Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 6:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not being "Agressive Enough"

Hi, I am new to this forum but from reading other posts I can tell there is a lot of knowledge being passed around.

The issue I was seeking advice on is that I have been training in Ju Jitsu for almost a full year. I get the occasional taps from the new people to our club. But I have been finding more often that I am the one on the recieving end of submissions. Even in a recent tournement I found myself getting my ass handed to me. I have asked my peers and instructors what I seem to be doing wrong, all I recieve from them is that I am not being "Agressive Enough". As well I am able to do most drills perfectly and have a few
    money techniques down. I receive praise from my instructors for good technique but I am finding in sparring I am constantly in the recieving end. To note this has helped me work on my defenses and escapes.

I have my first amateur bout coming up in January,since our club is moving into more MMA type competition.Due to this my main focus is improving my agression. Some advice I recieved is to work on my subs with the new people and to go to war with the people at my level. But work on positioning and escapes with the higher belts.

My queston is how do I get to that level of agression ? And have others found difficulty with this too ?

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about being extra agressive, how many hours a week do you train?

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 7:19pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the opposite problem and get swept and subbed a lot while going for something, so I guess I don't have any advice for you (then again I am a noob)

However, it seems to me that being more aggressive is not the sort of thing one normally needs advice on how to do... just attack more. Don't worry about what they're doing for a second and press the attack, no? Just like GSP did against Hughes, we all saw how well that worked for him, or Karo Parisiyan against GSP ; )

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 7:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train 3 days a week 2 hours a class and I have a hour of open mats once a week.

The hardest thing I found on this subject is what is it to be "agressive". From the responses I am gathering pressing the attack is what I may need to do more of. I am finding that I am taken down more often then most and I do tend to pause between transitions.

I have no fear in being tapped lol hell it is part of training.
    Last edited by Spyder230; 11/08/2006 7:32pm at .

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't wait for your opponent to make a mistake, force him to mistakes by constantly attacking and moving. Push his buttons rather than letting him push your. If you're always reacting then you're always one step behind your opponent.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 1:10am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not sure aggression can be learned. In my opinion it is A personality trait. However you seem to have A strong desire to win, stick with it and when you get tired of being submitted you will become much more aggressive! Make sure you are being honest with yourself though and that there is not A conditioning issue to blame. good luck in your comp!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 3:07am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't go for submissions...you'll never land any.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 4:11am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    If you don't go for submissions...you'll never land any.
    Hehe, now I feel justified.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 5:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to kick the aggression level before a fight, judokas slap themselves on the body;
    if it is not enough, i recommend you to administrate yourself slap on the face, it instantly raise aggression level

after that is high aggression a desired state in grappling is another problem

ps: hi all, it is my first post in these forums, i find them very interesting, wish them a long life! i come from france and train for my third year in bjj

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 6:28am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aggression is not necessarily rushing your opponent and trying to squeeze the life out of them. Some of the most relaxed players I've rolled with are also very aggressive. To me it's about always having a plan and taking the initiative away from your opponent. For example, instead of just letting him try any kind of guard pass on you, attack him with sweeps and submissions, be they feints or not. This limits his availible moves and might force him to choose a passing technique that is not his favorite. You have the initiative. Also, instead of just defending a sub from the guard, view the defence as an immediate opening for a pass. If you start passing, you have taken the initiative away from him and you can build on his attempts to defend your pass, switching to something else if you fail.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast