Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. He's a child. Stomping him is pretty meaningless. Honestly, he's probably a sock puppet for some longtime member anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 12:00pm

Style: nothing right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    wow taichi can't train sparring? guess these guys are doing the fake **** then
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLBusl2BRA

Almost everything can be trained alive, its just the people are unwilling to get hurt/get over their ego
    There is a tendency to train pushing hand without learning any Taichi forms.

I spoke to an instructor here in Taiwan who trains some kids at a middleschool in pushing hands. He does not belief that learning the old forms has any value for combat, so they don't train them and concentrate on pushing hands.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Mimes can be nasty.

They bite.

--J.D.
    This is true....but only the mimes with T3h D34dly.

Or Magic Pants.

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua
    I spoke to an instructor here in Taiwan who trains some kids at a middleschool in pushing hands. He does not belief that learning the old forms has any value for combat, so they don't train them and concentrate on pushing hands.
    For the end goal of what? When do the kids move past push hands?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 3:40pm

Style: taichi shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo!
    I'm happy to hear I'm welcome to some virtual ass kicking. Just wanted to point out that WOP is no verb.
    Now, before getting into tai chi AND shotokan (so that none of you gets confused....) I've been into MMI and Muay Tay for three years and had the time of my life.
    Don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to the combat form or art, what really bugs me is the close minded attitude I see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai chi gets to be useful for stress release and postural correction too, but that's a side effect. Martial artists often confuse the method of training with the art form itself. Tai chi is learnt slowly for the sole purpose of training the body to move in a certain way which would be way more difficult to do in a fast pace. Now, I do give you that the landscape is filled with frauds and instructors that keep calling this "martial art" when they miss to study, before teaching, the actual combat side of it focusing only on the postural aspects (in the best case) or that promise magic fighting skills by concentrating balls of energy in the palm of your hands that you can then throw at an opponent 62 miles away

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given what I was saying, let me also give to you that in most tai chi schools (or research studios, as I'd prefer to call any training place) they do lack big time the ability and will to sparr. Why do you think that is? I think it is because of the huge amount of sifu wanna be's we encounter......just as we do in MMI, where you do find a lot of jerks that, on the opposite side, brutalize their students letting them get short/long term damages to their bodies when it is absolutely not necessary. And this not to mention the ridiculous lack of technical preparation and their total ignorance in body training matters. Does that make MMI an art for suicidal masochists?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 4:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, let's not behave like the very people we criticize, those who talk as they had the ultimate truth!!!!!! Especially people like you guys and I, who have been fighting full contact in the ring and on the streets against any kind of opponent, should not be so damn fool to still believe there is such a thing as an ultimately effective martial art!!!!!!!!!!
    It is all about choosing a given strategy on the basis of our own natural way of learning and fighting and adapting it to ourselves and to the stimuli we get from potential opponents. So there is virtually no perfect fighting system as there is no bs system as we like to think every time we fool ourselves in thinking we have the ultimate fighting skill. It's all about how you use what you've got. Baba the jailbird won't fear any martial nerd, whether he comes from a dojo, dojang, ring or wherever

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 4:05pm

Style: iaido,aikido,taiji,karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    Even if you did spar, you sure didn't make it clear.
    You toke that quote from when I was talking about aikido not tai chi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 4:07pm

Style: iaido,aikido,taiji,karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Oh, and we don't practice everything in slow motion. That would be ridiculous.
    Hence you are pretty much a structureless fool who punches and kicks go do kickboxing you'll get more out of it.
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast