218358 Bullies, 6373 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 41
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Andrew L. is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83

    Posted On:
    10/29/2006 12:33am


     Style: Still searching...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Fastest takedowns in mma?

    Seeing fighters with strong takedown defense like Mirko and Chuck do so well in mma it makes you wonder which fighters have the fastest takedowns.

    So what do you guys think, who has the fastest takedowns? Im mostly referring to doubles and singles, but i guess even quick takedowns from the clinch and more exotic takedowns could count.

    From what ive seen from Sean Sherk, I think hes a candidate for fastest double leg in mma.
    Last edited by Andrew L.; 10/29/2006 12:44am at .
  2. Tangerine is offline
    Tangerine's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    THE Island
    Posts
    216

    Posted On:
    10/29/2006 3:47am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sherk is a no brainer...I'm thinking any fighter whose musculature is compact and explosive, such as Hughes, GSP...

    And you don't necessarily have to be quick to take someone down from the clinch...
  3. Andrew L. is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83

    Posted On:
    10/29/2006 6:13pm


     Style: Still searching...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine
    Sherk is a no brainer...I'm thinking any fighter whose musculature is compact and explosive, such as Hughes, GSP...

    And you don't necessarily have to be quick to take someone down from the clinch...
    Yah i know i was just trying to be as broad as possible. In fact take downs from the clinch probably have alot more to do with kuzushi than speed or surprise. Although, speed and surprise are part of kuzushi.
  4. roly is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    769

    Posted On:
    10/29/2006 7:31pm


     Style: judo, karate, jap jj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    define "fast"

    ie time from the bell rings to the actual takedown?
    time from the start of the technique to the end of the technique?
    are you looking for a fighters name or the name of the takedown technique?

    also a fast takedown does not mean it was a good takedown, i've done throws to people that were counting on that type of throw to submit me
    example: o-ouchi gari (outer reap?) i got the half point for the takedown and basically got pulled into a triangle very quickly, talked to the guy later and got told that he set me up
  5. chaosexmachina is offline
    chaosexmachina's Avatar

    Unexpected Elbow

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,450

    Posted On:
    10/29/2006 7:35pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    define "fast"

    ie time from the bell rings to the actual takedown?
    time from the start of the technique to the end of the technique?
    are you looking for a fighters name or the name of the takedown technique?

    also a fast takedown does not mean it was a good takedown, i've done throws to people that were counting on that type of throw to submit me
    example: o-ouchi gari (outer reap?) i got the half point for the takedown and basically got pulled into a triangle very quickly, talked to the guy later and got told that he set me up
    I'm pretty sure what he (Andrew L, which is my name too... weird) means the time from the start of the technique to the end and who does it the fastest.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

    El Guapo says dance!
  6. MacWombat is offline

    BJJ Suckee

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Westchester, NY / Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,131

    Posted On:
    10/30/2006 1:06am


     Style: Relson GJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe Lauzon vs Jens Pulver was a pretty fast takedown.

    I'd say Sherk or GSP. Hughes has fast takedowns too, except against BJ Penn.
  7. Andrew L. is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83

    Posted On:
    10/30/2006 1:10am


     Style: Still searching...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    I'm pretty sure what he (Andrew L, which is my name too... weird) means the time from the start of the technique to the end and who does it the fastest.
    Hah you wanna hear something even wierder. I did a quick google search and apparently theres atleast 2 other people with the exact same first and last name as me. Also my last name is Polish and uncommon (or so i thought).

    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    define "fast"

    ie time from the bell rings to the actual takedown?
    time from the start of the technique to the end of the technique?
    are you looking for a fighters name or the name of the takedown technique?

    also a fast takedown does not mean it was a good takedown, i've done throws to people that were counting on that type of throw to submit me
    example: o-ouchi gari (outer reap?) i got the half point for the takedown and basically got pulled into a triangle very quickly, talked to the guy later and got told that he set me up
    What i mean is the time from when the takedown is executed to either succesfully grabbing a limb or finishing the takedown.
    Last edited by Andrew L.; 10/30/2006 1:13am at .
  8. PoleFighter is offline

    Professional Swede

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,155

    Posted On:
    10/30/2006 4:58am


     Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I rewatched Fedor vs Nog 3 I was very impressed with how he went from a looping punch into a throw. If you measure from the end of the punch to the takedown, he's blindingly fast.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

    "Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
  9. Slydermv is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    912

    Posted On:
    10/30/2006 9:49am


     Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karo has some really really quick throws....
  10. Andrew L. is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83

    Posted On:
    10/30/2006 5:29pm


     Style: Still searching...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    When I rewatched Fedor vs Nog 3 I was very impressed with how he went from a looping punch into a throw. If you measure from the end of the punch to the takedown, he's blindingly fast.
    I will have to see that.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.