--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin Kung Fu Nam Pai Chuan, Sussex UK

NOTE: I've edited this review in the light of discovering that some NPC practicians have competed in San Shou competition in UK and NZ, and done well.

Disclaimer: I left this school about 8 years ago, after just over a year, and a couple of belts.

Class synopsis:

A large proportion of the class is taken up with warmup, stretching and conditioning.

There is a lot of form work, and you need these to grade. The forms are mostly low stance affairs, with big sweep-like footwork and lunge punches. There are some weapons forms for the higher grades.

Technique work: One-step drills, involving standing armlocks and the like, a few throws.
    Lots of kicks are practiced, this could be the influence from TKD. A lot of kicks are unrealistic, lwith spinning/jumping movements, but fun to practice as a gymnastic activity.

Sparring: Standup only, with chest pads and shin pads. Light to medium contact. No head punches.

Instructor: A guy called Matt Gross. Demonstrates techniques competently, and does, to his credit, spar with the students.

Pros: The higher belts spar hard, and they have apparently done very well in San Shou comps. But this is not a regular thing, as the masters aren't keen on competition.
    Classes are cheap.

Cons: Mostly point-sparring for the lower to med belts, and too much form work in my opinion. Some questionable techniques are taught, but this is normal for a TMA class I guess. Class sizes are high, so personal instruction is minimal.
    Last edited by RunningDog; 11/07/2006 11:42am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is this school again? (It's not listed in the title).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any further critique of the school/style?
    A friend of mine is considering trying this and tbh it doesn't seem to have much going for it from what I've been told.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Where is this school again? (It's not listed in the title).
    University of Sussex

http://www.sussexkungfu.co.uk/

Global site

http://www.nampaichuan.com/

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, close to Nick Brooks' BJJ Academy.

I can't see any ref to Ian Wossname, who is often featured in COMBAT.

Anyway, interesting. Thanks.