221993 Bullies, 4336 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 2:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Video Sucks, What a Rip Off!

Just for Doctor X this post is brought to you without Color!

1.Are the days of making a living off Video Sales over for martial arts?

2.Do you buy Videos or just down them off the net?

3.With so much free Video source now like You Tube is there really any reason to buy Videos?

4. What about when these guys die? Should you still pay for Bruce Lee movies?

5. Is there really anything new in MA worth paying for?

Personaly I see the industry as a dieing and last breath industry, Today it seems more about advertisement in the video market that cannot translate into MA very well. I just got some pretty good boxing Videos for free that I would not have payed for and the original film was a sponsered advertisement event. I dont see this happening on a large scale, I mean you have a few small companies that can sponser a few people, I guess the UFC could do a training documentary show in more detail but who would sponser any weapons fighting videos?, not to mention liabilities if some sycho or terrorist gets it and then uses it to go on a rampage. You have a few knife companies that hire spokesmen but thats only for the Shot Show or very large events.

The MA video industry will never be like the Mt. Bike or Surfing Industry at least the way I see it now. The way Im seeing now most MA stuff is at capacity as far as people actually training. Many have gone from TKD in the 70s to getting their kids into soccer now days, Who has their kids doing Golden Gloves anymore muchless buys a video about boxing? I have a couple old friends "TK and Mike" and a few years ago their Videos were a very hot selling item and now it seems you need a staff of twenty just to keep them from being distributed for free. There is not one new movie made that cannot be bought in Bangkok, As a matter of fact, Windows Longhorn was for sale around three years ago, although it was a Beta version. Maybe this is the end of the sales pitch Bullshido, "My Video is badder than your Video, Its a new secret method of punching a guy in the nose, never been done before."

Last edited by ar549; 10/24/2006 7:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 6:46pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wall of text FTL

no, it wont die people will just start selling chi vidoes and stupid people will keep buying them

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 7:07pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Look at the home shopping network. They hawk absolute garbage all day long, and people buy that stuff, why not MA videos?

What kind of videos are you talking about?

You mention Bruce Lee movies and Instructional vids and Surf movies (I assume that you mean highlight or fight videos). I do buy action movies and fight videos, I don't buy instructionals (only because I am not at a point where I feel I will benefit from them. I do buy books on BJJ though, sometimes a reference is nice to have.).

3.With so much free Video source now like You Tube is there really any reason to buy Videos?

Maybe. YouTube can't host whatever they want. If material is copyrighted and the license holder asks them to take it down, they will.

I think so. This comes down to who owns the rights to the movie. Someone does until it is so old it goes into public domain. Then it's free.

I'm curious to know why anyone thinks that they don't have to pay for Bruce Lee movies.

That's part of being a consumer, and making a decision about what something is worth. Assuming you live in some sort of free market society, if anything is worth paying for, someone will.

I think that there is depending on what kind of videos you are talking about.

As an aside, Longhorn is called Vista now.

And seriously, use paragrapghs. That post sucked to read.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 7:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge
    I'm curious to know why anyone thinks that they don't have to pay for Bruce Lee movies.
    Because his acting totally sucked?

--J.D.

P.S. A quick search of MA DVDs demonstrates it is not dying.

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 10:18am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't remember the last time I rented an action flick for the acting.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) No
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes, No.
    5) Probably.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to troll you, but then I saw that this is a thread with conversational value... so my two cents...
    Quote Originally Posted by ar549
    Just for Doctor X this post is brought to you without Color!
    I feel excluded. I hate you now.

I'm not sure if anyone actually made a living off video sales for martial arts. And by martial arts, I mean real instructional martial arts, not the spectacle variety of it.

Few instructors actually make a living off martial arts. It's usually a side business, and in some cases (as in many Judo dojos), they are non for profit orgs. Even large successful for-profit martial arts orgs make most of their income from group and private classes as well as seminars. Instructional videos are just the small tip of a not-so-big iceberg IMO.

If we feel inclined to discuss the Jackie Chan/Jet Lee/Tony Jaa variety of videos, there will certainly be a market for it. It doesn't matter if the media is physical (tapes, CDs or whatever media may come in the future), or online.

You have to understand that youtube and video.google provide you with a way to charge people for watching your copyrighted content and they try (as ineffectually as they may) to stop people from uploading copyrighted material - and this is a problem for all media companies, physical and online media alike.

I for one like to watch short clips on the internet. For anything longer, I prefer to pop a DVD on my TV and watch it laying on my couch... or doing exercises on the floor if it happens to be a fitness-related DVD. Watching stuff on a PC is one of the least ergonomic things you can do to your body.

Buy. I download if I can, or purchase them online. It's not a clear dichotomy.

Most free video online is just worthless stupid **** that I would never pay for it.

Exhbit A: Emo Fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWLVV2pKz0
    Exhibit B: Stupid Emo bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMvMzQ4Vu-8
    Exhibit C: Gluteusaurus Rex Maximus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bzE790pZA

Even when I like Exhibit C, I wouldn't spend a dime on that ****. I would however pay for the followings (be it DVD or even for the rights to watch it online), if I feel I am at a place where having them will help me progress:

Exhibit A: David Camarillo's Position Impossible 3 DVD Set http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=248&page=1

Exhibit B: Judo for Mixed Martial Arts 3 DVD Set with Karo Parisyan http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=248&page=1

Exhibit C: Korean Judo Master Jeon DVD http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=248&page=2

Exhibit D: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Over 40 DVD by Roy Harris http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=291&page=1

Martial arts aside, I'm a DVD junkie and collector. I always buy one or two every month. If I later find that I don't like a given DVD, I just donated (tax-deductible stuff FTW), and I keep the rest. Lots of people have their own personal collections, and they wouldn't trade that for online stuff.

This is like the IT promise of making all business paperless. Yeah right :tongue6:

What does the guy in the film being alive or dead has to do with copyrights. Bruce Lee had rights over his image. Movie producers have rights over films in which he appeared (and got paid for). For as long as a producer has rights over a particular media, be it physical or online, you should pay royalties.

There is always something worth. There is a lot more out there than what a human is capable of absorbing in a finite amount of time. There is always something new under the sun. Always.

Martial arts, sports, or just about any alive arts (painting, dancing, singing, performing, etc), they are all have something in common. They are alive. They change and evolve. Always. There is always going to be something new and worth paying for the right to watch, independently of the media format it is being delivered.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 11:10am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, a rip off is you kicking and swinging your arms around while five guys beat you senseless with bike chains and tire-irons!

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as they keep making quality instructional videos like this one.....

http://www.yellowbamboo.net/yb_freelevel1.htm

Then no.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 8:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    As long as they keep making quality instructional videos like this one.....

http://www.yellowbamboo.net/yb_freelevel1.htm

Then no.
    HOLY FUCKING GHAY ****!!! I'M FUCKING BLIND!!!! WHAT THE FUCKING RETARDED HORROR IS THAT?????

http://www.yellowbamboo.net/yb_freel...stofpower1.wmv

In case they ever remove that **** off the internet, I've just uploaded it on youtube for disgraceful posterity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M--P8Wex3M

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M--P8Wex3M[/media]
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast