Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:44am

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah like the other guys said, get a professional (or a guy who has a lot of experience ) to show you the o-lifts.

I don't do deads, when I lifted it was mostly squats, high pull, hang clean.

You can look at the squat as the foundation for it. high pull is the first part of a hang clean. so you can work up to doing the hang cleans. Also, if you're smart in the beginning you'll practice with a wood pole with no weight, until you can do the clean right.

Make sure you eat right--this stuff will tear you up. I don't do o-lifts now (mostly bodyweight stuff these days) but when I did them it totally changed my judo. For the better.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 4:58pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Wrong, mothafucka!

O-lifts are great, but shouldn't even be messed around with until you have excellent connective tissue strength and impeccable form in -- at the very least -- the squat and the deadlift.

Lunges are closer to what you should start with; lord knows they're easier to do. However, heavy isn't the whole answer. You're looking for power, not maximal strength.

A very basic periodized template to work from would indicate working within the 8-10 rep range to gain some size, dropping that to 4-6 while you go heavy (bear in mind, I'm assuming that you're fairly new to lifting) and then gradually dropping from 60% of 1RM to to nil as you work toward maximum speed.

Instability is fine to work with once in a while, say on the odd recovery day, but that's about that, IMO.

Don't forget to work your hammies too.
    I've been lifting for 3-4 years so I'm relatively solid and weights no longer go flying randomly around the gym when I touch them.

I will definitely consider your advice though. I'm one of those lifters that doesn't understand the science behind making progress... at all. Attentiveness to the advice of those smarter than I am is probably the only reason I've made progress up to this point.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 5:40pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad I could be of help.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 10:40pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I've been lifting for 3-4 years so I'm relatively solid and weights no longer go flying randomly around the gym when I touch them.

I will definitely consider your advice though. I'm one of those lifters that doesn't understand the science behind making progress... at all. Attentiveness to the advice of those smarter than I am is probably the only reason I've made progress up to this point.
    Same here. I had been lifting for a few years (started in middle school) before I started Oly lifts and I'm glad I got the quality instruction on them (Thanks Coach M!). Other lifts certainly have technique involved, but Oly lifts are immensely easier to learn properly when you've got an instructor walking you through the various skill transfer drills that constitute the movements.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 11:46pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that Guile from Street Fighter in your avatar? I knew he was real!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:18am

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Olympic lifts are great for an explosive shot, but a good takedown consists of both lowering your level and a penetration step. Here are some exercises that will help with your takedown as a whole.

Wall Sits (Brace against a wall with knees bent at 90 degrees), Free Squats (squats with no weight), and Cherry Pickers (Like free squats, but jump) will help you in lowering your level.

Duck Walk (steps to your knees with your hands behind your head) will help with your penetration step.

Some gyms have a throwing dummy propped up on the wall with a spring so you can practice shots without a partner.

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 2:20am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yock

Some gyms have a throwing dummy propped up on the wall with a spring so you can practice shots without a partner.

The ADAM takedown machine is one of the best training devices ever created!
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 12:59pm

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have to agree that the only way to get stronger with the shot is to do it. My best poorman training tool was a 100 pound heavy bag with mondo amounts of duct tape holding it together. I used it for single/double leg lifts and dumps, bear hug, duck unders, hip/headlock throw, Leg hooks, reaps and of course for added weight for squats/duckwalks/lunges/bridging. I also used it for sprawl drills and carried it log style while running up and down hillsides.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 7:33pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PLYOMETRICS, get a book, hire a trainer or look up routines on the internet. They are designed for explosive power. Optimally, do a variation of just about any excersice where you explode through it and don't stop at a statice point, example instead of doing regular pushups, do the hand clapping variety. There are examples of leg excersices that follow the same principals.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123