Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wah Lum Tam Tui

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it's not an inside crescent kick... it's a flying front snap/slap kick I guess.

Posted On:
    5/19/2009 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wah Lum Kung Fu / MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A few points

While I am no longer an active student at the WahLumTemple, this is only because there are no Wah Lum schools in Arizona. I still claim Wah Lum as my style because I am still loyal to the temple. As such I have a few points to make.

1) Much like Mantis_Fist I had a similar incident when I first joined. I was a minor at the time and my mother had to go to work before anyone could come to the front and help us. When I asked to train no one would let me until Simu Suzy Chan gave them permission to. The reason for this however is that the Chan family is dedicated to preserving the traditions upon which the WahLumTemple is based upon. There is a curriculum of history, genealogy, terminology and philosophy that is taught in addition to the physical kung fu.

2) I found it odd there was no weapon rating. While I admit it has been a few years, the thing most vivid about the temple was the many weapons in which one was able to be instructed in.

3) While there is no full contact team, the outward pointing feathers means we accept challenges. I have always taken this to extend to challenges for full contact sparring.

4) The reason it is called a "temple" has nothing to do with Buddhism. (This said we do honor the teachers who came before us before and after each training session.) While there is a Buddhist temple in Orlando, the WahLumTemple is able to be called a temple because is build in a traditional style and had living facilities for full-time students. The Wah Lum Temple's website explains is thus:
    He (Si Gung Pui Chan) allows instructors from all over the country to live there and undertake intensive training in an atmosphere free of distractions. Chan has done this in order to preserve the traditional ways of Kung Fu training, and to provide serenity and sincerity in the modern world.
    http://www.wahlum.com/visit_temple.htm

This is because, when I was a student there, the Temple had a deal with an apartment complex across the street to provide living quarters for professional students of Wah Lum.

I am glad to hear Sifu Mimi is continuing the Wah Lum tradition. One day I intend to return and complete my training.

Also, I would like to mention Sifu Tom Hasse, who is probably the reason I joined the Marines. From day one he put me through the paces (when he was a Si Hing) and now I found out he has a school in Tampa. If any one in the Central Florida area is looking for a school I always recommend the WahLumTemple.
    Last edited by RountreeUSMC; 5/19/2009 9:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2010 2:35pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh. crap. I had written a new review a long time ago, but I guess all that saved was edited for content, never came back to the thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 11:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MANTIS KUNG FU, JUI JITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "crane kick" you are describing sounds like a jump toe kick. I studied for about 9 years under Sifu Kee in Orlando. I do not understand why some on this site say they are secretive. Of course you have to sign a waiver, people are sue crazy in the US. Everyone wears the same uniform, you can observe a class, but to participate you wear the uniform that everyone else wears. They have a very family oriented atmosphere and the people that go there are awesome. The instruction is top notch both for adults and kids. The schools are regulated to insure the continuity and preservation of the system. If you are looking to learn a traditional style with lots of weapons the school is for you. There is also a full contact group that meets periodically.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 11:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great school with a great atmosphere.
    Last edited by REGGIEPCB; 1/07/2011 10:18pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 11:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by REGGIEPCB View Post
    This is a great school with a great atmosphere. If you are looking for traditional school with great values and world class instruction this is it. My family attended for about 9 years until we had to move. The school is the thing we miss most about Orlando.

The fact you said the Full Contact Group only meets periodically drops the school down in aliveness. If the striking category doesn't even get a rating it means that aliveness can't be a ten.

Instead of being angry read the rules about the rating system. Ratings and You - Read This Before Posting Your Review - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's angry?, You? I just disagree with some of the reviews from some of the members who have not even taken a class. Thats like reviewing movies you have never seen. I did not rate striking or grappling as I did only participated in their full contact class a few times. I did not read the "Aliveness" but went with the assumption that it meant the spirit of the school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 11:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by REGGIEPCB View Post
    Who's angry?, You?
    No. See how easy that was?

I just disagree with some of the reviews from some of the members who have not even taken a class. Thats like reviewing movies you have never seen.
    That's fine, it still give you no excuse for not following the rules of the website.

I did not rate striking or grappling as I did only participated in their full contact class a few times.
    9 years and you can't grade their striking or grappling? You should be participating in Sparring and some type of non-compliant drills every class IMO. So, it still shouldn't be a ten.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 12:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have reviewed the ratings section for reviews and am editing the rating. My assumption was that striking and grappling related to an MMA type class. After reading the criteria, I am fully capable of grading their striking and grappling The criteria for giving a 10 is based of of monthly or more application according to what I read. Their full contact class was usually once a week, however I will adjust it based on how it is scored. IMO it would depend on what the goal of studying martial arts is as to whether or not to spar every class. Their focus is not on sparring and participation in full contact classes were optional. Depending on skill level the full contact went hard with some protective equipment. I adjusted the weapons rating based on the criteria because there was no sparing just two man forms. There is however, a broad range of weapons that the train with. If you are looking for a traditional school to learn martial arts in a family atmosphere their is no better place
    Last edited by REGGIEPCB; 1/07/2011 12:45pm at . Reason: changing ratings

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 1:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, we have a criteria in place for a reason. The reason you train is personal to you as an individual. You may train for the often misinterpreted word tradition the other person may be there for self defense. The guy next to him may be their for both and another may be their for Health. Then there is a person that wants all three areas.

On this website practicality is a huge bias. So, most people here want arts that still train "alive." Something traditionalists pretend never existed in many so called traditional Martial Arts.

The ratings are based on that criteria. A 1 means you don't spar. If that is what you are looking for, then you know their is little to no contact in that school. A 10 means their is a full contact fighting team that spars and competes in top tier competitions.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast