Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    I don't know why you just didn't use bodyweight exercises.

it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Hmmm, how the heck one is supposed to do full contact twists or wrist/grip conditioning with just bodyweight exercises? :eusa_thin :tongue3:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 12:37am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho, haven't you seen the Iron Coil, the best BW has to offer? It closely mimics the full contact twist, or buying a rope for grip(mines too skinny to wrap my legs around, so I just climb with my hands.), or even fingertip pushups and pullups, or towel pullups. Everything can be done with BW.

I almost forgot sledgehammer drills for forearm strength! Still no gym!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 10:35pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    what?

Pull-ups and chin-ups don't work? And, one-armed pull-ups do absolutely NOTHING for your body, huh?

That makes TOTAL and COMPLETE sense.

Explain... OR…

Have fun in La-La land.
    Well, when you can't even manage one pullup due to physical limitations (my arms don't twist in a way that allows me to do pullups. Also, my upper body is ridiculously weak) then NO they don't work.

That's the prime failing of bodyweight exercises. When you start doing them, you can do very few reps (I'm working from years of being sedentary here), and by the time you can do a lot of reps... you're probably best off looking towards weights.

It's all about spreading the love, whatever the case. No one type of exercise is the best. Those that think otherwise... are probably trying to sell something.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 11:33pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on your goals. There are harder BW lifts. look to www.bodyweightculture.com pushups to 1 hand pushups, assisted pullups to pullups to towel grip, one towel one normal grip, partially assisted(one hand on chair, almost one arm), there is so much you must learn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 11:33am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Well, when you can't even manage one pullup due to physical limitations (my arms don't twist in a way that allows me to do pullups. Also, my upper body is ridiculously weak) then NO they don't work.

That's the prime failing of bodyweight exercises. When you start doing them, you can do very few reps (I'm working from years of being sedentary here), and by the time you can do a lot of reps... you're probably best off looking towards weights.

It's all about spreading the love, whatever the case. No one type of exercise is the best. Those that think otherwise... are probably trying to sell something.

I'm sorry about your limitations, but that's no reason to say that they don't work for the majority of people. The majority of people out there don't have your limitations. For YOU they don't work, because you can't do them. But, that's like the guy with no legs telling me that squats are for the birds. It's BS.

What you consider a prime failing of Bodyweight Exercises, I consider a flaw in your idea of how to train those exercises. You start from a point where it is very hard to do the full range of motion, so you only do a part of that range, and then as time goes on, you will get strong enough to do the full range, and then you will be able to do sets of 20. THEN, the sky's the limit on how hard you push.

I've always been active, and never had a gym to train in. So, Bodyweight Exercises were what I did (and lots of stock work when I was a youngster--which might have led to the injury I have now)... But, I was a scrawny 135 pounds at 5'7 when I was 20, and I was very cut up, but no mass. And, through proper diet and use of those same Bodyweight exercises, I was able to come up to 180... and, I was pretty big... Of course, at the time I hated running, so I did gain about 3 inches on my waist, but also 4-5 inches on my biceps.

Now, 10 years later, I got into doing Martial Arts again, and incorporated running into the routine, which thinned me out to about 160, but a toned and pretty built 160, and no weights to be the credit for it. So, forgive me when you think a man needs to use weights to stay in great shape. I know from personal experience that this isn't the case.

Using Bodyweight exercises and Various Isometric routines will do wonders WITH a proper diet.

Now, I'm not saying that I can top 200 pounds and get 24 inch guns from doing Bodyweight exercises, but You can do a hell of a lot with Bodyweight exercises alone.

I know.

Now, if you really seriously want to be a weightlifter, then that's fine. But, to tell people that BE don't work because YOU can't do them isn't the way to go.

Thanks.
    Last edited by nomamao; 11/10/2006 11:35am at .

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    El Macho, haven't you seen the Iron Coil, the best BW has to offer? It closely mimics the full contact twist, or buying a rope for grip(mines too skinny to wrap my legs around, so I just climb with my hands.), or even fingertip pushups and pullups, or towel pullups. Everything can be done with BW.

I almost forgot sledgehammer drills for forearm strength! Still no gym!
    I did a google-fu kata on "iron coil bodyweight exercise" but nothing showed up. Do you have any links on it??? I'd like to see that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:41pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's quit impressive, but more often than not the BWE people I meet tend to lack the diet or dedication that you exhibit. More often than not this results in thinner body types without as much muscle mass.

I definitely think you're right in that it is possible. Just more difficult without weights and such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:50pm

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i hope this thread helped someone at least... i know that the stuff i put up was lame but hey it was a quick grade. i just used inner-tubes instead of powerbands i didn't want this to be a tangent onto bodyweight exercising. I could have easily done that instead but nearly everyone did someform of that from pilates-to urban playground exercise, one chick even did tai chi... i just hope someone got usefull information is all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:51pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.elasticsteel.com/prv8powerironcoill.html

I could be wrong, but I think this is what he's talking about.

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very, very interesting thread. If there one reason I'd like to learn more about BWE is to find a way to replace bench presses. It's killing my shoulders, and I've been swithcing to dips (BW and with weighted chains), push ups in the order of hundreds as well as one hand push ups. They are easier on my shoulders, BUT they do not bang the **** out of my pec muscles the same way bench presses do. That's my conundrum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast