11/04/2006 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chinese 7 Animal Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Honestly Where's Rudy Abel now ?

Hello All!

Two questions...

1) Does anyone happen to know of any Wing Chun instructors near Palm Springs, CA? I've looked and cannot find any. I'm hoping that there is a private instructor that someone knows about.

2) Is Wing Chun a good style for practical self-defense? Without getting into a style vs. style debate... is there a style that is especially well suited for practical street defense?

Thank you!
    Eric

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 5:44pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun sucks. Do searches on it. There've been tons and tons of threads dedicated to how much wing chun sucks. (This also applies to wing tsun, wing tzun, ving tsun, etc.)

I did wing chun for two years before quitting. RunningDog and others have had similiar experiences. It sucks.

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Suen Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSkull
    Hello All!

Two questions...

1) Does anyone happen to know of any Wing Chun instructors near Palm Springs, CA? I've looked and cannot find any. I'm hoping that there is a private instructor that someone knows about.

2) Is Wing Chun a good style for practical self-defense? Without getting into a style vs. style debate... is there a style that is especially well suited for practical street defense?

Thank you!
    Eric
    Having seen some of the responses on this site, specifically regarding wing chun, I hope to answer your questions before anyone else to prevent the same generalised onslaught of wing chun.

1. Unfortunately I don't even live in the USA, let alone Palm springs - however I would suggest finding anyone you can with a great depth of Martial Arts experience and real life street experience (if possible).

2. Depending on where you go, of course it is a practical style for self-defence. And so are many other systems/styles. It all depends on the quality and origin of what is being taught. By that I mean, the principles of any given system with real life experience of the person teaching the material.

Hopefully that is of some help, without any biased comments. My best advice is to find who you can, talk with them in person, and try to gauge an idea of how much real life experience they have - if that is what you want to get out of your training.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 5:47pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, do some searches, inform yourself. If you try wing chun you will end up regretting it, sooner or later.

Also, sure, anything can work if trained alive. As a rule, wing chun is not.

Take up kickboxing, muay thai, boxing, or something that has been proven to be effective. Wing chun as a rule sucks.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flying skull, welcome to Bullshido.
    You chose the worst possible place on the Internet to ask about a wing chun school...
    Most people's views are crystalized in ViciousFlamingo's reply.
    And the instructors I know are good are pretty far from California.
    Read around here, try to look for facts though and not hate-speech...

Tonuzaba

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 5:58pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    Wing chun sucks. Do searches on it. There've been tons and tons of threads dedicated to how much wing chun sucks. (This also applies to wing tsun, wing tzun, ving tsun, etc.)

I did wing chun for two years before quitting. RunningDog and others have had similiar experiences. It sucks.

Yeah, it was 8.5 years for me before the bubble that was my delusions finally burst. I'm glad it did, just wish it had happened sooner.

Like the above posters recommend, spend some time reading around and you'll find out which martial arts are proven to be effective. In particular, read the articles on Aliveness (homepage), then read them again.
    Stick around though, it would be awesome if you were to reconsider your choice because of the information you found here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 3:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chinese 7 Animal Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Others, simply saying, "WC SUCKS AS A RULE" are not helpful. I'm willing to listen, but more than simply slamming a style would be more beneficial. I will, however, check the older threads on the topic.

Again, thank you!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 5:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choy lee fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Palm Springs what a beautiful place you are lucky to live there

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 9:21am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I....did WC for a little bit....honestly..it is not good for any type of self defense....do yourself a HUGE favor...as you are being moved in a positive direction "by people that have done WC, they are only trying to help you" try, Muay Thai...boxing....MMA...BJJ....Uechi Ryu...something....I would even recommend TKD.....long before I would recommend WC...btw "Ex TKDer" as well..So I hope this helps ...good luck choose wisely, and stay with it....
    Welcome to BullShido....

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/09/2006 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSkull
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Others, simply saying, "WC SUCKS AS A RULE" are not helpful. I'm willing to listen, but more than simply slamming a style would be more beneficial. I will, however, check the older threads on the topic.

Again, thank you!

As a general rule, fat people use more soap.

There is a big difference between style bashing and expressing an opinion in a brusque manner.

How is the general rule you've quickly deduced from the bullshido consensus regarding the 'nun-who-must-not-be-named' style not helpful? Is it because you think you don't have to do your homework and actually read voluminous number of opinions on the subject already posted in this forum?

I'm not trolling you, I am genuinely curious why you have chosen to dismiss the general rule without actually taking the time to understand where that point of view comes from.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast