Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 5:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm...so what WOULD be a good dojo? I can't possibly find one if I don't know how a good one looks like.

I like a mix of it, since I don't have the time or money to cross train at two (or more) different dojos.

And thing is, roninathletics and whatnot are in Manhattan, whereas I'm in Brooklyn. I've done research about all this, from BJJ to MuayThai, and most of the academies are in Manhattan. This one seems decent, and it's fairly close to my house.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 6:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, I just wanted to know if training would be good. At the moment, I dont care about price.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 6:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) You have been asked twice to tell us what you want in a Martial Art. Answer the question.

A mix isn't an answer, Punching, kicking, grappling, forms, acrobatics, philosophy what do you want?

2) In his sarcastic way BM(hahaha) is right. Black Belt Clubs are a major sign of a MCDojo. Along with his explanation of tiered pricing, He answered your question.

3) Go to newbietown, post an introduction thread, and ask these questions. It shouldn't be in MABS unless you already have proof or are looking to investigate the instructor.

4) Yes, pricing is different all over the country but, training days are universal. Schools offer from 2-3 days all the way up to 6-7 days a week. So, we are balking at 2 days for $99 a month.

5) Go check the school out we can only comment on what we read which, looks bad. Training may be great but 2 days a week with 5 days to forget is a waste of money.

Basically, you have your mind made up. Don't come here asking dumb questions if you don't want real answers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 6:55pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iNacho
    What's tiered pricing? And by the way, how much SHOULD it cost? Right now, they have it as 99 dollars a month, two classes a week. And also, I live in NYC...so prices may be higher.
    Tiered pricing... I don't know if that's the official term around here or not, but it fits. That's where you'll have something like two classes a week for $90 a month, or the special "black belt club" for like $150 a month for three classes a week.

What these places usually don't tell you is that if you want the ability to achieve higher rankings and learn advanced techniques... you HAVE to join up at the higher pay level. THAT is pure McDojo.

You'll care about the cost whenever the guy starts to whip out the belt test fees and the grading fees and the cost of new gis and whatever other fees he can tack onto your wallet.

For the record, there are a lot of places that are set up where you can train in one style for X dollars, or two arts for X, or unlimited arts for X. This is quite different and entirely acceptable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 6:56pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    1) You have been asked twice to tell us what you want in a Martial Art. Answer the question.

A mix isn't an answer, Punching, kicking, grappling, forms, acrobatics, philosophy what do you want?

2) In his sarcastic way BM(hahaha) is right. Black Belt Clubs are a major sign of a MCDojo. Along with his explanation of tiered pricing, He answered your question.
    1) Actually, if he wants a mix the best thing would be for him to find a good MMA gym.

2) Trust me, you're not the first to notice that. I've been using this name online for about eight years now and I hear it everywhere I go. You're not special.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 7:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    1) Actually, if he wants a mix the best thing would be for him to find a good MMA gym.
    Not if he doean't know what the **** he wants, it isn't.

If he is a larper he will hate MMA. It will be missing the key components to make it the deadly.

You know Death Points, Crappling, Anti-Grappling, tippy-tap sparring, pretty uniforms, outdated weapons, Chinese by way of America philosophy.:cussing:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 9:59pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he wants a mix he can buy a milkshake at sonics. If he is really interested in real MA then he will make his own decision.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone remember NIMAJKD?

I posted this place a long time ago, and it was immediately registered as a McDojo. McDojo or not, it's not bullshido. It's the Brooklyn rep for Machado Jiu Jutsu.

http://www.carlosmachado.net/

Click on associations, and its under New York. Shockin, aint it?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:06pm

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Brooklyn?
    BIG area.
    Address?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh...If you go to the machado site, it has it. But the site is uh, www.nimajkd.com

Why?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast