Last edited by isol8d; 7/13/2007 2:45pm at . Reason: not worth it

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 9:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ummmmm....Helooooooooo? Is there anyone in there?

Come on isol8d.....Put a little more into this please.

"Edited for Content"? There is no content, WTF!?!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 9:51am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Wah Lum has multiple schools but I thought they also had a full contact program?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Northern Praying Mantis forum @ Kung Fu Magazine:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...isplay.php?f=7

Do a search for Wah Lum, and you will find loads. Here is the low down:

1 - The Orlando school, the one that looks like a temple, is the main one. All other Wah Lum is strictly regulated (some say in an obsessive way) so much so that if you get to see their kung fu in one school, it should be the same across the board.

2 - Wah Lum is not your typical mantis. They do mainly TMA, but most northern mantis styles, while different from school to school, lump themselves together on one side of the fence, with Wah Lum on the other.

3 - They do add some wushu in there for effect and demonstration. Wushu is acrobatics and gymnastics, not kung fu.

4 - These guys do train very seriously, though I have never touched hands with them. I have both a respect and an odd distrust for the secrecy. While on leave from the military, for example, I could not train at their school for one week without going through a whole process to include signing waivers, joining the class, buying the uniform, etc. Most of the times when I have been on leave, I could pick up a week of training anyplace I went. Walk in, show respect, and train for a few days, no harm done. This includes karate and tae kwon do schools as well. But with a Wah Lum school, it was all distrust. I wasn't about to sign up for a month of classes just to work out twice.

5 - The Orlando school is supposed to be a functioning temple as well. I visited once, never attended, heck I'm not a Buddhist.

I know it's not much, but better than the non-existing review above. Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 11:09am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wah Lum is a good school but they don't have a full contact team. We compete against them in Baltimore every summer and in the forms division they're always first, or second. Mimi Chan has taken over from her father GM Pui Chan and has kept the quality high.

Very athletic but they have added modern wushu to traditional forms. They're the only school I know that's put butterfly kicks into mantis forms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 11:18am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For better Wah Lum, check out Raymond Fogg in Dallas, Texas. I have never trained with him, but he is my teacher's teacher (Sigung) and the quality of the students he has produced is very high.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    For better Wah Lum, check out Raymond Fogg in Dallas, Texas. I have never trained with him, but he is my teacher's teacher (Sigung) and the quality of the students he has produced is very high.
    Tell me...how the hell does this help some one looking for Wah Lum in Florida...never mind, don't post...ever.

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern mantis Kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    check the central texas Kung fu exchange.(Kfedallas.com) there is a kung fu exchange school in south florida, while talking smack here is fun, remember to be respectfull when you go there. I had 2 nhb fights under my belt the first time I walked in to a kung fu exchange school (boy I'm glad I was not cocky with the instructor), the ground work taught by my late sifu was concise and efficient and after earning my blackbelt I succesfully used the techniques as a bouncer in killeen tx. wah lum mantis is a good base art, the principles (key words) of mantis kung fu apply between each step of the forms, so in a form a follows b follows c, while in a fight a single step from the middle of the form might make an oppening for a single leg take down, or a shove down conviniently placed stairs. hope this helps.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2009 7:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wah Lum Tam Tui

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhhh, I love my school. I've never heard it was a functioning buddhist temple... Where'd you get that? I haven't heard a word about that since I've been going there.
    An example of our workings:
    Today, we had line drills. Basics first of course. The normal. Then, we kicked it up on the more advanced side. This was a progression drill (add a move each time we go back and forth). Toe Kick, Heel Kick, Roundhouse Kick, Spinning Side Kick, Whirlwind Kick, Backward Sweep, Crane Kick*, Cut Eyebrow Kick. In average martial art terms... Front Snap Kick, Stomp Kick, Roundhouse Kick, Spinning Side Kick, Flying Inside Crescent Kick, Back Sweep, Crane Kick*, Outside Crescent Kick.

*Crane Kick- The kick from The Karate Kid where you raise one leg and jump but kick with the other. I don't know it's name.

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 6:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern mantis Kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    crane kick: from crane stance do a jumping inside crescent kick some people call it a jumping inside crescent kick :D
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast