Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:50pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iNacho
    And thing is, roninathletics and whatnot are in Manhattan, whereas I'm in Brooklyn. I've done research about all this, from BJJ to MuayThai, and most of the academies are in Manhattan. This one seems decent, and it's fairly close to my house.
    If you're close to those folks then check out

http://japan-judo-karate.net/ (One of the most senior Judo practitioners in NY is the head instructor)

or

http://www.brooklynbrazilianjiujitsu.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:25am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't always have to go and find someone who has the flashiest school around to train at .

Check around at local YMCA or YWCA for classes. You can find quality training at a very decent price. Or check around at some churches, there are quite a few that have MA programs going on and they can cost next to nothing.

But be sure to check for instructors qualifications and creditianls(sp) before joining up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 3:55am

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can pretty much agree with the above...because the 'state of the art' was available NOt in commercial schools - but in the Y's - and schules - back in the early 60's.
    Hells bells - my original martial teacher was about 5'10 and 170 lbs. - and routinely sparred with the boxers and wrestlers and the odd walk in wanna be 'killa' - every Saturday night.
    When few knew what 'martial arts' meant - when joo jitsoo - and joo dough - and few knew ka-rotty (filtered through a Brooklyn accent) - all that 'jap crap' stuff as a form of actually fighting.

This is BullShido - and ya gotta be on point and check credentials - and watch the sessions...BEFORE you sign up (for very little money) - BUT - these venues are often taught by someone who is happy to just frickin teach what they have been taught.

And maybe...just maybe - they cash a check once a month - that pays just enough to take out the family to Olive Garden or Fridays or even a local Pizzaria - and leave a decent tip.

To them?
    Thats payment in full.

But individual results vary - check out those that are real dealers and just want to teach.
    THEY often turn out to be - those that have small and hard training classes - and do a session in a public park - away from the restrictions of the legalities the Y or Church or community center or schule must impose.

They often are pretty damn sharp - and will give you far more than your money is worth.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 11:36am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go train Boxing or Judo or BJJ or wrestling, come back here after a year.

I am sure you can find one of those close by.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 11:52am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Boxing in Brooklyn

http://www.gleasonsgym.net/

Like having Mecca in your own back yard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son was there today...at Gleason's Gym.
    He is 18 - and although 'dad' has been in martial arts for over 40 years - if he wants it, he can study there.
    I spent some time at Gleason's - about 14-15 years ago....and consider it one of the best places to learn boxing, commitment and personal discipline in all of NYC.

One of my old Corrections officer buddies is a trainer there. Might be a good thing to contact Legere and enrust him with training my son.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 2:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RobG you have it spot on my friend.
    Some clubs have been in the community a good few years. There has to be some credibility to that. Find the teacher thats in it for the love of it (not the Take your Do) kind.
    reputations spread. bad ones faster than good ones, so ask around the neighbourhoods.
    I run a school in England. have done for 30 years. I NEVER advertise. People come in off the street, usually recommended by a friend of their's.
    Charges ( i guess depend on outlay. rent, rates, electric etc)
    I have travelled to U.S at my own expense (keeps seminar fees down for the students) and taught to date in PA. and FL.
    I have a friend who runs a TKD dojo in N.J Tom Hudako He's a genuine guy who travelled to white Haven P.A to train on a International seminar. Brad Hilderbrant (Koe Kan ) was there and master Neneow (Strasburg.PA)
    we checked out karate, karate jitsu, jujitsu, Tai chi, ground fighting, tkd and many more that week end ( I was knackered at the end of it) Hard, hard training...
    sorry I digress.
    Costs relate to premises. but it should be reasonable I guess. All fees from my dojo go back into the dojo. I take no income from M/arts when you rely on grading fees, (maybe you have them more often, or not fail people if they aint good enough) NOT a path I want to go down. Kids pay 3.00 hr guess thats about $4.75-$5.00hr
    If they join monthly (guarantees the rent gets paid) I give a discount 20.00, that about $35.00. thats covering 3 lessons a week, so about 12 lessons for $35. Is that good, I dont know if thats a good price in thew States sorry. But its an Idea, although your in a city and costs will be through the roof I guess (like London)
    Soooo look for these things.
    Boxing IS a good start. stamina, running, skipping, bag work and foot work, ducking and weaving.
    Good luck anyway
    Last edited by bigstatue; 7/30/2007 2:29am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 5:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks.

My son will learn as he feels fit...and Gleason's is a boxing fine point.

If you ever come to NYC and want some advice about the martial scene here?
    PM me.

Lets have a damn good time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 8:59pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click on the little dojo deely near my style. Go visit my gym.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:44pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding "Sifu Matt" from the website, his bio states:

He has also attained the rank of fourth-degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do Karate under Master David R. Machin
    I am good friends with David Machin. He has a longhistory in TKD and Goju. He also studied under my sambo Coach Alex Barakov for almost as long as I did. I will ask Machin about his 4th degree rank.

His rank under Paul Vunak should be easy to research by contacting Mr Vunak.

His website is pretty bad.

Regarding training in Brooklyn, my Asst Coach Reilly Bodycomb (also on my fight team) runs a small, low key club in Brooklyn (www.remixfs.com). It is not a huge place...in fact it is real small, but they are a good crew there. If you are new to martial arts or want a good open place to train, it is a great option. Reilly is a good teacher (He teaches for me when I can't) and active competitor with success in sambo and MMA. In fact, he just came back with a Gold from the Canadian Freestyle Sambo Open this past weekend. Our clubs often cross trains together.

If you contact him, tell him Steve sent you his way.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast