Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 1:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never land on my side when I do Tani Otoshi. I roll to mount or side control. I guess I need to look into the "textbook" version and see what I do differently.

This is the way I try to do it.
    http://www.judo-for-all.com/Theory/T...ani-Otoshi.htm

He doesn't show the setup but I get there from a blocked throw or a duck under.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 10/29/2006 1:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 3:07pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I never land on my side when I do Tani Otoshi. I roll to mount or side control. I guess I need to look into the "textbook" version and see what I do differently.

http://www.judo-for-all.com/Theory/T...i-otoshi-5.jpg

Kinda... on his side there... dontcha think?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 4:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I guess, I've just never considered that the end of the throw. Did you watch the video?

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't like that version.

Went to a tournament a few years back. There was only one other guy in my weight class, well, actually, about 30 pounds heavier, but no one else close. So we played best two of three.

Just at end of our first match, he tried a tani-otoshi, much like this - twisting to his left-rear corner. I was able to twist with him, enough that the referees, after a conference, gave me the waza-ari (assuming I hit an ouchi-gari, I suppose; and I kinda did). That gave me the win.

The next two, he planted me, pretty definitlvely, with osoto-gari and a proper tani-otoshi. Then next day, I could hardly do front ukemi in class - my neck muscles would just give out and my head would flop back, musta been whiplashed.

Anyway, the version I prefer to teach is a forward driving fall, towards tori's left front corner - almost reaping uke's right leg with his (tori's) crotch). Harder for uke to spin out, or land on tori. It's a nice follow from a kosoto attack, just keep driving.

I like it for MMA randori as well, in that you can keep the drive going and end up in mount, and it depends less on the gi. I should drill it more.

Personally, the question of a goto throw is hard to answer.

For randori, I mostly like to try harai-goshi/ashi-guruma (depending on uke's response), but in competition, I've probably had the most success with koshi-guruma/soto-makikomi - depending on whether I get the head or not.

But I can't shake the feeling from one tournament. For most of the preceding month, we'd been working on aikido throws that are similar to judo. And in this one tournament, I scored two ippons and a waza-ari on yoko-otoshi - all timing and hands (that's the aikido influence), and sutemi 'cause I was in a rush to ne-waza.

I'd dearly love to have that feeling again, but it's gone and I can't get it back. The stars must have been aligned just right for that one day.

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 12:48am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The angle is similar to my method, but I'm usually WAY closer (torsos are in direct contact), because usually I use it as a followup (though I still use the textbook version to counter hip throws). Thus, I can usually land on Uke, rather than to the side because being that close with Uke off balance makes it harder for Uke to try to spin through.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 1:33am

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I guess, I've just never considered that the end of the throw. Did you watch the video?
    I didn't notice there was a video at first. I checked it out just now. Tani otoshi into a tate shihoh gatame, or something similar. Good transition, but it IS a transition into a pin and not just the end result of the throw.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678