Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the info you list clashes a bit with some of the things i have heard, but my info is around 2 years old at this point, and things may have changed.

the "aliveness" level was quite low back then, and i had serious issues with the way they were teaching self defense (mostly related to overly complex scenario driven exercises with no aliveness.)

also the head instructor was quoted to me as saying that he couldn't enter grappling tournaments because he would "hurt people" which i found to be odd coming from a jujutsu sensei.

also the use of "american jiu-jitsu" is an odd choice, perhaps they are unaware of phrost's gym and coach using the same terminology. this should be addressed by someone involved with either school.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 12:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiujitsu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school has changed a lot even since I've been there (9 mos), particularly in beefing up the ground classes. A number of our students compete in grappling, and many of us (including myself) hope to compete in the future. I'd like to get to one of the Throwdowns in the near future, if I can get my schedule to work.

Here's the history of the style, the original school (which I've never attended and can't comment on) is in LI.-

http://nyjiujitsu.com/AP-WhatisJitsu.htm

I'm not familiar with Phrost's school, I'll have to check into that and see if these are the same thing (or if a copyright war is brewing).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 11:50am

Style: Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a free class there. As a plus to them, they allow up to 3 free classes in your first month. I didnt go back, partly because all their classes conflicted with my classes (I cut a class to go to the free lesson), and partly because my intro class was mostly older guys who couldnt move very well.

The basics were odd. If someone comes at you from behind, turn your torso (keep your legs in place) and punch.

As a plus to them, we quickly broke up into pairs to practice some grappling basics (standing up without turning your back, keeping your legs between you and your opponent, kicking from the ground) but actual sparring didnt happen. Im not going to make an official review of this school because I only went to a single, beginner level class. Maybe the advanced classes or BJJ classes are better.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2008 12:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiujitsu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum
    I took a free class there. As a plus to them, they allow up to 3 free classes in your first month. I didnt go back, partly because all their classes conflicted with my classes (I cut a class to go to the free lesson), and partly because my intro class was mostly older guys who couldnt move very well.

The basics were odd. If someone comes at you from behind, turn your torso (keep your legs in place) and punch.

As a plus to them, we quickly broke up into pairs to practice some grappling basics (standing up without turning your back, keeping your legs between you and your opponent, kicking from the ground) but actual sparring didnt happen. Im not going to make an official review of this school because I only went to a single, beginner level class. Maybe the advanced classes or BJJ classes are better.
    I'm not going to shift my grades around again, but my view has shifted a bit since I became solely focused on BJJ. The instructor, Aaron Milam, recently received his BJJ black belt from John Danaher (Renzo Gracie), and is fantastic. The BJJ program has expanded greatly since when I started, and if that's your interest I would consider this a smaller, (slightly) cheaper alternative to Renzo's school. I think the average age is around 25-30, and there's a pretty good variety as far as size/athleticism.

As far as the Japanese style jiujitsu, I think it has value but it's not where I'm at right now, and it definitely has some quirks to it that aren't 100% realistic. There is an intensive course that I think has something close to sparring, but the BJJ goes live right from the Beginner classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 6:54pm

Style: Karate, Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalyps
    I'm not going to shift my grades around again, but my view has shifted a bit since I became solely focused on BJJ. The instructor, Aaron Milam, recently received his BJJ black belt from John Danaher (Renzo Gracie), and is fantastic. The BJJ program has expanded greatly since when I started, and if that's your interest I would consider this a smaller, (slightly) cheaper alternative to Renzo's school. I think the average age is around 25-30, and there's a pretty good variety as far as size/athleticism.

As far as the Japanese style jiujitsu, I think it has value but it's not where I'm at right now, and it definitely has some quirks to it that aren't 100% realistic. There is an intensive course that I think has something close to sparring, but the BJJ goes live right from the Beginner classes.
    I didnt get a chance to go to a BJJ class, Ill try to do so when I get back to NY.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/31/2008 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Predictable.

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 6:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu