and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    launch, lp, lk, mp, mk, hp, hk, l1 super
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 10:17am

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I you talking about the wierd little stop kick wing chun people do? It's similar to something done in muay thai, but wing chun people do it completely wrong.
    Something like that: words can get in the way as much as they help, but yeah, it's that weird little "lift-and-interrupt" thing they do when they're trying hard to look like a ninja or something. Might work with some body english and a wider stance (check my back-thread, Alex, I *like* stop-hits/kicks), but focused on that line , it's just an excuse for "please beat the hell out of my thigh while I do nothing meaningful to defend myself."

There may be somebody out there who can pull it off WC-style (hell, I know a guy who can fight with tai chi), but I haven't met him/her yet.
    Last edited by Happycrow; 11/06/2006 10:19am at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I've never ever seen a WC person do anything that looked worh while with that kick, though my muay thai coach uses the stop kick to the thigh very well (he knocked Kat down mid step with one last time they sparred). He just has such awesome timing he can actually use it effectively. I can't ever imagine trying to use it in a match myself, but then my timing isn't that great (yet).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 2:53pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HULK SMASH, HULK SMASH!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2006 5:54pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    yeah, I've never ever seen a WC person do anything that looked worh while with that kick, though my muay thai coach uses the stop kick to the thigh very well (he knocked Kat down mid step with one last time they sparred). He just has such awesome timing he can actually use it effectively. I can't ever imagine trying to use it in a match myself, but then my timing isn't that great (yet).
    I use it all the time, but my school has lost a lot of folks recently to college graduation and the Army, so I'm mostly playing with folks way under my level. Our style's general take on that is that sparring even you can usually apply moves that are about four grades below your actual level... so if you could pull it off consistently in the ring, I'd be mighty scared.

Playing space, playing time, flow... all those things our teachers talk about like they're something you can point to on a kitchen table... meanwhile, you spar them and they kick your ass for a half-hour straight using nothing but sweeps. Humiliating, I tell ya...
    :qleapfrog
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123