Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Salutations from San Diego

Hello~

I'm a student @ UCSD recently re-immersed in martial arts. I'm also a scrawny mofo at 5'11 & 125 lb. I like to watch boxing matches and MMA fights, but I practice martial arts for general health & self defense. I love submission grappling and nerd out over how to force submission with minimal striking. I've never competed in sports fighting, but I'm not adverse to it (I'd love to try Tomiki aikido). I'm currently practicing my Yang form for competition.

A History of Violence
    ---
    My first exposure to martial arts was wrestling. For a couple of years in elementary school only. At about that time my long years of public school bullying began. My boxing instruction was informal and unforgiving.

By my preteen years, I'd been marked by school officials as having 'anger issues' (the issue being that most of my classmates took their anger out on me). At this point, I was begging my parents to enroll me in a martial art. They signed me up at an Iwama style Aikido dojo.

Another two years of training and I called it quits with the whole 'aiki' thing. Not-striking was lame and my 12 year old brain could not process the sheer righteousness of jujitsu for my scraggly, twig body. When my public school hazing peaked in junior high, to my surprise I found Aikido to be the most goddamn useful thing I ever learned on a mat. I also ended fights without bloodying my hands. Everyone wins!

I'm proud to say that by high school my history of violence was mostly behind me. I went nearly four years without a scrap.

Now I'm in college, surrounded by like-minded freaks and geeks. I joined the aikido club on campus, started doing taiji, working out with the wushu club. I took an intro lesson with the BJJ club this quarter. Loved it. Think I'll enroll next year.

tldr;
    4~ years aikido
    8~ years punching children
    1 year taiji/wushu
    Budding interest in BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to the site.

there is a group of San Diegans whom are continuing Bully Codos/Permalost's and Chickenbeakfist's tradition of getting together at Balboa Park:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=105595&page=1

I tried to go one year but the missus wouldn't let me, another year I didn't get to the park until after 1PM...but it always sounded like they had fun.

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the notice. The reason BJJ caught my interest was the rolling portion of class. Every quarter the aikido club reboots with a couple of fresh members and we take it all back to square one. We get to practice resistance in motion only occasionally.

Because I practice two martial arts with ki/chi in the name I feel as though I owe the boards an explanation. I don't believe in an intangible universal force manipulable only by mystical men in pajamas, but I do believe in:
    a) breath control (& the abdominal breath)
    b) well-coordinated hip flexors

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumPIrate View Post
    Hello~

I'm a student @ UCSD recently re-immersed in martial arts. I'm also a scrawny mofo at 5'11 & 125 lb. I like to watch boxing matches and MMA fights, but I practice martial arts for general health & self defense. I love submission grappling and nerd out over how to force submission with minimal striking. I've never competed in sports fighting, but I'm not adverse to it (I'd love to try Tomiki aikido). I'm currently practicing my Yang form for competition.

A History of Violence
    ---
    My first exposure to martial arts was wrestling. For a couple of years in elementary school only. At about that time my long years of public school bullying began. My boxing instruction was informal and unforgiving.

By my preteen years, I'd been marked by school officials as having 'anger issues' (the issue being that most of my classmates took their anger out on me). At this point, I was begging my parents to enroll me in a martial art. They signed me up at an Iwama style Aikido dojo.

Another two years of training and I called it quits with the whole 'aiki' thing. Not-striking was lame and my 12 year old brain could not process the sheer righteousness of jujitsu for my scraggly, twig body. When my public school hazing peaked in junior high, to my surprise I found Aikido to be the most goddamn useful thing I ever learned on a mat. I also ended fights without bloodying my hands. Everyone wins!

I'm proud to say that by high school my history of violence was mostly behind me. I went nearly four years without a scrap.

Now I'm in college, surrounded by like-minded freaks and geeks. I joined the aikido club on campus, started doing taiji, working out with the wushu club. I took an intro lesson with the BJJ club this quarter. Loved it. Think I'll enroll next year.

tldr;
    4~ years aikido
    8~ years punching children
    1 year taiji/wushu
    Budding interest in BJJ
    I heard the BJJ instructor was a douchebag.

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's two of 'em. Instructors, that is. Not [necessarily] douchebags (Don't know either of them too well).

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy who was supposedly a Brown belt from Gracie Barra.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the UCSD aikido group the one with the short-haired white guy with light hair, like maybe late 20s, and usually has an Asian (Japanese?) woman helping (brown belt?). Over in the grass next to that big open courtyard? I've stopped to watch them a few times when I'm out skateboarding, and the stuff I've seen looks a lot like aikido and they've got white gis, but it might be some soft karate or something.

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The brown belt instructor is the one I took the intro course from. He's an alright guy. Very informal teaching style and on the first day he was really strict about the rules on rolling (no neck cranks, zero tolerance for illegal moves, rollers have to be on one knee before clinching, etc). I figured since it was the first class it was all tough love.

Maybe you're seeing the Hapkido club. I've seen some dogis out on the Revelle lawn, but the aikido group studies in the main gym.

The aikido instructor is a guy in his 40s, short dark hair, Director of public transportation & various IT stuff on campus, and a yudansha of 20+ years. His first school was the Yoshinkan, but he's cross trained in & out of aikido. He teaches the empty-handed class. The weapons instructor is an Asian lady teaching the Iwama weapons system. She's trained with Saito for a number of years that escapes me right now.

My complaints about the aikido club:
    - Not enough members (four regulars, plus fresh meat every quarter)
    - Quarterly reboot
    - Weapon drills only a half-hour per week
    - Kata driven
    - The two students more senior than myself will be graduating this year
    Commendations:
    - Empty-handed instructor emphasizes ukemi, includes atemi
    - Weapons class is experienced; jumped right into kumitachi this quarter
    - Tue/Thu class fits my schedule well
    - Student price is about $30 bucks/month
    - The two students more senior than myself will be graduating this year (placing me next in line to uke for the instructor)

The club on campus is sponsored by a parent dojo. I considered enrolling for a time, until I read up on the sensei's blog.
    http://www.goldbergsensei.com/post/1...ning-in-aikido

I couldn't disagree more ("In what ways is [cross training] really helping you?" striking, the clinch, resistance & live training). It was never about measuring aikido against other martial arts, it's about supplementing my aikido with coherent, related skills. BJJ appealed to me exactly because it eschewed striking for a relatively peaceful means of conflict resolution. And don't try telling me that's not in the spirit of aikido. The blog propelled me to search for aikidoka encouraging cross-training and in the course of my research, I found that my obsession with martial efficacy was shared by Shoji Nishio & Stanley Pranin.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=599

I'm rather grateful to be practicing on campus. The breadth & availability of cross training, multiple classes and flexible schedules. Why give that up for a dojo?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that class open to non-students? I'd pay $30 a month to do some aikido, at least for a while. That Goldberg sensei article is kind of alarming though. Someone gave me a copy of the Nishio aikido DVDs and they were pretty interesting.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey welcome im new too.. from cali as well

Page 1 of 2 12 Last