Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:09am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    My switch kick takes about three sun cycles to complete. Any advice on how to change that?
    move to a planet closer to the sun.

Ladder & Fast Feet training gear too...

I mainly went for leg/shin checks with my lead leg....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:16am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feral,

In the first method you described, are you told to step forward so far that your legs are actually switched before you throw the kick? That would surely be a big telegraph.

I use a lead leg kick that is sort of a combination of the first and second methods - a quick forward shuffle with the rear leg, enough cock my lead hip back a little so I can generate some power with it, but not so far that the leg positions switch. In fact, the rear leg only moves forward a few inches. I can throw this kick fast enough to sneak up and under an opening to the ribs, and it hits hard enough to make a decently conditioned opponent take a knee.

Some further musings, specific to myself: I like using my lead kick more because it's faster and lands just as hard if not harder than my rear kick. But that's mostly because I tend to "overthink" when I throw my rear kick. The lead leg kick just flows, and slams in hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 11:43am

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stylistically, savate takes lead-leg kicks for granted. Fighters within savate/boxe francaise who have to switch in order to kick effectively generally get torn up, bad. But we generate power in the chest, and we all tend to be very light on the feet: "solid" is actively discouraged... I don't know how everybody else's style-specific footwork effects that game.

I personally (tend) to use the lead leg defensively, and the rear leg offensively. So if I'm closing the gap, you're much more likely to see my right, and if you're coming in on me, I'm much more likely to angle off while giving you my left. But that's just my reaction to the difference in how much pelvic travel there has to be to throw the kicks on each side. (But, come to think of it, my style's equivalent to the teep I usually do just the reverse).

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happycrow
    Stylistically, savate takes lead-leg kicks for granted. Fighters within savate/boxe francaise who have to switch in order to kick effectively generally get torn up, bad. But we generate power in the chest, and we all tend to be very light on the feet: "solid" is actively discouraged... I don't know how everybody else's style-specific footwork effects that game.

I personally (tend) to use the lead leg defensively, and the rear leg offensively. So if I'm closing the gap, you're much more likely to see my right, and if you're coming in on me, I'm much more likely to angle off while giving you my left. But that's just my reaction to the difference in how much pelvic travel there has to be to throw the kicks on each side. (But, come to think of it, my style's equivalent to the teep I usually do just the reverse).
    That sounds an awful lot like what I do, actually
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let Kid fool you! she lead leg kicks to the groin all the time! OUCH!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:53pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a switch round kick offensively when my opponent keeps backing away. I try to disguise the telegraphed footwork with a same-hand punch (left kick + left punch or right kick + right punch). Ideally, they'll focus on the punch, move back just far enough to avoid it, and walk right into the kick. See Liddell / Babalu I.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 3:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Don't let Kid fool you! she lead leg kicks to the groin all the time! OUCH!
    Hey, you're the only one I groin kicked at the throwdown!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've recently started with a new trainer who has me stepping with my right before I throw a lead left kick. This style has never been my primary way of throwing a kick, and is difficult for me to make it so. There are a few other changes that I'm not to sure about either. Time will tell...

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    I've recently started with a new trainer who has me stepping with my right before I throw a lead left kick. This style has never been my primary way of throwing a kick, and is difficult for me to make it so. There are a few other changes that I'm not to sure about either. Time will tell...
    how did your normally throw it? Switch kick style?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, with a switch. I definitely would like to keep the switch in the arsenal, because I feel it is valuable and I have become quite proficient with it. The problem is making the step my primary method, when all my muscle memory (and concept of distance) is geared towards switching. Oh well, change keeps it fresh I guess.

I feel as though the new trainer is trying to turn me into more of an offensive brawler as well, based on his stance adjustments and footwork modifications.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast