Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 12:08pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    I'd like to see the entire MCMAP curriculum. Anybody know where this is available online?

I really like the MAC curriculum. Maybe the Marine Corps should just adopt MAC. Probably will never happen though. The Marine Corps has a tendency to do things their own way.

Is this what you're asking for?

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/utm/mcmap.htm

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    What's MAC? Never heard of it.
    Modern Army Combatives

Thanks wildwills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 1:41pm

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    You know what would be great? If we had a MAC instructor on the board to ask questions to.......oh wait.

And after dealing with the Marines stationed here I definitely say MAC > MCMAP

Duh! Got it. MAC. :new_tomat Been one of those days.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what would be great? If we had a MAC instructor on the board to ask questions to.......oh wait.

And after dealing with the Marines stationed here I definitely say MAC > MCMAP
    Question for you from someone who did the military thing. My experience with the martial arts in the military could be summed up with one word really...crappling. I am curious as the new combatives program is after my time in the service how it is being taught. How are instructors certified to teach their respective units, how long it takes to be certified to teach it(I'm sure the Army may have a different word then "certified" but I'm sure you know what I mean)? Is it taught with the Army's "Task, Objective..." format that seemed to be mandatory for all classes? Also, do they use soldiers who are experienced martial artists and/or experienced martial artists as advisors/consultants for this program?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT, BJJ, CKD, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first impression after reading the thread title was something that had to do with water wings and a kiddie pool.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Question for you from someone who did the military thing. My experience with the martial arts in the military could be summed up with one word really...crappling. I am curious as the new combatives program is after my time in the service how it is being taught. How are instructors certified to teach their respective units, how long it takes to be certified to teach it(I'm sure the Army may have a different word then "certified" but I'm sure you know what I mean)?
    The MACP is broken down into levels.

Level I is basic BJJ. You learn a series of drills in which you get the basics of grappling. Passing the guard, achieving the mount, escaping the mount, etc. You learn some basic submissions (armbar from the gaurd/mount, Bent armbars (americana and Kimura) and a few chokes). You have my favorite drill, ACHIEVE THE CLINCH, (aka PUNCH DAY) in which the persons giving the class don boxing gloves and it is up to the trainee to achieve the clinch, either front, back or to the side where the puncher can't really hurt them.

Level II is more advanced ground skills. Then you get into JJ self defense techniques like headlock escapes. You also start stand up work with takedowns. You will roll with strikes pancrase style (open hand slaps). You also are taught how to run competitions such as scoring, refing, etc. You roll A LOT. Several days at Benning we rolled for 2~3hrs. We also drilled long times too.

Level III gets in to more advanced skills. This is were MT, boxing, and Kali is introduced. Its a month long class and you have to fight every Friday. Its a graduates set of rules. From moxing, to sanshou, to pancrase, then finally MMA.

Level IV is mostly admin work on how to run a program for an orginization.

Also, do they use soldiers who are experienced martial artists and/or experienced martial artists as advisors/consultants for this program?
    Anyone can go through the course and its policy now that all soldiers should be Level I certified. But they will bring in outside help from time to time and the pple with alot of experience (like moi:glasses2: ) are the ones that tend to head up the training and oversee it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you brought a tear to my eye. I just wished this is what they had when I was in. I do like the idea of of gradually adding levels, i.e. first the ground, then the standup, striking, takedowns, striking with takedowns, full MMA, etc. It's something I've been working on myself. Well, as long as they use experienced personal such as yourself and bring in qualified instruction as well then I'm happy to hear. Glad to hear lots of drilling and sparring too. Learn the technique, drill the technique, apply it in a realistic manner with a resisting opponent. That way, it won't turn into crappling. I know when I was in basic training (Feb. 2000) that was what we were doing.

Speaking of basic, is this required as a part of basic training?

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    T Its a graduates set of rules. From moxing, to sanshou, to pancrase, then finally MMA.
    What's moxing? Just MT + boxing?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Wow, you brought a tear to my eye. I just wished this is what they had when I was in. I do like the idea of of gradually adding levels, i.e. first the ground, then the standup, striking, takedowns, striking with takedowns, full MMA, etc. It's something I've been working on myself. Well, as long as they use experienced personal such as yourself and bring in qualified instruction as well then I'm happy to hear. Glad to hear lots of drilling and sparring too. Learn the technique, drill the technique, apply it in a realistic manner with a resisting opponent. That way, it won't turn into crappling. I know when I was in basic training (Feb. 2000) that was what we were doing.

Speaking of basic, is this required as a part of basic training?
    In 2000 the program was already started but wasn't pushed army wide yet.

In basic soldiers will go over level I material but not the full deal. When the get to AIT/OSUT they will get some more training. Occasionally we will get some sodliers in with soem experience. (at Benning there was a Brazilain Gracie Barra BB going through basic and I just had a Cambo/MMA guy come through here) Here everyone guns for me. All want to be the first on Fort Gordon to tap me. Many try none have succeeded.:icon_blac It gives them motivation to learn and train. Some of the troops will meet off duty to practice as well. Thats a good sign.

What's moxing? Just MT + boxing?
    I meant boxing.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2006 8:41am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp

Thanks wildwills.

No problem RoninPimp. I just wished we had something similar in the USAF.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast