Posted On:
    10/25/2006 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lean Protein Thread

Lets talk food.

I need more lean protein in my diet and I'd rather get it from food than from a powder. Mainly I eat chicken, egg whites, and black beans.

So what do you guys chow down on daily? What's easy? What do you grab on the run?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Lets talk food.

I need more lean protein in my diet and I'd rather get it from food than from a powder. Mainly I eat chicken, egg whites, and black beans.

So what do you guys chow down on daily? What's easy? What do you grab on the run?
    -I eat a tremendous amount of pistachio nuts theyre delicious and a good source of protein.
    -Salmon is good because it tastes better than tuna and has a low mercuric content
    -deli style turkey slices are really lean but kinda expensive I dont use em that often
    -I have a recepie to make my own protein bars for a fraction of the cost but the main ingredient is whey powder so you might not be interested I'll post it if you are

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like fish on lomein noodles
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:31pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pork chops aren't quite as lean as chicken, but they're still good enough to get away with from time to time. Turkey is good to mix things up, and so is just about any kind seafood or fish- depending on how you cook it of course. For a snack I like peanuts or almonds, but they have a lot of fat in addition to the protein so you have to be careful with them. Ice cold skim milk is also good. *Edit* Beef jerky is good stuff too.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like nuts, but they're just so damn expensive
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:40pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cottage cheese has absurd amounts of protein, plus, you can get it nonfat.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer red meat over chicken as it has a slighter greater amount of protein that chicken. The downside is that it has a bit more fat (but just a bit.) Tofu and feta cheese are good options for protein as well. For a power snack with lots of protein and good, healthy fat, I go for a whole wheat bagel and peanut butter (10g+/- protein, 16g fat.)

I know that you prefer food over supplement, but have you considered something like a trioplex bar? Those things are handy, they don't taste like crap (like other bars), and it gives you 30g of protein, no trans-fat or cholesterol, and it's choked full with vitamins and minerals (I prefer the banana or caramel apple flavors myself.)

Are in you in particular interested in reducing fat intake?

What I do is that I make two wraps (whole wheat pita) with 1qt lbs of red meat in each, and veggies (romained, lettuce or spinach) and humus. Those are two of my meals. I also take an assortment of yogurt, whole wheat bagels with peanut butter, a bottle of orange juice with glutamine and aminoacids (my recovery drink) and either a protein shake (Myoplex "Original" Ready-To-Drink or cheap-ass Liquid Nutrition Plus @ CVS) or a tryoplex bar.) Those are my to-go meals.

In the mornings I usually get a mega-ass omellete - 3 whole eggs (or 2 eggs and a bit of egg whites), tomatoes, feta cheese and a piece of beef on the side. Sometimes I just get the eggs and a bit of oatmeal. At night, I take a protein shake (Isopure + orange juice + glutamine) when I get home (or some easy-to-digest fruit if the protein intake makes me bloated.)

Quick question. Are you trying to cut your fat intake? I honestly don't pay much attention to the fat content in beef and eggs, but I'm a small hard-gainer. That type of disregard for fat may not work for people with bigger frames I guess.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    Cottage cheese has absurd amounts of protein, plus, you can get it nonfat.
    of course the nonfat kind just tastes like lumpy water

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:48pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    of course the nonfat kind just tastes like lumpy water
    High protein, low fat. It had to have a deffect!!!. Besides, I usually put it on/mix it with something more tasty (berries, salt & pepper with olive oil, it depends), 'cause it's true, all by itself... :XXpuke:

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cottage cheese + kashi go lean cereal + blueberries == yummy protein combo with lots of fiber
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast