• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 12:05am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with some of the guys here. Go to Gleasons or Borodin if you want Kickboxing. Try SamboSteves friend for an MMA/Sambo school. Other then that, maybe the Machado school? Thats all Id look into for now.

Oh and for you idiots thinking 99 a month for 2 classes a week is absurd, go **** yourself and tell us what you think is reasonable outside of bumblefuck nowhere. Its New York, everything is expensive here unless your upstate, which is part of bumblefuck. On Long Island and in NYC 99 for 2 classes a week is pretty good. My BJJ place charged 120 for 2 a week.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 12:08am

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yea, a big thing to remember is not just price and schedule, but the gym itself. Are they flexible? At my BJJ gym, we have some open mat times after class. We can work MMA/BJJ/Judo/Kickboxing, whatever the **** we want. Thats a good thing to consider.

A flexible school thats willing to help with what you need or want is a good thing. If you go to a BJJ school, ask them about MMA. Tell them you want to learn MMA (you said you wanted mixed training) and they just might tell you about a certain nights they do MMA but its not on the schedule. Just a thought.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 12:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SamboSteve, the link for your friends school doesnt work.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 9:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is in the process of changing the name of the club from Remix Fight Sport to Remix Combat sambo, so he may be updating the site. It is working for me:
    http://remixfs.com/

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the Original School iNacho inquired about on this thread (http://nimajkd.com/HOME.html)...

I spoke with David Machin and he says he never gave "Sifu Matt" a 4th Dan Black Belt in TKD. He did acknowledge that he was his student at one time, but never got that far. Machin also said that while the guy was naturally skilled, he is not trustworthy and is a "black eye for the martial arts" with an huge unchecked ego. Lastly, He also questioned his claim about being an instructor under Paul Vunak, though he could not confirm it himself.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with steve, check reilly's school out for a solid MMA program.

i agree with GIJoe about gleason's and borodin's.

i teach kung fu and san shou in williamsburg, but that doesn't seem to be what you want.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 9:54am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    Regarding the Original School iNacho inquired about on this thread (http://nimajkd.com/HOME.html)...

I spoke with David Machin and he says he never gave "Sifu Matt" a 4th Dan Black Belt in TKD. He did acknowledge that he was his student at one time, but never got that far. Machin also said that while the guy was naturally skilled, he is not trustworthy and is a "black eye for the martial arts" with an huge unchecked ego. Lastly, He also questioned his claim about being an instructor under Paul Vunak, though he could not confirm it himself.
    He is actually listed as a Full Instructor and CEI Instructor on Vunak's current website.

http://www.fighting.net/pfs_instructors.php

His name links back to the originally listed website (See Matt Augenstein in the CEI Instructor list), so its defintely the same guy.

Don't know anything about the guy. Just happened to know what Vunak's site was, and remembered it had a list of instructors on it.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have asked around to some other folks I know in Brooklyn and have found out that there is a long laundry list of complaints about this guy. Many people have apparently been burned by him and refuse to work with him. I won't post them in detail since it is second hand news to me (but, some stories are very nasty). However, they basically revolve around his unethical use of contracts, discrediting other instructors who his former students train with after leaving him, and having a very bad temper/behavior towards students that borders on verbal abuse.

Again, I WANT TO STRESS THAT I do not have first hand knowledge of these and have never met the guy myself. They are only hearsay, but I would love to see if we could have any former/current students comment on him in this thread.

Regarding Vunak, he may well have went through the distance learning/seminar certification program. I guess he did if he is listed on Vunak's site.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train there, and I plan on going back (or to remixfs) in Nov. Pricing may be a bit high, but good workout. His contract stuff is very McDojo-like, but I've never heard him curse students or other teachers out. Right now, I'm at Ronin's. Nice, steamy and sweaty.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    iNacho. How is the ground game there? Who teaches the BJJ. He is listed as a Machado affiliate on the Machado site.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast