Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103 104105 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 4:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't buy any of the mind-control, huna, etc... stuff.

I'll buy the speed-hitting to a degree. I think that by using a set series of pre-planned, flowing strikes, you can increase your speed. But if you spend your time and effort focusing on speed, and don't bother with the remaining aspects that generate power (transitions, hip/shoulder rotation, marriage of gravity, back-up mass, etc...) then you're going to sacrifice a large portion of your power and penetration. And, while doing this series of strikes might work on a stationary target, doing so on a target that's already moving, that's also working his own offensive/defensive plan is a whole different ball of wax. If you want to sell people on this, demonstrate this in a sparring match, or (heaven forfend) an actual streetfight situation.

And I do realize that many of those belts may have been 'honorary'. That's just another term for "didn't study and earn" in my book. You don't list all those 'honorary' belts as part of your overall qualifications, because you're advertising skills that you never developed...and therefore aren't qualified to teach. Listing them may not be illegal, but its certainly unethical...and deliberately misleading. And a large part of the concern I've seen listed here is about those belts. Very little concern has been raised over his ranks under Parker and Tracy. Its the addition of his own 10th dan, as well as a very large number of black belts in all kinds of other systems that no one seems to be able to confirm appears to be the bone of contention.

I won't even touch on the numerous books and materials he's selling that are not MA related.

And I'll also add that while I've never met him in person, I've found that on the forums at least, he's always condescending, and often deliberately coaches his comments in a manner that makes him seem pretentious. He always comments about master keys, about waza's. Why not speak english and answer the freaking questions already?

I really don't have anything against him. I'll never buy his stuff or attend his school, but that's my choice to make. I do think that since there's been such a huge issue raised over his 'credentials', if these accusations were false or even mostly false, he would have taken steps to demonstrate that they're not. He's aware of this thread, and of what's been said about him in all kinds of arena's...why hasn't he 'cleared the air'?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:56pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the facts about contacting John M. LaTourrette on Kenpotalk: One of the moderators of this forum already posted there several months ago, and asked LaTourrette to come here to this forum and respond to the allegations against him. Obviously, John M. LaTourrette has not come here and responded. At this point, even if he did, it would be mostly a case of 'too little, too late'. And, he lies a lot, so who knows when he's lying and when he's not? That is the problem with getting a bad reputation, and being untrustworthy...it follows a person for life. LaTourrette has a very bad reputation, and has been very dishonest in many of his claims, including claims he has made on Kenpotalk. As posted above, the mods on Kenpotalk either support him or don't allow anyone to speak against him, so John M. LaTourrette has been able to act like a big shot on Kenpotalk and get away with it. He knows he would not get away with it here, and that, along with the fact that he would be held accountable, may be why he has not showed up here.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The mods there don't allow anyone to speak out against anyone else. Its not anything specific to him. The idea is that there's enough name-calling/backstabbing that goes on already...they want to maintain that forum as someplace where you can discuss kenpo and the martial arts with everyone else without fearing the attacks that normally seem to result.

How about my second suggestion...contacting senior black belts in the specific arts/styles that he 'holds' belts in and seeing if they can help in proving/disproving his training in those arts? It looks like people have tried contacting the organizations where possible...what about contacting senior individuals instead?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai

How about my second suggestion...contacting senior black belts in the specific arts/styles that he 'holds' belts in and seeing if they can help in proving/disproving his training in those arts? It looks like people have tried contacting the organizations where possible...what about contacting senior individuals instead?
    How about read the thread in its entirety instead of the last few pages. So far everything you have suggested has been tried or shot down by his people.

People have come here who "know" his ranks. They refuse to give information.
    Everything you have suggested has been done. The thread stays up for people to make their own decisions.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about read the thread in its entirety instead of the last few pages. So far everything you have suggested has been tried or shot down by his people.
    I have read this thread in its entirety. And what I saw indicated that people tried to contact organizations or heads of organizations, or you've tried getting in contact with his students. What I was suggesting was that instead contact his PEERS in those other arts besides kenpo and try to get a response from them.

Didn't see any indications that anyone had tried that.

Doesn't make a bit of difference to me what anyone does...was a suggestion since I'd not seen anyone try that angle.

Try reading my advice before you flame me next time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:57pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have read this thread in its entirety. And what I saw indicated that people tried to contact organizations or heads of organizations, or you've tried getting in contact with his students. What I was suggesting was that instead contact his PEERS in those other arts besides kenpo and try to get a response from them.
    Buckaroo, in fact, there were some individuals contacted directly, in addition to the organizations, during the course of this thread. You'll have to go back quite a few posts to find the results, but most did not respond at all. Apparently, John M. LaTourrette has managed to intimidate some by threats of lawsuits, if they come forward with negative information about him. There were no positive comments either. He is a major-league fuckhead, and his condescending attitude that you mention is his main personal attribute. To me, this, along with his hucksterism and dishonesty, are things that I can't stand in anyone, not just LaTourrette. Certainly, I find his posts and self-aggradizing attitude disgusting, and this thread is about him. But to the point of other posters on here, there are plenty of other threads of martial arts phonies.

But what differentiates John M. LaTourrette from the regular pack of scoundrels is his combined use of: a fake Ph.D from an illegal degree mill, a claim of 4 tenth degree black belts and some 19 other black belts, and his claims of Huna and NLP magic mind control bullshit that he uses to lure suckers and part them from their money. I have not seen anyone on Bullshido or other forums that has used that combination of crap all smashed into one ball of horseshit.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 3:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Didn't see any indications that anyone had tried that.

Doesn't make a bit of difference to me what anyone does...was a suggestion since I'd not seen anyone try that angle.

Try reading my advice before you flame me next time.
    Oh so you are one of those people?

Here's a thought. Why not have someone take the list of questions that they'd like answered and create a kenpo-talk account,
    So, by your implication you are also flaming?

You asked the question I provided a response. When people decide not to answer we go through their organizations and schools. If I'm flaming then you are flaming I used phrasing similar to yours.

As botunga stated there is proof in this thread. You didn't read it all.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 3:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you need to check his age. Many of what you would call peers are dead. So, everything would be second and third hand.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 3:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you need to check his age. Many of what you would call peers are dead. So, everything would be second and third hand.
    So all we need to do is to wait a few more years and this will all be a moot point anyway? :D Point taken...given the timeframes, there simply may not be anyone left who knows enough to respond.

When I read the thread, I noted that people had joined kenpo-talk and posted to him, and those posts were subsequently deleted by the moderators. I may have missed that they also attempted to private message him...which I don't imagine a moderator would have deleted immediately.

I wouldn't expect him to respond in anyway to a thread on a public forum...he'd be forced to admit things that clearly he doesn't want to discuss. I suggested the PM route because his ego may have convinced him to respond to a single person in a 'private' arena.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 4:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly.

Moderation sucks in some cases on forums. I'm all for stimulating conversation but, when you can't raise doubt or question it leads to the stigma of Traditional practitioners.