223802 Bullies, 3750 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 38 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Culinary Arts

Jean Ribiere describes himself as a master of the Culinary Arts. He's got thousands of dollars worth of cooking utensils, neatly organized in his kitchen. He has several aprons and chef's hats which he displays on his wall in cases when he's not wearing them. Jean also has a custom spice rack with over 120 different spices.

Every other day, he puts on his chef's hat and apron and goes into the kitchen. He takes out his knives and sharpens them. He makes sure the jars of spice are full and the cabinets are stocked with flour, sugar, and other essentials.

But Jean has never cooked a single dish; he's never even turned on his oven.

Granted, this scenario is pretty tough to believe and is even more unlikely to happen in the world of the Culinary Arts.

So why is it so common in the Martial Arts? If dressing up as a Chef and decking yourself out with all the accoutrements of Chefdom without actually cooking is asinine, why isn't dressing up as Martial Artists and practicing punching and kicking without ever trying it out on a resisting opponent? Unfortunately, thousands upon thousands of "Martial" Artists do just this.

The only explanation I can fathom is that many people are enamored with the idea of being a Martial Artist but aren't so keen on the part where you get your ass kicked along the way. These people don't want to do much more than learn to imitate fighting techniques, dress up in uniforms, and maybe even splinter some lumber. All of these things, to the uninitiated layman, appear to demonstrate fighting prowess. The progressive cheapening of the rank of black belt in Martial Arts, well known to Martial Artists, is generally unknown by "regular" people. Combine this with Hollywood's constant portrayal of Martial Arts experts as nearly (or sometimes even actually) superhuman, and you've got a recipe for attracting pretenders, poseurs, and roleplaying types.

What's the solution to this problem?

Well in a perfect world, I'd like to see everyone who attains the equivalent rank of black belt in an art be required to demonstrate their proficiency by actually fighting someone. No, I'm not advocating people run out and pick fights on the street, we already have an acceptable method for testing Martial Arts skills: Mixed Martial Arts competition.

I realize this will never happen, but it's what needs to happen, to fend off all the idiots who claim fighting prowess without having any idea what their skill level really is because they've never tested themselves. MMA rules, while not the best system to test unarmed fighting skill, are the best we have. Arguments to the need for including "girl fighting" techniques such as biting/scratching/etc are negated simply because there are no styles that I'm aware of that advocate their use to such an extent that they are the primary weapons in those styles.

Fighting, as most people with their heads screwed on correctly know, breaks down simply into two aspects: Striking and Grappling. You're either doing one, the other, or both in an unarmed fight with someone else. So fighting skill can be tested fairly easily given a ruleset which is designed to facilitate striking and grappling and place them on an even playing field. MMA, despite still evolving as a sport, is the best way of doing this testing.

But let's go back to Jean, who's now all decked out in his Chef's attire with his shiny pots and knives. What is the first thing a reasonable person would ask of Jean, if they encountered him in this state?

I don't know about you, but I'd want to try some of his cooking.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking awesome post.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you completely. I love to cook. I make baby back ribs that would make angels cry cause they can't have 'um. So good, make ya wanna slap yo mama.

In my school. When we reached BB there was an extensive testing of all materials. THEN we had to fight full contact bare knuckle with the top student. (Namely me for a quite some time.) We, of couse , also trained extensively in hard sparring with gear as well.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    I agree with you completely. I love to cook. I make baby back ribs that would make angels cry cause they can't have 'um. So good, make ya wanna slap yo mama.

In my school. When we reached BB there was an extensive testing of all materials. THEN we had to fight full contact bare knuckle with the top student. (Namely me for a quite some time.) We, of couse , also trained extensively in hard sparring with gear as well.
    Which is one of the reasons why I value your participation here; you're like KC Elbows, you actually do what you practice instead of practicing to look like you could. (Err.. yeah, that's what I meant.)

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    LOL!

Seriously though, Phrost is dead-on on this one. The black -belt test should be having to defend yourself from your master. And you know he'd be going all out to make sure you were paying attention.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Which is one of the reasons why I value your participation here; you're like KC Elbows, you actually do what you practice instead of practicing to look like you could. (Err.. yeah, that's what I meant.)
    Which brings me to my pet peeve with some. They throw baby out with the bath water. They group the fact that some schools don't have contact fighting with all the other practices that they do. As if those practices stop them from fighting.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:35pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent post Phrost. I will attempt to answer one of your questions with you own analogy. The reason people play dress up like you chef friend is because in our society (the western world.) it is considered barbaric to tell someone who claims they can make a standing rack of lamb to put up or shut up. We as a society with our bike helmets and our safety first attitude wont allow people to do what they need to prove someone wrong about their fighting aptitude. So I say let them fool themselves then when they are tested and they fail\are crippled\or die, then they will have their eyes opened to the facts that they are just LARPing their way to fitness in some cases, and in others are LARPing their way into self deception.

I think that martial arts is one of the few long cons that remains viable even after you are confronted about your fraudulent claims. We see it here on the boards all the time someone claiming to know the true nature of _ing _um rides his nut into the sunset even after several of the literate members of the board have shot enough holes in his statements that he could use it as a pasta drainer.

That is just my thought. I say let them do what they like they are only hurting themselves.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kick ass analogy. All show and no go people make me giggle.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    LOL!

Seriously though, Phrost is dead-on on this one. The black -belt test should be having to defend yourself from your master. And you know he'd be going all out to make sure you were paying attention.
    In many circumstances, fighting your teacher would be a stupid test.

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my ideal scenario, there'd be a Black Belt League where aspiring Black Belts got x # of attempts to win in a MMA match against a sanctioned opponent trying to do the same, so as to avoid ringers.
Page 1 of 38 1 234511 ... LastLast