I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Toronto, Canada New Toronto Academy of Martial Arts - Goju-jitsu

New Toronto Academy of Martial arts is what I like to call a progressive TMA. That is a school that still keeps TMA values and techniques but is not a slave to them and believes in alive training.

Goju-jitsu is a style that looks to use all levels of combat, striking, throws and grappling. As such you start off learning a bit of everything and keep going that way.

one of the main sparring tools is Sport Jiu jitsu / Sport Ju Jutsu (or how ever you want to spell it) which is a competitive sparring system combining all three aspects.

It is a ton of fun

The grappling is good and recently they added a 3 stripeblue belt to the school to instruct the Wednesday night grappling only class.

Friday night is also sport Jiu jitsu night so between those two classes you're guaranteed at least 2 hours of sparring. Also in any class you may be called upon to "get your gear on" for sparring or grappling or both.

Having said that it still is a TMA school and the curriculum contains Kata's - one for each belt level.

I personally enjoy the Kata's as they are NOT over done and besides learning them usually are only brought out for either a warm up or warm down. So you don't spend hours a week practicing your downward sweeping block.

The people there are very friendly and nice and it is a family type of dojo, with many kids and parents both going to classes. Although at separate times.

As far as Kids classes go Renshi Neville is one of the best instructors I have ever seen with children, he doesn't yell yet when he speaks he can get a whole room of 6 year olds to pay attention. The exercises are fun adn informative and there is a lot of supervised and controlled sparring and grappling.

Kids are not rushed through belts in fact Renshi is not a big fan of the Junior black belt and falsely inflating kids egos.

Cons

This is not a competition oriented school. There are a couple competitions we go to a year and hold 2 in house comps for kids but that's about it. if you want serious competition training this is not it.

Also the style is good, with comprehensive striking, throwing and grappling, but as the saying goes - jack of all trades master of none. If your goal is to become a world class striker or grappler, this is not for you.

however if you want a well rounded and rewarding system that is always interesting and challenging goju-jitsu is an excellent choice.

it's also a good foundation to have to build on if you want to go into further study else where.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been there, it's great

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 5:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey wow someone else from my dojo? Do you still go there? What's the story?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 9:39pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, I'm looking for a new dojo in the Toronto area. I already have a nidan in Goju Ryu karate, but I'm a little out of shape.

How is Goju-Justu different than Goju Ryu karate?

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 10:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2groggy
    Hmmm, I'm looking for a new dojo in the Toronto area. I already have a nidan in Goju Ryu karate, but I'm a little out of shape.

How is Goju-Justu different than Goju Ryu karate?
    Less emphasis on Kata and one step sparring, more jiujitsu, with judo stlye take downs, subs and continuous sparring. Basically Sport jiu jitsu style sparring and the grappling classes are BJJ based and taught by a guy who has been doing BJJ for 10 years.

They also have classes for pure Goju karate as well. Right now I prefer the grappling but also enjoy the karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 6:20pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Less emphasis on Kata and one step sparring, more jiujitsu, with judo stlye take downs, subs and continuous sparring. Basically Sport jiu jitsu style sparring and the grappling classes are BJJ based and taught by a guy who has been doing BJJ for 10 years.

They also have classes for pure Goju karate as well. Right now I prefer the grappling but also enjoy the karate.
    Thanks.

Shortly after I sent my message, I saw your newer review of Kombat Arts. Ans I just saw the threat about the Toronto Throwdown. Once the time and place get's nailed down, I'll see if I can leave the kids with someone.

Greg

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 6:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2groggy
    Thanks.

Shortly after I sent my message, I saw your newer review of Kombat Arts. Ans I just saw the threat about the Toronto Throwdown. Once the time and place get's nailed down, I'll see if I can leave the kids with someone.

Greg

There's also xtremecouture.ca which everyone is flocking to.

It all depends on what you want and can afford and make time for, they're all good and have something different to offer.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with the owner almost daily for 10 years often 7 nights a week (we had no kids back then) starting in 1987 Its a great dojo.