naturally flow into a lead hook after the kick.

One thing I am grappling with now in my own training is my coaches affinity for punching with the same side hand immediately after the kick lands. By this I mean that the punch is thrown before the kicking leg plants. So, right kick, right punch or left kick, left punch. It requires a lot of balance, and almost comes off like a superman punch. Not quite sure of the efficacy of it yet, as I haven't used it in a fight... but it is interesting. I am keeping an open mind.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:54am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    I think an example of what the Villain is talking about (without putting words in his mouth) is a right kick/left hook combo for example. The left hand is in such a position during the kick, that it will naturally flow into a lead hook after the kick.

One thing I am grappling with now in my own training is my coaches affinity for punching with the same side hand immediately after the kick lands. By this I mean that the punch is thrown before the kicking leg plants. So, right kick, right punch or left kick, left punch. It requires a lot of balance, and almost comes off like a superman punch. Not quite sure of the efficacy of it yet, as I haven't used it in a fight... but it is interesting. I am keeping an open mind.
    Understood, thanks.

In all the thai fights I've seen, they do right kick, right hook. I've seen it connect on many occasions. The reason for doing this combination is because the guy you're kicking is trying to counter by side-stepping and grabbing your leg, so his hand is down. It could also be because most people will tend to drop their hands a little for their elbow to cover more of the ribs when you kick to that area. Hence the combo is a natural follow up.

It's a high percentage move judging from the number of times I've seen it work.

Do you eat breakfast?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Champion

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to practice jab lead high kick a lot, and I've used it pretty decently in sparring a couple times, but I haven't really done anything with it in a while.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 6:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one of my trainers has been working with me on a new move recently, where you throw a rear roundhouse to the body and then come forward with a cross before the foot lands. kind of weird looking move but you see it a fair bit in thailand, changpuek used it a lot. when you throw the kick you throw it stiff leg and basically straight up into the ribs without turning the hip over otherwise you cant really throw the punch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoK1bUck_no
    shows a whole bunch of them starting at about 1:48
    Last edited by alex; 2/16/2007 6:03pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Chang Peuk's video is the combo I am talking about. It's not just that it is a same side combo, it's the timing of it. The punch is thrown right after the kick hits, and the foot has yet to plant. The balance takes awhile to get used to. But after ten years, I am always up for new things.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 2:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I used to practice jab lead high kick a lot, and I've used it pretty decently in sparring a couple times, but I haven't really done anything with it in a while.
    You must be very flexible.

Spear Sister

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Recruiting Master

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 2:35am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesnt actually take that much flexibility. It used to be one of my main moves (I teached it to her :D )and I have about 90 degrees of flexibility(pitiful) according to one of those leg stretching machines.

It's actually a pretty sweet move if a little awkward to get the hang of.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 9:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    one of my trainers has been working with me on a new move recently, where you throw a rear roundhouse to the body and then come forward with a cross before the foot lands. kind of weird looking move but you see it a fair bit in thailand, changpuek used it a lot. when you throw the kick you throw it stiff leg and basically straight up into the ribs without turning the hip over otherwise you cant really throw the punch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoK1bUck_no
    shows a whole bunch of them starting at about 1:48
    Alex, thanks for sharing this move. Think it's a great move for someone trying to counterpunch off your kick, I'm going to work it on the bag, and try it out on an unsuspecting sparring partner. :icon_thum
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213