Sponsored Links Spacer Image

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Correlation between hits in the head and religion?

Greetings to all,
    now I follow my si-fu's advice to never underestimate a good boxer. I respect good boxers. Sometimes I even enjoy watching them beat each other up (actually anytime I get the chance to see two guys beating each other up instead of me I get this funny but nice feeling of being able to just watch...).
    But...
    With all respect to boxing I was just wondering, how come so many professional boxers turned to organized religion after a certain time in the ring, accepting Islam, changing their names to serve the Prophet, quite a few even becoming pastors...
    Are there any statistics available about the amount of full-power punches shaking the skull (and the brain within it) needed to achieve that kind of a spiritual enlightened state of mind?
    Or is this the true tao of how THE REALLY WORKING MA's in the end really bring us all together in one happy peace and g-d loving community of Alzheimer patients?

Tonuzaba

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correlation isn't causation.

Most boxers also come from poor immigrant (or displaced, in the case of most african american) communities, where religion tends to be stronger.

Edit: I'd also like to know where you got your statistics, a few prominent boxers isn't most boxers. Prominent figures will always be noticed more, so maybe they think their fame can be used for some good, or maybe they're targeted for recruitment into religious groups (says the cynic in me) because of the influence they can have.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 10/26/2006 12:36pm at .

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 12:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Greetings to all,
    now I follow my si-fu's advice to never underestimate a good boxer. I respect good boxers. Sometimes I even enjoy watching them beat each other up (actually anytime I get the chance to see two guys beating each other up instead of me I get this funny but nice feeling of being able to just watch...).
    But...
    With all respect to boxing I was just wondering, how come so many professional boxers turned to organized religion after a certain time in the ring, accepting Islam, changing their names to serve the Prophet, quite a few even becoming pastors...
    Are there any statistics available about the amount of full-power punches shaking the skull (and the brain within it) needed to achieve that kind of a spiritual enlightened state of mind?
    Or is this the true tao of how THE REALLY WORKING MA's in the end really bring us all together in one happy peace and g-d loving community of Alzheimer patients?

Tonuzaba

lol.....chunner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 2:51pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    (actually anytime I get the chance to see two guys beating each other up instead of me I get this funny but nice feeling of being able to just watch...).

If I were you I'd be glad when I didn't get to fight too:eatbabies

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it. First kickboxing and submission grappling makes you join gangs. Now professional boxing makes you into a born-again. Are you real? Can I keep you? (joke stolen blatantly from Plazma)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 4:44pm

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm; a sweedish woman that started a charismatic christian sect based on her visions probably suffered from epilepsy, and I've seen a program on TV, where they see that it's a pattern between their religious belief and activity in a certain part of their brain. Messing with the brain can do weird things to people :zicon_ram

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 5:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Professional boxing does not exactly draw its numbers from the "best and brightest."

Those who do not learn critical thinking tend to fall for all sorts of flim flam.

--J.D.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 5:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Those who do not learn critical thinking tend to fall for all sorts of flim flam.
    Wait, you're suggesting religion is flim flam?
    Can you please tell this to various fundamentalists who are doing things like blowing **** up or making folk drink grape flavor-ade?
    Phew... glad that's all sorted...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 6:55pm

Style: Judo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prominent members of anything also are exposed to fame, which often times leads to the understanding that such things are fleeting and highly unsatisfying in the long run. I would suggest that this correlation stems from dissastifaction with their life, thus looking towards higher truths for meaning.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 7:10pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really oversimplify things Tonu. Correlation is fairly meaningless. Causation is what you are looking for and is what you don't have. There are external factors that apply to both this and the kickboxing/mafia dilemma.

May I ask how old you are?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast