Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:21am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Bart Vale's Shootfighting BS?

http://www.shootfighting.com/dvd_isfa.html

I found a school that teaches Shootfighting and the problem is I can't tell if it's bullshido, the guys I rolled with there are obviously better than me but that's not really hard to achieve. But if they get certified through video that can't bode well for the system. Also, I know they at one point they had at least one guy that competed at Grappler's Quest. So has anyone heard anything about the system and the fighters?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:26am

Style: Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, wait, you live in Long Island...
    Where Matt Serra is.
    Where there's a Gracie Barra affiliate.
    Where Francisco Mansor has an academy.

Not to mention good kickboxing and boxing all over the city. o_O

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shootfighting

Not that wiki is the end all be all mind you but that's the jist. It was MMA before MMA became MMA(the term that is). As for the video series, obtaining rank through video certification is bad, period. Can you learn a lot from videos, sure, ask the people in my BJJ class who I've used no-gi Judo on(Judo For MMA - Karo Parisyan). Does that mean I've earned my yellow belt in Judo...hell no! Can it be a suppliment to the training I do or the fact that I don't have consistant access to qualified instruction, yes. Does it mean I'm ready to teach at the local McDojo, no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll raise the point again, why even bother considering this when there is SO MUCH good MMA in New York that it's mind-numbing.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in LI, western Suffolk. So most of the MMA places are either in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn or Western Nassau.

Ok let's look at Serra which the school is really close to me, great BJJ place, doesn't fit my schedule right now and really isn't MMA unless you count the students that go to Ray Longo's gym in Mineola which is kind of far for me, plus the schedule deal.

I really don't like the way Kioto (Mansur's Schools) teaches, They have a set curriculum that you go through, while that in itself isn't bad it's like the first week is shrimping (shoulder and hip escapes) and breakfalls and rolls. Then the second week is is either the bridge and roll escape or the Gracie gift guard pass, I forget. In that time your not even rolling. But once you get those down you can do "tactical" rolling which is basically drilling those moves you've just learned. I don't like the fact that they only compete in NYSBJJF Tournaments and only in gi. So that's right no NAGA or GQ. So basically they compete in a bubble.

Vamos Ju Jtitsu (Joe D'Arce Purple belts) is really an awesome place, great teaching, most guys there including the instructors compete. In the intro class I learned 2 subs (Americana and armbar from guard and mount) plus the mount escape and a guard pass.. The problem was that's was expensive and the schedule isn't working right now or me.

Plus all of these BJJ places rarely start standing and takedowns aren't really trained. Kioto does Judo throws but aren't done in free rolling. Serra has a takedown class but I don't know how it's incorporated into the free rolling.

Ok let's look at kickboxing. In Suffolk there aren't any MT or low kick gyms, only American FCR. Now in Nassau there's Extreme in Valley Stream, Ray Longo's gym in Mineola, and Panza in Greenvale/Glen Cove. All of these places are about 40 minutes from me but there classes are all scheduled when traffic is at it's worst so it will take at least an hour. So that's why I'm looking at this place. Which has classes that start at 9pm and is 1/2 an hour from my job and 20 miniutes from my house.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 11/07/2006 2:48pm at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok fine I'm taking the course and I'll soon be teaching it out of my own ATA dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, that's understandable. Go to jiujitsugear.com/forum and make a thread titled "Attn: New York BJJers" and then ask the question.

Brian McCloughlin and Justin Garcia are both New York based MMA fighters and school owners who post there (Garcia is an ADCC vet) and they can probably answer your question the best.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've advocated it before in other threads and I will do so again.

http://www.grapplearts.com/2006/09/t...s-training.htm

Starting a grappling group can be the way to go. You can either set down mats at your or a friends place and a group of you roll or you find a school that has lots of mat space and time and work out an arrangement. This may help you to get instruction that is within your strict time requirements. Also in that link is some tips on how to use the internet for instruction and learning from DVD's as well. There is nothing wrong with learning from a DVD as long as you are dedicated, willing to be patient, and are trying what you learned with a resisting person. Learn the it, drill it, apply it against resistance. Follow that mantra and you will be good to go until you can afford one school, can take a more advanced class at the other school, or the programs at some of the rest you mentioned are updated to your liking.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 7:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I just called the head school in FL, it's seems that the video course is only the beginning. After you complete the course you're put on a list to attend the instructor camp, after the instructor camp you still have more other steps to complete to become an ISFA icertified instructor. So even if you buy the DVDs and complete the Instuctor course you not a certified instructor.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast