Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    I'm not sure if I'd agree that Kyokushin is Korean Karate,
    Try and follow me with this logic here. I know it's really complicated.

TKD = Karate started by Koreans
    Kyokushin = Karate started by a Korean

I rest my case.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Try and follow me with this logic here. I know it's really complicated.

TKD = Karate started by Koreans
    Kyokushin = Karate started by a Korean

I rest my case.
    TKD = Karate transplanted to Korea by Koreans and mixed with a (very) little Chuan Fa and at least culturally influenced by Taekyon
    Kyokushin = Karate started in Japan by a Korean with a Japanese name, who studied Karate in Japan, and was further developed and refined by his Japanese students

If I move to Mexico, try to assimilate into the culture and start a mariachi band, am I playing American music?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 3:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I've only been taking it a month, and I'm still a whitebelt, but I can already dispell a couple of things on this thread, at least as its taught in Korea.

You are taught to keep your hands up, unless you are point sparring. You are not taught to spar doing sideways stance, you are taught a basic martial arts stance where your front foot is straight, your back foot is at a forty five degree angle, and your body is straight towards your opponent. You are taught to never kick with the ball of your foot, but with the part of the foot just below the shin.

Also, even the older black belts at my school generally just use basic kicks. Maybe they are not that good yet, I don't know don't speak the language that well. That said, I have never seen the master teaching me or any of the advanced students anything that would approach being considered very flashy. I see roundhouse, front snap, ax, crescent, and side. I've seen Korean sparring videos, so obviously these flashy kicks are taught, I suspect maybe after 1st Dan? No matter what the purpose of training would seem stupid to teach them early, you have to walk before you can run after all.

In Korea, (and this is not just what my master has said I've heard it a lot here) Taekwondo is regarded as more of a sport than self defense. Hapkido is what they study if they're interested in self defense (no idea if this is any better, but that's what I'm told is the belief here).

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 3:12pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    TKD = Karate transplanted to Korea by Koreans and mixed with a (very) little Chuan Fa and at least culturally influenced by Taekyon
    Kyokushin = Karate started in Japan by a Korean with a Japanese name, who studied Karate in Japan, and was further developed and refined by his Japanese students

If I move to Mexico, try to assimilate into the culture and start a mariachi band, am I playing American music?
    Look up irony and sarcasm.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 3:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Look up irony and sarcasm.
    OK, got you you. I missed the ironic tone of your voice.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 3:28pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're new here.

You'll learn. Just read my sig.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 3:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingplaya4
    Ok, I've only been taking it a month, and I'm still a whitebelt, but I can already dispell a couple of things on this thread, at least as its taught in Korea.

You are taught to keep your hands up, unless you are point sparring. You are not taught to spar doing sideways stance, you are taught a basic martial arts stance where your front foot is straight, your back foot is at a forty five degree angle, and your body is straight towards your opponent. You are taught to never kick with the ball of your foot, but with the part of the foot just below the shin.

Also, even the older black belts at my school generally just use basic kicks. Maybe they are not that good yet, I don't know don't speak the language that well. That said, I have never seen the master teaching me or any of the advanced students anything that would approach being considered very flashy. I see roundhouse, front snap, ax, crescent, and side. I've seen Korean sparring videos, so obviously these flashy kicks are taught, I suspect maybe after 1st Dan? No matter what the purpose of training would seem stupid to teach them early, you have to walk before you can run after all.

In Korea, (and this is not just what my master has said I've heard it a lot here) Taekwondo is regarded as more of a sport than self defense. Hapkido is what they study if they're interested in self defense (no idea if this is any better, but that's what I'm told is the belief here).
    The side fighting stance is more of 70s/80s thing. I'm not sure if it evolved for point sparring or if it is a more traditional Karate thing (I've seen some pics of Funakoshi in this stance), but you're right that most WTF schools have moved away from that stance and to more of a boxers stance. As for martial sport vs martial art aspect, I think you're right with regards to how Koreans view it now, but a lot (most?) TKD schools in the US market themselves as teaching an effective form of self defense, but then only do Kukki style sparring, teach forms more as a dance sequence, don't train the practical aspects of the techniques in the forms, either teach weak and ineffective "self defense" techniques as an afterthought, if at all. Then the kiddy black belts from these McDojang go out into the world thinking that they're some sort of uber-street fighting machine and get their ass handed to them if they ever get in a real fight. But I'm sure this has all been covered before by people more cogent than myself. :deadhorse
    Last edited by TEA; 11/03/2006 3:35pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mmmmm kukki

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 7:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BF

Maybe I misunderstood, but did you say Victor Solier, my Sabeom Nim's school sucked? Last time I knew, any competition in the Seattle greater area as well as Oregon was dominated by our school? If you ever spared with Victor you would understand that he teaches us how to hit with as he calls it "Trembling force". Wait I miss read, you mentioned all other schools in TKD ...:new_cussi

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 7:47pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FT2SS,

You wandered over to your keyboard. Registered at Bullshido. Thought, not doing anything worthwhile today, FTW might as well just post here.

AND THAT was your first post????

WOW, profound.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast