218357 Bullies, 5097 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 19
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mmafreak422 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    86

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 9:58pm


     Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    BJJ School in New Jersey

    Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, but I am looking for a BJJ school in northern jersey. I googled schools within 30 min of me, and here is the list I ended up with.

    Edson Carvalho, Tri-State BJJ http://www.martialdirect.com/directo...ristatebjj.php

    Louis Vintaloro, Performance BJJ Academy http://www.armlock.com/

    Mike Mrkulic, Mrkulic BJJ Academy, http://www.mbjj.com/index.htm

    Cornerstone Martial Arts Center, http://www.cornerstonemma.com/

    Cutting Edge BJJ, http://www.cuttingedgebjj.com/

    Guerrero BJJ MMA Academy, http://www.kneeonbelly.com/

    Going to email the instructors and ask what the fees are, because not a single site lists the cost of training. If anyone has trained at or heard of any of these places or can give suggestions it would be much appreciated. thanks
  2. ViciousFlamingo is offline
    ViciousFlamingo's Avatar

    Pingo

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,189

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:13pm


     Style: BJJ & Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mmafreak, whereabouts are you from? I trained with Louis Vintaloro at Performance BJJ for a while. His website actually does list prices:

    $119/month for 2 group classes per week
    $129/month for 3 group classes per week
    $139/month for unlimited BJJ group classes per week

    I'll actually be writing up a full review of his school when I get off my lazy ass, but the school's definitely solid. He's got good competitors. The classes are pretty much quick warmup, a few minutes of watching two good guys rolling, a technique gets demoed, drills of the tech, corrections and more details on the tech, possibly a counter to the tech and drilling of the counter, positional work (king of the guard or some such), then rolling. There's a lot (A LOT) of rolling...I've spent more than three hours rolling in one day. Also, Celita Schutz (judo olympian, just won adcc trials i believe) teaches judo twice a week at the school separately.

    Mr. Vintaloro's a nice guy and the students are all great guys too. I would still be training at his school if circumstances hadn't dictated otherwise. I highly recommend you check out the school for yourself.
  3. mmafreak422 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    86

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:15pm


     Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    Hey mmafreak, whereabouts are you from? I trained with Louis Vintaloro at Performance BJJ for a while. His website actually does list prices:

    $119/month for 2 group classes per week
    $129/month for 3 group classes per week
    $139/month for unlimited BJJ group classes per week

    I'll actually be writing up a full review of his school when I get off my lazy ass, but the school's definitely solid. He's got good competitors. The classes are pretty much quick warmup, a few minutes of watching two good guys rolling, a technique gets demoed, drills of the tech, corrections and more details on the tech, possibly a counter to the tech and drilling of the counter, positional work (king of the guard or some such), then rolling. There's a lot (A LOT) of rolling...I've spent more than three hours rolling in one day. Also, Celita Schutz (judo olympian, just won adcc trials i believe) teaches judo twice a week at the school separately.

    Mr. Vintaloro's a nice guy and the students are all great guys too. I would still be training at his school if circumstances hadn't dictated otherwise. I highly recommend you check out the school for yourself.
    Yeah I saw that Celita coaches Judo there so that was a big plus for me, but is 140/month for unlimited classes a normal rate for BJJ? I'm used to judo rates which are usually a bit lower. I live in summit, this place is about a 30 min drive from my home.
  4. NoMan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    LSU
    Posts
    396

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:22pm


     Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafreak422
    Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, but I am looking for a BJJ school in northern jersey. I googled schools within 30 min of me, and here is the list I ended up with.

    Edson Carvalho, Tri-State BJJ http://www.martialdirect.com/directo...ristatebjj.php

    Louis Vintaloro, Performance BJJ Academy http://www.armlock.com/

    Mike Mrkulic, Mrkulic BJJ Academy, http://www.mbjj.com/index.htm

    Cornerstone Martial Arts Center, http://www.cornerstonemma.com/

    Cutting Edge BJJ, http://www.cuttingedgebjj.com/

    Guerrero BJJ MMA Academy, http://www.kneeonbelly.com/

    Going to email the instructors and ask what the fees are, because not a single site lists the cost of training. If anyone has trained at or heard of any of these places or can give suggestions it would be much appreciated. thanks
    I trained with Edson Carvalho in Paterson. His training is very solid in BJJ and Judo, and the workouts are ruthless. Average class I attended lasted three hours on weekdays, his weekend training lasts anywhere from 3 to 5 hours, depending upon whether you go to the MMA class afterwards.

    The only downside I can tell you is that almost no one there speaks English. Whenever Edson gets mad at you for doing the wrong thing, he starts shouting in Portugese. If you look confused, he'll shout it louder. His main black belt speaks only a little bit of English, if you do something right with him he'll say, "two points". If you screw up, he'll say, "No good, no points." There's another guy that acts as the translator if you're really shot to hell.

    That's the facility:

    http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath...mages/bjj3.jpg

    The guy on the right is the one that says, "two points".

    http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath...ages/bjj25.jpg

    and this guy will translate if you are sucking:

    http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath...ages/bjj21.jpg

    Despite his appearance, he's actually a damn good BJJ player. His knee got bust up and he just recovered when I started going there. I honestly can't tell you the prices, Edson never charged me to go. Great place anyway.
  5. ViciousFlamingo is offline
    ViciousFlamingo's Avatar

    Pingo

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,189

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:22pm


     Style: BJJ & Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I understand, BJJ tends to be pretty darn expensive, and I honestly didn't mind the $140 / month because I was getting a helluva lot out of it. Kinda stinks you gotta make that half-an-hour trip though, I used to live like 10 minutes from the place so I was there every damn chance I got. Honestly though, check around, if you were closer I'd say just go to Performance, but the distance does put a bit of a damper on it.
  6. mmafreak422 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    86

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:59pm


     Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    I trained with Edson Carvalho in Paterson. His training is very solid in BJJ and Judo, and the workouts are ruthless. Average class I attended lasted three hours on weekdays, his weekend training lasts anywhere from 3 to 5 hours, depending upon whether you go to the MMA class afterwards.

    The only downside I can tell you is that almost no one there speaks English. Whenever Edson gets mad at you for doing the wrong thing, he starts shouting in Portugese. If you look confused, he'll shout it louder. His main black belt speaks only a little bit of English, if you do something right with him he'll say, "two points". If you screw up, he'll say, "No good, no points." There's another guy that acts as the translator if you're really shot to hell.

    That's the facility:

    http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath...mages/bjj3.jpg

    The guy on the right is the one that says, "two points".

    http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath...ages/bjj25.jpg

    and this guy will translate if you are sucking:

    http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath...ages/bjj21.jpg

    Despite his appearance, he's actually a damn good BJJ player. His knee got bust up and he just recovered when I started going there. I honestly can't tell you the prices, Edson never charged me to go. Great place anyway.
    Thanks for input. I was looking at this place as a possible 1st choice because it said the instructor had a judo background. I hope he forgets to charge me for the first couple weeks =) I'll just pretend I don't understand when he is asking for "dineros"
  7. mmafreak422 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    86

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 11:02pm


     Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    From what I understand, BJJ tends to be pretty darn expensive, and I honestly didn't mind the $140 / month because I was getting a helluva lot out of it. Kinda stinks you gotta make that half-an-hour trip though, I used to live like 10 minutes from the place so I was there every damn chance I got. Honestly though, check around, if you were closer I'd say just go to Performance, but the distance does put a bit of a damper on it.
    I suppose it is a little far, the judo dojo i am at right now is 10 minutes away. I plan on taking a free lesson at a couple of these dojos and talking to the instructors. If this joint offers a more competitive price I won't mind driving a little longer to get there.
  8. NoMan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    LSU
    Posts
    396

    Posted On:
    11/03/2006 11:43pm


     Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafreak422
    Thanks for input. I was looking at this place as a possible 1st choice because it said the instructor had a judo background. I hope he forgets to charge me for the first couple weeks =) I'll just pretend I don't understand when he is asking for "dineros"
    Lol. He didn't charge me because I am good friends with one of his instructors. I also promised him free publicity. ;) If you go there, take a look at his clothing line. He has a Brazilian female who does all of his clothing, and she makes some really great stuff. The sizing is strangely in Portugese, (how could you have guessed this running theme?), but she does some really great work. My recommendation is to come on Saturday open mat time. Three reasons:

    1.) The Capoeira group runs simultaneous to the BJJ open mat time. You'll work out to Brazilian music.

    2.) There's these three complete LARP'er samurai guys that show up and train swords in the corner. I think Edson allows them to go there for his own personal amusement. You can't imagine the picture with a room full of people training MMA, and there are three guys in the corner in Samurai costumes playing with swords. Priceless.

    3.) There's usually so many people no one will know if you're a member or not.
  9. mmafreak422 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    86

    Posted On:
    11/04/2006 12:08pm


     Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah sounds cool, I suppose I will have to buy myself a Portugese-to-English translation book.
  10. Fighting Cephalopod is offline
    Fighting Cephalopod's Avatar

    Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,981

    Posted On:
    11/05/2006 2:50am

    supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edson is by far the best grappler of any of the places you mentioned; he's a 5th degree black belt under Carlson Sr. and a legitimate badass (also my instructor's instructor). He's not necessarily the best coach in the world, as already noted.

    The above are all pretty decent schools (except Cornerstone, which is actually pretty crap); which one is best for you depends on where you are geographically and what your goals are. Do you want to compete in gi tournaments? No gi tournaments? MMA fights? All of the above? None of the above?
    Last edited by Fighting Cephalopod; 11/05/2006 2:53am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.