Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 3:24pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    So wait, are you saying your school has completely replaced free sparring with flow drills? Or is there just an increased emphasis?
    I am not sure yet but we havent actually sparred on the ground for a month or so.

I dont think this type of training is totally worthless for many of the reasons mentioned above, but I am defineatly going to say something to my instructor.

I dont understand it, the stand up sparring in the gym is great and our guys always seem to have the advantage in stand up, most of our fighters win with striking.

The problem is that there really isnt any other mma gyms in my area, there is a bjj school, who compete in grappling tournaments but no mma.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 10:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like the ground equivalent of "French Randori" where you let one guy get the throw, then he lets you, etc. I have a hard time understaning that - the sets ups seem so artificial.

However, this would seem to make more sense from the ground, where the rolling nature would allow smother transitions from one technique to the other. Its real hard to change positions from osoto gari or uchi mata - or any throw - into another throw, since your ass is on the ground.

A stated before, sounds like a good supplement, but not for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 1:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I think of the concept of "flow" grappling and exercises around that, I think of where is the primary place that "flow" is most important? I would say in transitions first. Second would be in flowing through the steps of finalizing a submission. Third would be flowing through escapes.

I know tension does prevent speed in transition. So drills to help transition flow would be good. However, if you're noticing as you say that the exercises in class are more promoting sloppy technique than they are helping people's speed in transitions, this is something I definitely would talk over with your instructor. I guarantee you Roy Harris isn't sloppy in techniques when he's doing this, and I've seen this on videos too. He is meticulous and detailed. His people I've seen at NAGA aren't sloppy either. They have flow and move between positions well.

Maybe it's not a problem with the exercise itself, but with your lazy-ass monkey traning partners' implementation of it. If they're being sloppy, make their ass tap like the finale in "Drumline". Once they're tired of making up the new beat to a hip-hop song every 15 seconds, they'll sharpen up real quick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 6:26am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do this too, its called "transitional sparring" we use it to get an idea of lock flows and so on into our heads but it necver takes up more than say 15-20 minutes of a 2 hour session.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Bizzaro said I think some of it happens incidentally when you roll with more experienced people, if it didn't you would never land anything or change position.

And I have worked throw for throw and ne waza the same way, it's good practice but nothing beats full resistance sparring.

At the skill level I am at I take all the practice I can get, I sure as hell need it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12