Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Food before training plus other crap

What do you guys/gals eat before you train. Today I was so busy at work I didnt eat lunch, I got to practice and I was dying. Is there anything in particular you like to eat before a workout, my coach said he doesnt recommend eating 3 hours before a hard workout. But I dont just want to go eat like a big mac and a few hours later go have that lugging around in the gut.

Also, we have been doing shin conditioning twice a week which is basically getting a partner and doing some low intensity kicks and blocks. What the hell is the best thing for the swelling and bruising. I dont mind the swelling or bruising but 2 days later we do it again and it hurts 10x worse when I am kicking 2 day old bruises. I mean I get through it and dont show my partner it hurts but when I get home good god.

Thanks Again for all the tips! Maybe one day Ill be able to answer questions haha.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 1:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What time is martial arts training and what time do you normally have lunch ? Have a decent lunch if you feel hungry, but about 1.5 hours before training have a piece of fruit or something light like some rice.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 1:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training is 6pm, and 7:30pm on other days. I eat lunch around 1-1:30.

But on days I workout I always try to watch what I eat, just because there is this guy who has puked a few times from eating. I usually go out to lunch with peope from work then maybe 1 hour or so Ill have some jello or an orange.

I was just wondering if there are things I should look out for that could kill my energy or bog me down during a workout.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:42am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, we have been doing shin conditioning twice a week which is basically getting a partner and doing some low intensity kicks and blocks. What the hell is the best thing for the swelling and bruising. I dont mind the swelling or bruising but 2 days later we do it again and it hurts 10x worse when I am kicking 2 day old bruises. I mean I get through it and dont show my partner it hurts but when I get home good god.
    Here's an idea numb nuts, let it heal.

I hope you're not kicking each other in the leg repeatedly to "condition" your legs. That's a load of crap. As for food before you lift, something high glycemic and something with base amino acids are good for an anabolic burst. IE Gatorade or some sort of juice and a table spoon or two of peanut butter. Anything like this will work.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 3:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i usually have a banana or something if im feeling hungry. one time i had 2 cheese sammies before training, tha ended messily.

oh and thats a **** way to condition your shins.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    re: leg conditioning.

In Bas's big combat DVD's or whatever it's called he says that you should kick a partners leg for conditioning, but that you want to keep it just below the brusing and injury threshhold or "you'll be out for two weeks to heal". Take that how you will.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to eat a couple of hours before going for practice (if it's a moderate to heavy meal). As gross as it sounds, I want my guts empty when I go practice. Alex's idea of a banana is a good one too. It won't make you feel bloated and yet give you some nourishment.

At other times (actually, what I'm trying right now), I drink a protein shake (300-something cals, 48g protein, some fat and fiber) just about 1 hour before going to class. Since it is a shake with low volume and not that heavy, I can drink it within an hour of training. Anything heavier, I'd take two hours before. And after class, another protein shake.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No its not like we are sitting there booting each other in the legs. And we dont go until we cant walk anymore. Ten good contact kicks, but not hard. But since this is around the second week of doing itafter 2-3 solid (not hard) hits I know its gonna bruise. He said heavy bag will condition your shins for the majority but my goal is to eventually fight. So he just tosses in a little bit just to give us an idea of what its like. All other times we have shin guards on if we are sparring with each other.

I know bashing your shins like crazy is bad and even unsafe for your shins.

Thanks for the tips on the food and the shins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:40am

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found having a few fig newtons before class works really well for me. It ties me over so I don't get hungry until around the end of class but I wouldn't start getting a puking feeling from having people on top of me for 3 hours, nor cramps, and I had energy. Try it out and see what happens.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Acai or a banana for me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast