10/26/2006 7:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: submission-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Coming to Calgary.

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself, and give you a little history aswell;-

My name's Kevin Davey, I presently live in the UK, but will be emigrating to Calgary, Alberta, sometime this November - YIPEE!
    Anyway, I'm (an EXTREMEMLY young) 45-years old, I've been training for about 33-years, and have been teaching for nearly 18. Although I've trained in many many disciplines over the years, my main arts have been Karate/Kickboxing & Ju-jistu/Submission Fighting, and I've attained the rank of 4th-Dan Black-belt - in fact, I even represented the Wales, Great Britian team back in '94, when we travelled to the US to fight their boys.
    I gave up competition-Karate back in '99, and found that once I'd left the tournament circuit, I kinda lost the passion for the stand-up side of combat. I therefore passed my Karate/Kickboxing classes onto one of my 2nd-Dan students (who's now a 3rd-Dan), and I just continued to teach the 'Jitsu & groundfighting.
    Essentially, this is what I now concentrate on solely - the Submission Fighting (which, to be honest, is literally BJJ but without the Gi), and I also teach Goshin Ju-Jitsu for the self-defense side of the art.

Anyway, the reason for this posting is as follows;-
    We're aiming to settle in the South of the city, and I was wondering if any of you can tell me how widespread the grappling-arts are in Calgary? Also, is it mostly gi-based? (I kinda hope it is, because if I can start a non-gi submission-fighting class over there, people may see it as another avenue to train and evolve in.)
    Well, I look forward to your views and comments, and of course, any info will be greatfully received.

Kev.

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 8:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 8:00pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ:

http://graciebarracalgary.com/

There's high quality Muay Thai in Calgary as well:

http://www.mikemiles.com/

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Canuckles is the school I trained at (and will be again). It's an MMA school, so they teach no-gi grappling. Also, if you're heading here, we should train sometime! However I won't be able to do so for about 3 months (recovering from a fractured fibula).
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 7:25pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Chaos if you wanna head out my way again we could train when you heal up too. We have weight machines and such in our little "dojo" now too!