Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 12:17pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are Hindu Squats a Health Risk?

Part of my daily fitness routine is to do at least fifty hindu squats just so that I can silence the nagging voice in my head telling me to work on my lower body. I recently read that there is (apparently) some controversy as to whether Hindu squates lead to knee problems in the long run.

I haven't experienced any knee troubles that I associate with Hindu squats so far (I've only been doing them as part of my routnine for like a month or two) but my knees are naturally a bit prone to getting messed up, so this is a topic of interest for me.

Does anyone out there have an anecdote or better yet a documented source of information on this?

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no source, but they have never bothered me. I do suppliment with lots of fish oil though.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done them, but the starting and ending points resemble transitions I've done from one yoga pose to another. Plus the high volume resembles another exercise (don't know the name in English) where you are on your toes, knees pass the toes and you jump from a squat possition as high as possible while remaining in the same squatted position until failure. Good stuff.

The knee over/pass the toes does put more strain on the knee ligaments. However, I do believe this is actually good, unless your knees are already fucked up or on the verge of being fucked up. People usually advocate the opposite since they think more in terms of squatting hundreds of pounds, but never in exercising through the entire range of motion.

By stretching the knee ligaments (on healthy knees, that is), you are increasing their range of motion and elasticity of those ligaments. Exercising through the full range of motion and increasing the elasticity of ligaments (in a healthy, sound manner, that is) are key in avoiding injuries.

For people with fucked up knees, this and any type of squats must be avoided. Better to concentrate on bodyweight lunges and one-leg extensions with little weight and high repetitions for as long as necessary. Once the knee is moderately healthy again, then one can try squats of any variety.

*** EDIT ***

To make it short, if they are not bothering your knees, then you are ok, and should not worry about it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 12:46pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just substitute lunges or regular weighted squats?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weighted squats usually do not hit the vastus medialis as much as it does the vastus lateralis. This is true for most people. The result of this is that the vastus medialis is not strong enough to pull the kneecap back into position in case of stress (which causes a kneecap to pop out of place.) The advantage of squats is that it recruits the entire body.

Furthermore, if your knees are banged, squats are out of the question, weighted or bodyweight.

Lunges hit the vastus medialis, just as one-leg leg extensions. However, they don't recruit the whole body at all.

Hindu squats (seems to me) do not recruit the entire body, but it is great for building up your anaerobic capacity while strenghtening your legs and knees.. It is pretty hard to use reqular squats or lunges for that purpose.

Furthermore, the more I see this, the more apparent it is that hindu squats recruit your ankles and hamstrings far more than squats. You could so something like that (sort of) with jumping squats (when you go back up, stand on the ball of your feet in a jumping motion). I would not recommend this to be done on a regular basis, though.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 1:33am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Epicurus, once again El Macho has provided a great deal of good info. One thing I would add is to beware of inbalances in strength between the two legs. It is not uncommon for one leg to stronger than the other. Make sure that both feet are in the exact same position on the ground and make sure to rise straight up (as opposed to listing to one side). In my case I found found that in my weaker leg (the left) I would rise on my toes while my right foot was flat on the floor. Correcting this helped relieve the stress on my left knee. Stretching all lower body muscles will help too.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 12:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Part of my daily fitness routine is to do at least fifty hindu squats just so that I can silence the nagging voice in my head telling me to work on my lower body. I recently read that there is (apparently) some controversy as to whether Hindu squates lead to knee problems in the long run.

I haven't experienced any knee troubles that I associate with Hindu squats so far (I've only been doing them as part of my routnine for like a month or two) but my knees are naturally a bit prone to getting messed up, so this is a topic of interest for me.

Does anyone out there have an anecdote or better yet a documented source of information on this?

Hindu Squats a health risk ? Lord, no.

I've been doing Hindu Squats for over a year now and my legs/knees have never felt stronger. Hind Squats with proper breathing is a damn good workout. Just a bit of advice. Incorporate other exercises too like one legges squats, Squats with weights (barbells or sandbags). Hindu Squats are great but don't do them everyday. Variety is the key. The more you do Hindu Squats, the more your body adapts to them. The more your body adapts to them, the less benefit you recieve. Mix it up.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 12:20am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For an anecdote: I did the stupid thing when I was 16 of running with weights on my ankles. Pretty much trashed my knees. Couldn't do leg presses without a lot of pain in the knees, and squats were out of the question. Did hindu squats for about a year, and now things are going great. Recently passed double bodyweight ATG.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe Matt Furey was right......

Hindu Squats are a lost training secret.....
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!