Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 11:34am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible DHS Suggestion - what do you guys think?

Just noticed in my short time here that people are always posting somewhat noob questions in regards to grappling in DHS all the time. The Mods of course remove these as the content in DHS should remain technical and not filled with hundreds of 'what's this basic move do' type questions.

I did notice that the 'War Room' was opened as a sub section of DHS for posts specifically for techniques and questions on them.

I was wondering if any of you guys thought it would be worthwhile (and of course most importantly if the Mods think it's worthwhile) to have a 'Basic Techniques / Basic questions' sub section for noob questions?

Well, what do you guys think?

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 11:46am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that if you're looking for information on the Internet about basic grappling (or anything else actually) techniques, it generally means you're not training in the right place anyway.

So in an effort to actively discourage misguided people who think they can be the next Evan Tanner, we don't support discussion over absolute basic/fundamental techniques that they should be learning from an actual instructor.

Or in other words, we don't support crappling.

If someone has a question about basic stuff, they can field it in Gitmo and take their chances.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are technique libraries for grappling arts out there. www.lockflow.com is one of them. Browsing those might be helpful to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    There are technique libraries for grappling arts out there. www.lockflow.com is one of them. Browsing those might be helpful to you.
    Just to clarify, I'm not really (at least don't fee like I am :)) a noob myself, I've just seen a few posts about basic stuff since I've been here. Been doing JJ for about a year and a half now.

I definately understand Phost's position on it. Was just one of those random thoughts that I thought might have some merit. As for the support of crappling, I'd love to see that die myself. My thought was more for 'beginners wanting clarification'.

Thanks for that link Shawarma, I'll check it out anyways.... never hurts to review the basics :)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you aren't treally a newb send your BJJ belt evidence to Phrost and get a new label.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with beginners asking for clarification, but we'd like to keep DHS as an intermediate to advanced level discussion forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    If you aren't treally a newb send your BJJ belt evidence to Phrost and get a new label.
    New label?

Plus not in BJJ... I do Japanese JJ... but full sparring and 'aliveness'.
    I'm an orange belt in that (not that it really matters on the interweb). Don't really have anything to 'back it up' aside from the belt itself, we don't really get certs or anything.

Meh, still feel like there is a whole world of learning to go, just saying that I don't need to ask questions like: "How do you do a guard pass?" answered.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you think lockflow is great, then you are definately not training in the right way.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what gitmo is for.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's crappling and there's Crappling. there's the Wing Chun anti-grapple crappling that is based on **** pulled out of someones ass and then for example there's traditional japanese ju jitsu which can look like BJJ but is missing some important positional stuff.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for people with that back ground to ask for clarification on techniques they already know from a BJJ point of view.

Or having a sub forum for that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast