Posted On:
    10/26/2006 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu
    Pre or post workout?
    I try never to miss it post workout. I don't worry too much about pre workout. I do however take glutamine twice a day, first just after my morning jogging, and then after rolling (my post-workout). For post-workout, I also make sure I'm taking the aminoacids at the same time. For that, I make my own concotion : orange juice + glutamine powder (Betancourt Glutamine High-C) + 2-3 tbsps of Twinlab Amino Fuel (and sometimes a small piece of banana, a few tbsps of oatmeal and a packet of isopure whey protein if I know I'll be starving after a heavy workout.) Plus I pop a few aminoacid pills throught the day in between meals.

The only thing I keep certain is to take these supplements post-workout and glutamine in the morning. In between that, I just wing it, depending on how I'm feeling. People with larger frames may need to take larger dosages, or with greater frequency IMO.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 9:51am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to put in as a note:

Even 100% lean beef is still only ~25-35% protein by volume. With no fat or carbs, 65-75% of that meat is water. 100g of beef (about 3.5oz, just under a quarter-pound) will have about 25-35g of protein. Even with pharmaceutical-grade whey protein isolate (powder), that is about 20% moisture content. We're also assuming that the protein powder has few, if any carbs in it, meaning it uses non-caloric sweeteners like Splenda or Acesulfame K (potassium). Since 100g is about 7 tablespoons of protein powder, we can reduce it down to a more manageable/digestable 3.5 tablespoons (50g/1.75 ounces) of protein powder, which will provide 40g of protein with the above calculations.

If you got your protein solely from one source for your daily 250g (1000cal), here's how it might break down (using http://www.nutritiondata.com/):

Protein powder (mixed in water): 312.5g, or 11 oz of protein powder, assuming 80g per 100g serving.

Beef - assuming top round beef with 0" or 1/4" fat (London Broil), 36g of protein per 100g serving equals about 700g of meat, or 24.5 oz, or about a pound and a half of beef.

Chicken - roasted breast meat, no skin, 31g per 100g serving equals about 800g of chicken, or 28 oz, or a pound and 3/4ths of chicken.

Fish - Canned light tuna, salmon, tilapia, perch, and such all have protein content in the mid-upper 20's, so we'll say 25g per 100g serving. That comes out to 1000g (or 1 kg) of fish, which is 35oz, or close to two lbs of fish. On a more casual note, those "fish in a bag" things of tuna or salmon have 7oz of fish in them, so you'd have to eat 5 of those as a layman's guide.

Again, use http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html for help. You can search for foods HIGH in protein and select a menu from that. Obviously, you're not going to get protein from just one source. The thought of trying to eat two lbs of fish is making my skin sweat methylmercury and oil just thinking about it.

Also keep in mind that these are based on protein values in isolation of other variables, such as fat content, flavor, etc. You're likely going to be mixing tuna with mayonnaise, which will up the fat content. For meat, you can probably get away with only using spices, which have neglible calorie content, but if you use too much salty stuff, then you get other health problems, etc.

Good luck.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, that's a lot of protein. i weigh 150 and wish i weighed 140. i try to take in 70-80g of protein per day and i have a hard time getting it all - partially cause i don't eat meat, only fish.

i drink 2 protein shakes a day - 1 made from bananna OJ and whey powder, and then a myoplex or muscle milk at night.

i don't eat anything but green veggies and protein after 7pm, if i do i seem to gain weight around the old gut area. sort of sucks cause i really like pasta, noodle and rice dishes for dinner, i just have to get used to eating that at lunch.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome advice guys. Thanks.

El Macho - Not taking anything other than what I listed but that sounds up my alley. Twinlab Amino Fuel pretty good?

Steve - yeah, that's exactly my problem. Eating 1.5lbs of meat a day gets kinda pricey *AND* boring. Not many alternatives.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One way you can spice your meat up is just that - spices.

If I had 4 cuts of steak, for example, here's how I might season them.

Cut 1 - Garlic powder & salt.
    Cut 2 - Rosemary with a little oregano & salt
    Cut 3 - Marinated in teriyaki with some wasabi paste
    Cut 4 - A Cajun-flavored dry rub that I get at my local specialty grocer.

and for the hell of it, Cut 5 has lemon pepper.

Those are 5 cuts of steak, all seasoned in an individual fashion with appealing, different tastes. The only caloric addition might be a spritz of olive oil from a can (think Pam) to keep the seasoning on the meat.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 9:00am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Awesome advice guys. Thanks.

El Macho - Not taking anything other than what I listed but that sounds up my alley. Twinlab Amino Fuel pretty good?
    It's good. There are other brands, but I just like this one because it seems the most complete (in aminoacid variety and content in mg), it's not expensive, and it comes in a liquid form that works great with orange or cranberry juice. It would not work with milk, but I'm not a fan of milk-like products except myoplex or muscle-milk shakes.

There are other brands like Prolab (I have a bottle of their branched-chain aminoacids), but I'm not sure if they have it in liquid form. I do both, liquid and caps, but mostly the liquid form combined with glutamine and orange juice (my powah drink). Maybe you'd prefer capsules. My suggestion is to take Twinlab Amino Fuel in liquid form as a "basis" of comparison (in terms of nutritional content, convenience, and price) as well as the first amino supplement product to try. If you love orange juice, this thing will work nicely with it in terms of flavor... you don't want to buy **** that tastes like ... you know, **** :)

I strongly recommend you give glutamine and aminoacids a try (and perhaps tribulus terrestris if you think your testosterone levels are low, like me). Those two things have changed my life and health around to the best level ever since I turned 31. When we do sports and are over 30, food alone won't cut it.

I may get an appointment with a doc by the end of the year to get my hormone levels checked; I'm sure my test-level is below normal. Good test-level == muscle + lean. I haven't had a physical in years, so it's time to get one.

Steve - yeah, that's exactly my problem. Eating 1.5lbs of meat a day gets kinda pricey *AND* boring. Not many alternatives.
    Apparently Steve knows a few things about culinary-fu :)

I'm with you with beef being pricey. Chicken is cheaper, so you may want to alternate between both. Throw some sauteed (sp) tofu into the mix (it's also easier on the stomach) every now and then, even if you lose a bit of protein content.

I for one prefer to put some soy sauce, basil and oregano over beef before cooking it. For chicken, I either do the same, or I dip the chicken in a mix of honey mustard, dijoun mustard, soy sauce (and sometimes tomato and pesto) and then fry/bake it with that concotion... yum, yum. I buy the honey mustarda and dijoun mustard bottles for like $4 each and they can last for a month.

*** EDIT ***

LI GUY 1 told me about this site, customnutritionwharehouse.com where one can get supplements in bulk for reasonable prices. I haven't tried it yet since I have enough supplements for 6 weeks, but that will be my next stop ;)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throw some sauteed (sp) tofu into the mix (it's also easier on the stomach) every now and then, even if you lose a bit of protein content.
    *cue AkiraPoise screaming about estrogen compounds*

Macho, don't you remember the Bullshido cookoff?

*cue AkiraPoise screaming about bullshit judging criteria and culinary inexperience on everyone elses part*

btw, I can recommend ON Whey products. And it's http://www.customnutritionwarehouse.com/

Macho's has a typo in it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123