Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 1:23pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

West Island Jiu-Jitsu

As the name implies, West Island Jiu-Jitsu it is located in the west of Montreal in the town of Kirkland. The school is collocated with the West Island Karate Club on the second floor of strip mall on St-Charles Boulevard near highway 40.

There are 4 classes a week each an hour and half long. Classes take place on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday with the instruction being primarily done by blue and purple belts. The head instructor (Ron Pattyn) is present only on Saturdays.

Monday and Thursday are technical classes, where one or more techniques are demonstrated and practiced ending with 30 minutes of grappling. Tuesday nights are grappling only, and Saturdays are open to whatever you want to do (you can choose to grapple, ask the instructor questions, learn techniques, etc). The classes never seem to exceed 10 people, which provides and great instructor/student ratio.

The attitude of all the people I have met so far is relaxed and friendly, and they will let you work at your own pace. As far as I can tell there are no fragile egos here.

The facilities are clean, but my only complaint would be that the mat area is small. The school is primarily a Kyukushin Karate school and as such most of the space is taken up by the Karate classes.

Of note also is that the monthly price covers access to all the classes at the school, both Jiu-Jitsu and Karate.
    Last edited by rw4th; 11/15/2006 11:59pm at .