Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 4:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my area I had an option between two places: one is a family oriented place with a BJJ BB, name I don't remember. The other is Michael Patt, Brown belt under Jorge Gurgel and an actual professional fighter. I chose the Patt school b/c he trains himself and others on his team to actually fight for a living. I can't help but to think it's more serious there, even if I'm wrong.

You've already admitted that the guy you go to now may not give as serious training as Kreis (only you would know). So I say go with the more serious training; this is compounded if you wish to compete for a living one day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimo has come down to my school in west ashley and he is a kewl dude, he was a ref this past weekend with our white belt tourney. I didn't know he had his own place. Kimo taught a class last week at our school and he was VERY good, you can tell he has that "natural teaching skill" VERY techincal it was probley the best class I have been to in my short 30days in BJJ. if your worried about his school being small, I will trade you, you come roll with all the whites and blues that are out to submit you as fast as they can and I will come let him teach me how to not be submitted.
    And on that note I got to jam for class, PM with the info on those 2 schools I might have to change schools, since I am only 30days into it I got no loyalitys yet.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 7:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try out both classes and see which one you like better.

I'm inclined to tell you to go to option A, since you'll get more mat time, but that's assuming you go more than twice a week.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 8:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I'm inclined to tell you to go to option A, since you'll get more mat time, but that's assuming you go more than twice a week.
    There is also the fact that at the club school there is a focus on no-gi, which given your goals is relevant.

Option B affords you a higher level instructor but at a new school (i.e. not a lot of people to roll with). Option A affords you more instruction (though not necessarily as good) and a more varied skill set to draw from.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 9:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a black belt instructor is always a nice thing to have, especially one that's well regarded, but at his level would he be able to tell the difference between a black and a purple?

No-gi is definately more relevant to MMA, although adding striking changes the grappling game a lot, so really only MMA is relevant to MMA. (sad to hear you've given up the sweet science PirateJon :( )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 5:16pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id go with A. You will be bothered that you only have 2 days a week if you go with B; unless they are really long classes. I say go with whichever one offers more time grappling per week.
    BJJ progression is slow for most people.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12