Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 6:52pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kicking with your off leg (lead leg kicks)

Was torn on wether to throw this in newbie town or strikistan, but strikistan never gets any love around here...

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are when kicking with the lead leg, as i've been to a couple of schools and they have differing philosophies on how to do round house kicks with the lead leg (ie the leg in front, the left leg on a right handed stance).

First school was always take a step, which seems pretty telegraphed, but you get some good power on it. Still a useful method, just not that many applications for it.

Second school threw me for a while, they just have you kick in position, you just rotate your back leg and kick. Less power, but its pretty fast, like a jab.

Third school is having me do the switch leg everytime i throw a kick. I'm finding it cumbersome, just not used to doing the switch leg much.

I'm finding that as i'm sparring more, the second school's in place kick is pretty handy, as everyone at my current school is expecting a switch leg kick. Though i'm going to have to learn to do the switch leg regardless. No point in ignoring instruction.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kick with the lead leg possibly more than I do with the rear leg, simply because it's quicker and I can tag people with that lead leg kick to the body as a counter to them coming in with a pretty high success rate. That's lead leg from stance.

I also use lead leg push kicks a lot and have a lot of success with it.

The switch kick I'll often do if I find myself switching feet anyway, or just as a switchup. I'll often do a switch kick, do some other stuff, then switch my feet and throw something from the right instead to catch them off. Throwing the switch kick at different targets is good too, like throwing it at the thigh, then throwing another at the head (though it takes really getting that switch up there in speed).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im a big fan of the switch kick. do it fast enough and you can get a lot of power into it without sacrificing much in the way of speed.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 7:49pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suck at switch kicks, I pretty much never kick the body with my left leg for that reason. If I do kick with my left leg it's a "pick kick" to the inside of the thigh, thrown from position, or sometimes I'll step forward with my right foot and then kick with my left at the head.

Amusingly i can kick the pads pretty sharply with my left leg but when I'm sparring i never feel like it's there for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 9:23pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the front leg push kick, although it's only good if you can throw it without leaning back just before you throw. Then it's too telegraphed.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 9:24pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For round kicks I prefer to use almost exclusively my rear leg, though I will throw in the odd switch-kick if I see an opening or I want to change my stance. I do, however, love front-leg push kicks (and rear leg - or front leg-rear leg and why not front-leg again). Like you, I've had different teachers tell me different things.

My first Kickboxing school said to kick with the leg in place, fast, but zero power. My current school is very big on switching before using the lead leg every time. I prefer swtiching - better, IMO, to practice that, since with kicks I find that power is the most crucial point.

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:27pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My switch kick takes about three sun cycles to complete. Any advice on how to change that?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    practice... it helps if you are light on your feet too. if you are more of a "solid" fighter it probably will make it harder. really it will only come through practice, focus on really driving the ball of your kicking foot into the ground the instant it touches.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 3:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i roundhouse with my lead leg i do a much more angled kick wich is fast but has less power kinda like the second option you had. I mean you dont throw overhand right bombs all the time so why throw every thing in all your kicks?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 6:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because if you are standing on one leg with your other leg sticking out and it didnt do sod all to them they are MUCH more likely to counter you than if you had done the same with a punch.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast