Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/02/2006 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=BFGalbraith]

-standing sideways to the opponent instead of head on, so that I could only defend myself with one side of my body at a time, and not get any power out of that lead side I did have available (I hear TKD guys insist that they don't do this, yet every single time they do...)
    i think the theory is that you provides less of a target, probably doesn't work that well

- artificially rigid snapping/slapping techniques (which have little power and are bad for your joints)
    not exactly sure what you mean by that?

- dropping my hands all of the time in sparring (again something TKD people are under the impression they are good at not doing.)
    definitely something massively under emphasised, i like my face intact
    - punching without putting my shoulder behind the punch
    another thing that should be emphasised
    - not putting my hips and shoulders into every kick
    I dont know what your school is like, but the school i went to tried to put a lot of emphasis on turning the hips.it fucks up your knee caps otherwise

- "round-house" kicks using the ball of the foot instead of the shin
    do you mean the" instep" of the foot, because it would be kind of hard to do a round house with the underside of your foot.

- frequent spinning kicks

- frequent hopping kicks
    These are definitely over emphasised, and would really be used only when their is a very good oppertunity, which is like what, once in blue moon.

- KIhap (Kiai)
    it's supposed to help you deliver more power in your strikes, i don't know about you , but notice i difference if i don't
    To make a long story short, you would be better off renting muay thai vidoes and imitating their kicks on a punching bag in your own basement than you would be taking a Tae Kwon Do class. The sad thing is that you would actually be much better off.
    overall i disagree, but to each his own

software engineer

Posted On:
    11/02/2006 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmasterfluffy
    - artificially rigid snapping/slapping techniques (which have little power and are bad for your joints)
    not exactly sure what you mean by that?
    do you mean the" instep" of the foot, because it would be kind of hard to do a round house with the underside of your foot.
    In tkd poomse, the blocks are done with a nice snap at the end, just for emphasis on your form. That sort of snapping is tough on your joints if you try to do it for your strikes.

The instep in the top ridge running on the top of you foot up to your ankle. While you can kick a RH with the ball of your foot, I think he meant the alternative to be the shin.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Posted On:
    11/02/2006 7:35pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm seeing an above average level of defense coming to TKD in this thread. Especially considering this is TKD Sucks Month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2006 7:58pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith
    I want to set the record straight: it's not my fault that I suck, I did TKD for three months and that is obviously the cause of all of my problems.
    So basically, what I read in that big post of yours is that you suck at TKD, and probably martial arts in general. That doesn't make you special, and it doesn't give you any great wisdom. Stick with it, though, even if you learn twice as slowly as everyone else, you'll still eventually get somewhere.

But back to the point: TKD didn't make you suck. Your inability to adapt and learn makes you suck. Your TKD school was shitty, no doubt, if they actually taught you those habits as opposed to your own sloppy adoption of techniques leading to habits they just neglected to correct, but to say that it's TKD's fault that it took you four months to break out of bad kicking habits is just an excuse for your own ineptitude. You probably shouldn't be posting on the internet, not when you could be doing concentration kicks; after all, it sounds like you need all the training time you can get just to stay at par.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2006 8:59pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is what in the flying **** can you have learned in three months of training that makes you so god damned untrainable and unadaptable. Maybe it was flexibility training where you had to have your head shoved up your ass and it took another four additional months to pull it out before you could learn to kick.

Ima just going to throw it out there and say that you suck . . . and since it is TKD sucks month . . . well I'll play along :bduh:

PS: Yup new . . . two drink minimum still in affect?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2006 9:05pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A request and a Reply

First, a request:

If you guys know of any bad-ass TKD schools in the Seattle area, please post the the contact info so I can visit and watch a class. I desperately want to be wrong about this, I want to know that there is hope for TKD since so many people are caught up in it, including a few of my own friends. But last time I was at the Tiger Balm, all I saw was the same old **** out of the TKD people, standing sideways and fencing with their lead foot, then spinning around and fencing with the other foot. Please, if you know of a great TKD school in Seattle that teaches the real TKD that is worthy to be called a martial art, I would really like to visit.

Replies:

~ "I don't know anything about TKD because I said they did round kicks with the ball of the foot": dudes, kicking with the instep is at least as bad as kicking with the ball of the foot... for one it's much easier to injure, and yes I learned that roundhouse kick in TKD as well. The point here is that neither one of these kicks are with the shin, and it's a shame that after all that "kicking" you do that this is not obvious - though based on my TKD experience I am not surprised.

~I've never claimed to be some kickboxing champ - I am actually a bit of a kickboxing screw-up (though that was later on after I learned how to kick.) But I was a wiz at TKD, the moves we easy for me to pick up because I had a background in dance and I was very flexible/nimble, and because there had been a few similar movements in the americanized FMA that I had done previously. (All that TKD I picked up was going in the opposite direction I needed to to learn kickboxing.) This is just one more point that TKD is not kickboxing in any way, shape or form.

~As far as all the theory of TKD "why they do this, why they do that," yeah I know, I used to believe the same thing. Then I got into martial arts instead of doing Tae Kwon Do.

~TehDeadlyDimMak: This is something I've noticed these TKD people saying on Bullshido a lot: "hey at least TKD is good preparation for Kickboxing." I think this is a mantra they repeat to themselves over and over in their minds, so they can calm their conscience enough to make it to TKD class when deep down inside they know better. When I was doing TKD I could sense that something was really off. Bullshido as a community has more or less condemned TKD, but (as far as I know) it hasn't come out and said "and it sucks worse than no training at all, and should not be used to prepare people for kickboxing, MMA, or self-defense" - so my anti-TKD-ness may be controversial even here on Bullshido.
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 11/02/2006 9:13pm at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 12:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow if you were taught to kick with the ball of your foot, you tkd school was extra shitty. And i wouldnt be taking about standing sideways, from the looks of it many Kickboxers stand sideways and do alot of push side kicks. But i have a feeling your not talking about "kickboxing" training to fight under Kickboxing rules right? I do agree that alot of TKD sparrers do leave there hands down. But my school doesnt teach that way, we teach a more sqaure stance and put our whole body into each kick. But 99 times out of 100 a tkd school is going to be shitty but there are some OK ones. but i do agree it can teach bad habits

software engineer

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 12:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HwangJangLee
    from the looks of it many Kickboxers stand sideways and do alot of push side kicks.
    Which ones?

software engineer

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    American kickboxers do.
    pfft. If that's what you mean by kickboxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 1:56am

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HwangJangLee
    Kickboxing = TKD!!! :headbang:
    About side-ways kickboxing, I know what you are talking about, BUT you can't count kickboxing from the 70's or before, because back then leg kicks were not allowed, so TKD type fighting was able to survive in that ruleset. However, under those rules they had a minimum # of kicks rule (3 per round I think,) because people ended up just boxing a lot without being able to put leg kicks into their combos. Most Kickboxing since the early 90's has had leg kicks, and all the sideways fighters were comically wasted once leg kicks were allowed. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace is probably the best example of that sideways kicking style, which is very different from say any of the K-1 fighters.

I know about the sideways kickboxing because THAT was essentially what that "americanized FMA" I was doing before TKD competed in (which at the time we called "full contact karate", no relation to bare-knuckle knock-down karate.) Since then that americanized FMA started training with leg kicks as soon as the opportunity arose to compete with leg kicks. Too bad I can't say the same thing for modern TKD schools.

So yeah guys, it might have been more like a few years of kicking TKD style that screwed me up, though the kicking in TKD was even more screwed up than what I was doing in the "full contact" school before.
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 11/03/2006 2:21am at .
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast