Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:40pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your favourite high probability combos

What are the combos that keep working for you in sparring?

Let's share and learn from each other.

Please state the minor details, body positioning, movement, necessary to make it work well.

For me:

1) jab to head, cross to head, right thigh kick, left straight, move back
    - the jab, cross brings their hands up and draws their attention away from my main target, the leg. The last left straight is very important as it allows you to move away safely and foil his counter attacks. If he follows you, give him a hard teep.

2) jab to head, cross to head, right kick to midsection (depends on distance, only works well if he moves back after your jab cross, if not, use (1) )
    - same principle as above

3) jab to body, HARD cross to head (lands 80% of the time), right thigh kick, left straight, move back
    - The jab to body very often makes people drop their hands. You might need to fake a few jabs to body before you throw this combo to "teach" them to drop their hands. When doing the jab, turn your body sideways so you get maximum range, keeping your head out of range. Remember to protect your head with your left shoulder, and your head goes to the level of your punches. The closing left straight is to protect you from counters and allows you to move back safely.

4) left low kick, step in, HARD right cross
    - lean body slightly back when doing left low kick so you're out of range of punches, try to make him stumble with the kick. When opponent is distracted by kick, step in with a hard right cross to his face. It helps to point your right heel outwards to give your front leg kick torquing power.

5) left low kick, step in, HARD right cross, left shovelhook, cross, move back
    - same as above, after right cross, if opponent brings his hands up and you have an opening, lean your body forwards towards his right side, and give him a hard left shovelhook to liver. He'll most probably now drop his hands, so go for a hard right cross to his face, and get out of range.

Alternatively, instead of the cross after the shovelhook, you can go for a left hook to his head.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate

3) jab to body, HARD cross to head (lands 80% of the time), right thigh kick, left straight, move back
    if you are hitting anyone with anything 80% of the time you need to find someone better to spar with and stop fighting the blind lady across the street. and dont move straight back move at an angle.

basic combos, 1-2-uppercut. 2-3-uppercut. too many people dont train with uppercuts enough especially guys who do muay thai. guy from our gym fought wanlop, a very high ranked thai, recently. lost a split decision but it was the uppercuts he was landing almost at will that kept him in it

personally im not a fan of throwing with one hand then following up with a kick from the same side of the body. you simply arent going to generate as much speed because your body is already "stretched" from the punch. the only guys ive seen who could really pull that off could do it because their punching sucked and had no real power in it. its slower too. watch ernesto hoost and how he slams those leg kicks in. you need to be able to throw hard leg kicks off both legs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 8:11am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hook - Cross - Rear Round Kick

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 10:32am

Style: Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jab to the head, the body, head, cross.

Jab-r. uppercut-left hook

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 10:54am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basic combos:

1)I love throwing several "slow" jabs to determinate the distance and check out if I'm close enough, and then when I see that my opponent is dropping his hands a bit, BAM right high kick.

2)Left-right followed by a right low kick

3) Jab, right cross, left uppercut and then right hook.

4) Low kick feint then I kick the shin of the other leg to sweep my opponent :P.

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 11:19am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Hook - Cross - Rear Round Kick
    Khun Kao
    What's your method of setting up the hook as the first punch without getting hit going in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 12:21pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe when the opponent attacks you, you dodge his punch and then counter attack with a hook. You can hook without getting hit though, I've already done that a couple of times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 9:55pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very silly thread.

It's ridiculously style-dependent... unless you're doing the same thing over and over, or, as Alex has done, specifying the style being attacked, how can you learn from it? I'm a savateur: almost nobody here is going to wind up using the same angles I do... (seriously, this is what I hear *every* time I spar guys from other styles)

Against WC: jab-cross-round (modify angle mid-kick to hit side of leg as he raises to defend).

Against JKD: low-line round to back of knee, low-line lateral stomp to same leg, step in and sweep "rear" leg.

Against boxers: hah. Jab, cross, zipper (illegal). Legal, I get my butt kicked usually, but jab, jab, slip and straight right to body.

Against kenpo: kicks with the toe to the bladder/midline combined with anything that ties up the hands. Surprisingly, crescent kicks.

Against savateurs: (ring guys) uppercut uppercut hook elbow rinse repeat (boxe francaise guys tend to keep a sloppy guard with their hands, and usually don't handle somebody "sticking" to them).

Have played MT guys a little, but not enough to really confirm what I think might work.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    didn't we already do this thread?

Superman punch, jumping spinning back kick, front flip kick
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 10:00pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happycrow
    Against WC: jab-cross-round (modify angle mid-kick to hit side of leg as he raises to defend).
    Are you serious? My favorite combo against WC is: punch-punch-punch. Repeat as necessary.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast