Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 9:10pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by botunga
    Point taken! It is grossly unfair to even the most diluted Kenpo.

I also agree the financial analysis in terms of determining net worth or whatever is a slippery slope to nowhere. We'll refocus on the BB and other claims. If he took any money from anyone based on fraudulent claims, then that's fraud, period. Right?
    I read one of his books many years ago, I would guestimate about a decade ago. It was called "The Secrets of Speed Hitting" or something like that, and it came with a video. The book was huge, it could have been used to bludgeon someone over the head.

Anyway, I read it from front to back looking for something in it about actual speedfighting. There was NOTHING IN IT about speed fighting. What there was were a few hundred pages that were broken down into:

1.) Fights that went badly because someone didn't follow my principles.
    2.) People who once were winning tournaments who now aren't because they don't follow my principles. (Pre-UFC days, this was strict point Krotty tournaments).
    3.) Dubious Legal Advise from Someone Who Probably Shouldn't Be Giving Any. (Largest portion of the book.)
    4.) I can hit really, really fast. (No really).
    5.) You should hit really fast, because you don't need a cannon to kill a sparrow. (I haven't read this book in a decade, and I swear that this pops up more than anything else.)
    6.) The Technique, (consisting of two pages.)
    7.) Let me bash on other styles, (because mine really rawks!)

Like most videos I've seen with dubious claims, everything is featured with first-person names in anecdotal testimony about how they lost a fight in traditional martial arts, but then went on to kick ass with Tourrette. Example:

"Jeff was always getting bullied. So, he decided to take a local karate school and learn martial arts. The day of truth came when Jeff met some bad dudes in a bar and fought them. He did his best kick, but it just bounced off them and they laughed. They beat up Jeff and sodomized him in the parking lot. Jeff came to me looking for help. (Because I am so righteously badass.) I taught him the real principles of fighting. (I'll never explain them because I have no clue what I'm talking about.) He went back to the bar, and started firing off twenty-two hit combinations in under a second. (Swear to God, had my stopwatch handy). They all cried and begged Jeff to sodomize them to stop the beating."
    The video is the same. He makes one demo with a move he called "the meatgrinder" or something to that effect. It was a bunch of slaps and flippy wrist movements where the uke does the cockroach death.

Like most other dubious books and videos I've seen, he spends time ripping on stuff that no serious martial artist would even consider talking about. (The uselessness of the horse stance, the uselessness of the crescent kick.) He cursed constantly and tried very hard to look menacing throughout the presentation. Unfortunately, he couldn't pull it off effectively because he is a fat guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 9:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by botunga
    Point taken! It is grossly unfair to even the most diluted Kenpo.

I also agree the financial analysis in terms of determining net worth or whatever is a slippery slope to nowhere. We'll refocus on the BB and other claims. If he took any money from anyone based on fraudulent claims, then that's fraud, period. Right?
    Yes, I'd also say quit.

The dumbest show on earth proved it in "who wants to marry a milliuonare." Basically, the guys net worth was a million. Debts, bills, etc... proved he wasn't what we percieved as a miilionare.

Honestly, who cares if he tries to inflate his purse. Stick to the BBs especially since this is the site's focus. As you dig, you may come up with more financials and failed businesses. You can just add this to the fire.

The Tiger Klay thread is a hard read but, look at the early posts in August. Many of the BBs turned into lies which, ended up leading to bad finanacial statements and lies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone on here know Jim Mitchell who LaTourrette claims one of his 10th Dans from? Perhaps you could ask Mitchell if he will verify or deny LaTourrette's claim of a 10th from him, preferably in writing. I know Mitchell was one of Ed Parkers top students who, after Parker's death, msyteriously rose to a 10th Dan and had their own system. Still, Mitchell is only claiming one 10th Dan and was far, far ahead of LaTourrette in the Parker system when Parker passed away.

Here's Mitchell's site: http://www.mitchellkenpo.com/ Of course, no mention of LaTourrette in his family tree at all, not only not as a 10th, but not listed as any rank of black belt. I find this very suspicious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2006 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Yes, I'd also say quit.
    The dumbest show on earth proved it in "who wants to marry a milliuonare." Basically, the guys net worth was a million. Debts, bills, etc... proved he wasn't what we percieved as a miilionare.
    I think there are some similarities here, in that both in the show, and with LaTourrette, the purse inflation is being done to lure in the gullible. And in the show, the guy turned out to be a real jerk too.

I find it interesting John LaTourrette is now selling seduction courses.

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 1:13am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That print is so manly and huge I have to step back from my monitor to read it all. What kind of badass can use such large fonts? Surely such a man drinks nothing but gasoline.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 2:18am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest that focusing in on the value of his home or homes is not an effective way of evaluating his networth.

If someone made $1million why would they waste it on a home that was more then they needed?

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 1:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he took any money from anyone based on fraudulent claims, then that's fraud, period. Right?
    Not necessarily. Samuel Browning can provide more information that I can, but criminal fraud is rather specific and usually (almost always) involves theft. In this scenario, he is providing training that people pay for (we assume), so the issue becomes whether or not people paid for the training based on any fraudulent claims.

If someone trained under this guy because of his (potentially) false claims about 19 black belts, it sounds like that would be tough to make a criminal case out of. Civil court plays by a whole other set of rules and I know very little about it.

I would suggest that focusing in on the value of his home or homes is not an effective way of evaluating his networth.
    Absolutely correct. Net worth analysis is very complicated and usually requires access to a lot of information that we simply don't have - primarily hard facts about income, assests, debts, and recurring expenditures. A slight miscalculation can really skew a net worth analysis - and you're talking about something it takes expert testimony to present in court.

I find it interesting John LaTourrette is now selling seduction courses.
    But they're only effective in the way that his martial arts are - you have to do them while the other person is sleeping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    But they're only effective in the way that his martial arts are - you have to do them while the other person is sleeping.
    Too funny and so true!

Seriously though, where does this leave us and where to go from here with this thread?
    Last edited by botunga; 11/04/2006 3:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dr. John M. La Tourrette, Worthless But Ongoing

Dr. John M. La Tourrette has been exposed as a huckster whose martial arts are worthless, but somehow, I think we've reached a bit of an impasse here. If the financials are a dead end, and we know the claims of 10 black belts and four 10th dans are false but we can't prove it, I'm not sure where this goes from here.

Posted On:
    11/04/2006 3:06pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Olay, botunga, I deleted one of your posts and will give you two directives.

1) Do not discuss possible sexual misconduct by John T. unless you have at least a newspaper article to support such a claim. I think you were joking but lets not get derailed.

2) Since the definition of fraud varies slightly from state to state, and criminal to civil. You will now use the term "questionable behavior" instead of fraud. This is for your own legal protection.
Page 11 of 105 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast