Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 11:59pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Essential lifts for an explosive shoot?

Recently I added deadlifting into my workout routine (1.5-2x bodyweight) and after only a few weeks I've felt a noticeable strength difference in certain aspects of my wrestling.

This led me to question what must be done to overcome my relatively weak takedown attempts. At the moment they're rather unexplosive... hell... they just plain suck. So asides from drilling takedowns obsessively what lifts and muscle groups would you recommend targeting to build a more explosive shot?

I'm blanking at the moment and can only seem to think of squats, deadlifting, and cleaning.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cleans and other olympic lifts.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 12:59am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    squats and dumbell lunges.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 1:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    squats an power cleans I'd say. Rather than focus on body parts like glutes or hamstrings, focus on a movement like the stated squats and cleans.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 2:57am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    squats and dumbell lunges.
    That's what my gym trainer prescribed specifically for shoots.

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 3:50am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's all good, and there is almost no lifting that won't benefit you, but what you experience as 'explosiveness' in your shots is more a product of timing and set-up than muscle.

Of course, it never hurts to make yourself stronger and faster...
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 10:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshinryu karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    experiment with different lunges, dude. use dumbbells, or do lots of them with no weights with your hands out in front of you. you can also try to hold barbells over your head and do them, or out in front of you like you're doing a front raise. and of course, the best way to learn how to do anything effectively: just do it!! find somebody who doesn't mind getting tossed around and practice your takedowns on them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:09am

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i personally like high leg step ups with dumbells due to the fact it isolates the quads for optimum efficiency, but lunges and squats are good for lift/drive strength. find yourself a 100 pound heavy bag (lots of used sports equipment on ebay) and practice shooting into it (not while on the chains so you can pick it up and move it around). granted its difficult to utilize since it doesn't have arms or legs, but its great for single leg pick ups, double leg, bear hug, duck under drills, hip/head throw... you get the idea. also it sounds stupid but explosive squat jumps (start with your knees parallel to your hip and then lump to a straight leg position while reaching up with out swinging your arms for momentum, then return to the deep squat on the way down) up a hill or onto a bench.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another vote for the Olympics lifts and all their variations. Lift fast to get fast.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lunges carrying a sandbag/heavybag. Walking backwards from a squat position as well; the later doesn't necessarily mimick the movement of a shoot, but it does hit the quads DEEEEEEP. Also, you better have strong and flexible hip abductors and flexors for anything explosive.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast