Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taking hits

I'm fairly new to MA, I did take a crap taekwondo class before and some Bujinkan, so anyway this has left me with not sparring experience.

I'm doing Taekwondo (yes, yes I'm looking for other options but so far no luck I'm in a small city in Korea) anyway, I did my first sparring session today with pads. I've been doing crunches about three to four times a week as well as sit ups for about the past ten years and I'm only 26. Yet at the end of sparring I felt like I was going to throw up from stomach shots. I am quite dissapointed, some of the problem is I'm an inexperienced white belt and took way more shots than I should have, but I would have thought with my ab training and the pads I wouldn't have felt this bad.

Will I toughen up with more sparring or is maybe my ab training not what it should be?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what kind of ab routine are you doing? I'm a puny little girl and I generally don't find most body shots to be too troublesome unless I really get caught. Maybe work on your evasion lol.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta learn to tense the gut before you get hit.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bit of karate style body conditioning wouldn't do any harm.
    Last edited by Odacon; 11/03/2006 1:24pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    what kind of ab routine are you doing? I'm a puny little girl and I generally don't find most body shots to be too troublesome unless I really get caught. Maybe work on your evasion lol.
    Well I'm only a 145 pounds and being you do your work without pads I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're a lot tougher than me :D

I do four sets of two hundred sit ups and then four sets of two hundred where I lift my legs up to my chest while I'm lying down (sorry don't know the name for those.) I used to do weighted stuff at the gym as well although I don't have the time or the money for a gym membership as well. I do have handweights though if you know anything I could do with those.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Gotta learn to tense the gut before you get hit.
    Is there anything to breathing in on impact and then breathing out or is that old hokey kung fu stuff? Don't know that I'd have the wherewithal to time it even if it is useful, perhaps with practice....

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingplaya4
    Well I'm only a 145 pounds and being you do your work without pads I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're a lot tougher than me :D

I do four sets of two hundred sit ups and then four sets of two hundred where I lift my legs up to my chest while I'm lying down (sorry don't know the name for those.) I used to do weighted stuff at the gym as well although I don't have the time or the money for a gym membership as well. I do have handweights though if you know anything I could do with those.
    I think you're going a little over board on the situps, actually, though I'd think you'd have a pretty tough body at this point. My advice as far as ab workout goes is try adding weight to the point where it becomes difficult to do 100 and go from there (dumb bells should be good, I use a medicine ball). I'd also recommend keepig your elbows in and learning to protect your body. The breathing thing you mentioned sounds pretty iffy, since if you get caught while breathing in it'll totally knock the wind out of you (I've had this happen to me a few times). Just do as PirateJohn mentioned and try tensing up as you get hit. Seems to work for me.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you're going a little over board on the situps, actually, though I'd think you'd have a pretty tough body at this point. My advice as far as ab workout goes is try adding weight to the point where it becomes difficult to do 100 and go from there (dumb bells should be good, I use a medicine ball). I'd also recommend keepig your elbows in and learning to protect your body. The breathing thing you mentioned sounds pretty iffy, since if you get caught while breathing in it'll totally knock the wind out of you (I've had this happen to me a few times). Just do as PirateJohn mentioned and try tensing up as you get hit. Seems to work for me.
    How do use the medicine ball just hold it in the middle of your chest while sitting up?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do a few different exercises with the medicine ball.

1. lock legs with a partner and do situps tossing the ball back and forth as you sit up

2. Keep your legs flat on the ground (preferrably with someone sitting on them) and sit up while holding the medicine ball just under your chin

3. Have some stand on your feet and drop the medicine ball on your belly, as the medicine ball hits you in the body do a crunch, do a seated twist with the ball in hand (works the sides of the body) and toss the ball back

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do a few different exercises with the medicine ball.

1. lock legs with a partner and do situps tossing the ball back and forth as you sit up

2. Keep your legs flat on the ground (preferrably with someone sitting on them) and sit up while holding the medicine ball just under your chin

3. Have some stand on your feet and drop the medicine ball on your belly, as the medicine ball hits you in the body do a crunch, do a seated twist with the ball in hand (works the sides of the body) and toss the ball back
    Cool, thanks for the tips :)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast