Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 11:16am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    You guys are such assholes here sometimes. How do you know what he is and is not qualified to read? I take BJJ and I use books too. Not as my main teacher but just to see new things. If I see something I like, I ask if anyone has seen it or used it before and drill it with a partner. I ask the instructor about the move and how its done. He then shows me if Im making any mistakes with it. Thats it.

I dont know any instructionals on leg locks but a good all around book is Submission Grappling by Royler Gracie. It has no-gi leg locks in it as well as other techniques.
    Vagina. Sand. Remove.

If you were paying attention, we just had a crappler come on before this thread and start asking how do leglocks. Notice, however, we (for the most part) didn't react to this guy in the same way at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 5:28pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok maybe i took this the wrong way, someone looking for instructionals on whole set ups, escapes and counters is either
    - learning from the instructor and wants supplementary material
    - not learning from anyone and is going to get themselves hurt

if you are the first one (i suspect you are, now that i am not assuming stupid stuff)
    - erik paulson
    - bas rutten
    for basic setups and application, i cant help you with the more advanced stuff because i have never looked for it (i'm still learning the basics, i dont even do them in class because i'm not confident)

i forget the actual names of the dvd's but i can look them up if you are interested.

try asking johnnys or aseopian through PM's both of them offer great advice constantly on these boards & i'm sure they know better reference stuff than my noobish self
    Last edited by roly; 11/07/2006 9:37pm at .

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roy Harris has a great Leglock tape/dvd that is an excellent starter. It covers all the holds, set-ups and finishes you'll need.

For kneebars alone, I cannot recommend highly enough Stephan Kestings Kneebar DVD. It's the most comprehensive DVD on leglocks I've seen. In fact, all of his DVDs that I've seen are excellent (omoplata, kneebars, drills and butterfly guard).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2006 7:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep meaning to pick up Kestings stuff. I've heard the same as Johnny says.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well to clear this up I am a recently promoted blue belt just looking for some supplementary material because the BJJ info on leg attacks seems to be minimal at best so hopefully no crappling I even have some videos in the throwdown section to prove it!

The Igor one seems real pricey I think at first I am going to go with some of the less cost intensive videos. Is the roy harris one Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 101 Vol 3 with roy harris? The eric Paulson one looks real good but expensive I will probably only be able to pick up one volume. The kesting one seems way to focused right now will pick that one up later though.

Does anyone know an online store to pick some of these up cheap or have them in stock because budovideos has some but is out of stock on others

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amazon has almost everything I would imagine.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:43am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with Kesting's kneebar instructional.

Available at www.grapplearts.com

End of thread.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 12:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by youtube
    get the Igor Yakimov dude, **** is awesome.
    No, you don't know leg locks well enough if you think that **** is awsome (not saying his techniques are ****). His game or his versions of the leg locks are very out dated and won't work against modern grapplers. One think I will give those instructional vidoes though is he hammers them in. Different angles, where to grip over and over. If you did get those videos I wold only suggest 1,2 and 3 for beginning entry level stuff only. You'll have to go somewhere else for advanced stuff. I can't say anything for Eric Paulson's stuff although I think he's the bomb when it comes to leg lock instruction. Then there's me (*rolls eyes and smiles.)

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 12:50pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Roy Harris has a great Leglock tape/dvd that is an excellent starter. It covers all the holds, set-ups and finishes you'll need.

For kneebars alone, I cannot recommend highly enough Stephan Kestings Kneebar DVD. It's the most comprehensive DVD on leglocks I've seen. In fact, all of his DVDs that I've seen are excellent (omoplata, kneebars, drills and butterfly guard).
    Roy Harris is the bomb but I've never seen his tapes. Stephan Kestings? Must look him up.

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 5:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm eagerly awaiting Stephan Kestings new 1/2 guard DVD. I'm playing a lot of half-guard right now and don't feel like I have too many problems, but I always pick up new ideas from Kestings DVDs.

Check out www.grapplearts.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast