• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Substitute crunches for situps. When I was in karate I could do about 800 situps in a row, and I still found my body conditioning lacking compared to the tougher heavyweights at the comps. I then switched to crunches and could barely do 100, but my ab strenght increased exponentially.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 3:51pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's always the old favorite of madadors where on the down stroke of your sit up someone drops the medicine ball on your stomach with your hands in the waiting position on either side of your stomach from about 2.5 to 3 feet then on the contraction you grab the ball and raise it up handing it back to the person you are working with. It will help with abdominal strength, train you to contract when about to get hit and you will be used to getting hit. Or so the bull fighters say. I've done it occassionally and it definitely makes you feel like you're gonna puke the first few times. Just limit the reps.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 4:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your abs are plenty strong. Your timing and evasion are what suck. It will come with time. There are a few tips though. You certainly wnat to trian yourself to tense the abs and exhale when you get hit but more importantly don't let yourself get hit directly try to roll your body with the shots so you aren't taking a solid impact.

The situps where someone drops a medicine ball on you or hits you with a thaipad are good for learning the impact timing and tightening your stomach fast.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 8:03pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want a tougher body, just hit your abs against a block of wood until the wood breaks. Then your abs are slightly harder than the wood. Move up to Brass, Iron, and Steel. Iron stomach!

On a serious note, your ab routine sounds pretty good (although I do suggest crunches over sit-ups) but just having good abs won't protect you in itself. You'll have to work on tensing your abs to meet the hits and slipping away from the shots - don't worry, this gets A LOT easier with time.

You might try a drill where one person puts on some 14 or 16 oz. gloves and punches you in the abs while your practice tensing your abs to meet the shots. This is a fun excercise in that you work your abs and your toughness at the same time, and the other guy gets to work on body shots! A crazy old man reccommended this to me, but he was a pretty good boxer, so I'd trust him (and I do it too, now ;)

Stick with it!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manu did that drill with me and Kat when we first started training with him. After about the third hit I dropped and started whimpering like a little baby... of course I'd like to think I've got a stronger torso now.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 4:35am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what is all this ab workout ****? you'll learn how to move with a punch after a while. until then, you're gonna hurt. end of story. if you really want to lessen the impact eat loads of KFC until you become fat as a house. the padding will protect you real good

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 11:22am

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the ab workout thing isn't what it's about, that is why we are telling him to practice drills where he learns to contract the abdominal muscles when he's going to get hit. The drill Epicurus and what I said about the medicine ball are basically going to help develop muscle memory and just develop a desensitizing to getting hit in the gut. It is just going to take time. The point about evasion is good as well. I'd also think you might want to have your fighting stance evaluated. If you are constantly getting hit dead on in the target area gut or where ever you might be presenting too much of a target and not protecting yourself properly. I had a similar problem learning to keep my elbows tucked in to protect the ribs. After a couple of shots and a cracked rib I learned damn fast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 2:45pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    what is all this ab workout ****? you'll learn how to move with a punch after a while. until then, you're gonna hurt. end of story. if you really want to lessen the impact eat loads of KFC until you become fat as a house. the padding will protect you real good
    Actually, this might not be a bad idea. I mean, not that eating a freaking load of KFC to become a fat cow is good, but I've read several times that having good abs + a thin layer of body fat on your torso is the best for taking hits. It's probably why there aren't so many fighters with ripped abs or something... Except black people who tend to have a ripped body no matter what o_o.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually I think most fighters don't go into the ring completely shredded because they try to eat good to have sufficient energy for fighting. I don't really feel that the little bit of fat padding helps much. It's sure never seemed to help me lol.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 3:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some basics you need to know: breathe out when you get hit, it will stop you from getting the wind knocked out of you. Roll with the hits you to take, and move laterally away from the shot. I know it's TKD and you're normally linear, but you still circle away from shots. Also, keep your elbows tight and take kicks to your body on your bicep, not your ribs.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast