Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT & BJJ these days

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a fitness trainer in training I vote also for the Olympic lift . . . if you can actually do an olympic lift. Looking into anything explosive and powerful for the legs, like squats and what not. On a side note, maybe your core isn't keeping your position on the take down and so you may want better form. Try squats on dynadiscs or other labile surfaces for developing that really steady form.

Of course, I'm not a certified trainer yet . .

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:26pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unstable surface training generally sucks. Personal trainers do those, not athletes. Your core gets plenty strong from being at the bottom of a heavy squat, good morning or overhead press. There are good ways to train your core in addition, but unstable surface traning is not one of them.

Shooting (like sprinting) is pretty hamstring (not quad) dominant, I believe.

Deadlifts and variations (romanian). Glute-ham raise. Lift fast -- none of this slow crap.

The unilateral exercises are good, too, as others have said (lunges, step ups, split squats, 1 legged deadlifts)

O-lifts and variations (high pulls, hang cleans, dumbell clean and push press, etc...). One armed snatches are a favorite.

And my personal favortite: the overhead squat.

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 9:47pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Since the trains of thought seem to be divided between Olympic Lift heavy and lunge heavy I think I'll experiment with the numerous prescriptions given here for a while and see the results.

Unfortunately that'll take some time, but luckily I don't have much else to do at my pitifully young age.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont listen to monk his ma suks

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his back hurts

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the same place monk did

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:07pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright fucker its shitter duty for you at work tommarow! love ya brucee!

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 12:45am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Since the trains of thought seem to be divided between Olympic Lift heavy and lunge heavy I think I'll experiment with the numerous prescriptions given here for a while and see the results.

Unfortunately that'll take some time, but luckily I don't have much else to do at my pitifully young age.
    I'm not familiar with your level of experience with Oly lifts, but I highly recommend that you find a qualified lift instructor. Oly lifts are rather technical and good instruction can save you a lot of trouble later. Most universities have certified Oly lift instructors and depending on the area, some high schools have them as well.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:00am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak

Wrong, mothafucka!

O-lifts are great, but shouldn't even be messed around with until you have excellent connective tissue strength and impeccable form in -- at the very least -- the squat and the deadlift.

Lunges are closer to what you should start with; lord knows they're easier to do. However, heavy isn't the whole answer. You're looking for power, not maximal strength.

A very basic periodized template to work from would indicate working within the 8-10 rep range to gain some size, dropping that to 4-6 while you go heavy (bear in mind, I'm assuming that you're fairly new to lifting) and then gradually dropping from 60% of 1RM to to nil as you work toward maximum speed.

Instability is fine to work with once in a while, say on the odd recovery day, but that's about that, IMO.

Don't forget to work your hammies too.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather than choose oly over squats or vice versa do them both. Oly lifters do both and so do strength athletes, your chosen sport dictates where you put more effort thats all.

And for safety I would do the power variations of the oly lifts since your not going to compete in oly lifting.

As far as the unstable workout, I would think ( but have no qualifications to be honest) that it if using heavy enough weights to get stronger you could hurt yourself on the unstable surfaces. Overhead squat I read helps the core a lot, I will start them next workout actually.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast