I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    ... now, if you can ippon somebody via a wedgie, then you are cool stud!!!!

Dude, I have a whole series of submissions I have yet to release that are based upon things my older brother used to torture me with.

Purple Nurple

Steam Roller

That thing from the mount where you horch (spit) and let it slowly dribble out only to suck it back up in the last moment

And the dreaded gas peddle - Which I think I can adapt from and achilies tendon lock for MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 6:46pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Yep. That works great and I get that all of the time, though generally not with a belt grip.
    It's not something that I practice, it just appeared a couple of times. What happens is that they'll try to throw me with a hip throw of some kind. My best defense against this right now (as a n00b) is to just dead leg myself and get my hips below theirs so they can't pull me over. After that happens I just grab whatever's there (the belt is ideal), shift over slightly, lean back, and pull as hard as I can. It's INCREDIBLY ugly and more of an instinctive thing than something you'd want to be caught practicing, but if you're confident in your ground skills... go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Yeah, I have no idea what the stigma is against it. Maybe its too "Judo" ? lol. My coach is a black belt in Judo also and he doesn't even like it much but he is very short so there are a couple forward throws that he really favors.
    It's probably the fact that you end up on your back with your opponent partially on top of you. BJJ guys and judoka have differing views on that. A judoka doesn't like being on his back because of the pinning aspect. BJJ guys are the opposite. Being on your back is just time to pull guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 9:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    It's not something that I practice, it just appeared a couple of times. What happens is that they'll try to throw me with a hip throw of some kind. My best defense against this right now (as a n00b) is to just dead leg myself and get my hips below theirs so they can't pull me over. After that happens I just grab whatever's there (the belt is ideal), shift over slightly, lean back, and pull as hard as I can. It's INCREDIBLY ugly and more of an instinctive thing than something you'd want to be caught practicing, but if you're confident in your ground skills... go for it!

It's probably the fact that you end up on your back with your opponent partially on top of you. BJJ guys and judoka have differing views on that. A judoka doesn't like being on his back because of the pinning aspect. BJJ guys are the opposite. Being on your back is just time to pull guard.
    The other problem in judo is that whenever you throw yourself onto your back you're risking the referee misinterpreting it as an ippon for your opponent. I've seen this happen many times and it happened to me at nationals one year. You need to be very careful to demonstrate good control and avoid throwing yourself on your back while your opponent lands on their side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 9:04pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    Oi, I could be reading the technique wrong but I think I do the exact same thing when my ippon seio doesn't work. Just slide down, pivot a tad and inside leg gets an o-ouchi while my inside hand grabs ankle/knee of opposite foot. I love that one because I thought of it meself :icon_sunn

My judo sensei loves the leg sweeps so we get a lot of work in on 'em. Here's the thing tho', from my other skool where we learned a ton of throws at once and then improved them and randori for rank, it's a few for a long time and perfection then another few in this skool, and my sensei doesn't approve of me using tech's "above my skill level" (which I guess I can sorta see) but a tech I liked in randori back at home was ura nage, now it's off limits.:5brokenhe

The thing this dojo DOESN'T do a lot of is sutemi waza. Yeah, personally I like tani otoshi (and it's in my skill lvl) but the guys in my dojo seem unwilling to do them (or are passed the point of needing them or something, I dunno) so I never see any tomoe's sume gaeshi's yoko wakare's or anything of the sort...
    I do a ko-uchi ankle pick out of drop seoi a lot. I'll usually do a half-ass seoi then immediately turn and hit the ko-ouchi while wrapping that leg with my arms and bulling the guy over with my body. You have to be pretty quick to do it but you can get a score if there's no pause between the drop and the ko-uchi attack. O-uchi would be hard to pull off since you'd have to turn completely around to hit it and it would leave you pretty open to be countered (though if you're picking the opposite leg that would help).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    The other problem in judo is that whenever you throw yourself onto your back you're risking the referee misinterpreting it as an ippon for your opponent. I've seen this happen many times and it happened to me at nationals one year. You need to be very careful to demonstrate good control and avoid throwing yourself on your back while your opponent lands on their side.
    Exactly. That's another thing. When my instructor was showing us tani otoshi she made it very clear that you want to land beside them, with any luck on your side, and make it known that you did the takedown. Scream or something. It's a bit of a crapshoot but when you're in a bad position and you know you can take them on the ground... you run with it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Exactly. That's another thing. When my instructor was showing us tani otoshi she made it very clear that you want to land beside them, with any luck on your side, and make it known that you did the takedown. Scream or something. It's a bit of a crapshoot but when you're in a bad position and you know you can take them on the ground... you run with it.

I Like it for No-Gi.

I have had some success going to a duck under to get clinch around the waist from the rear and using tani otoshi then transitioning to side control.

I like to drill the tani otoshi to side control. It flows pretty natural for me.

edited for spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 7:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct off-rink application of 'the jersey technique':

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5KufaaOPwI

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR
    Correct off-rink application of 'the jersey technique':

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5KufaaOPwI
    A friend of mine had this happen to him the first judo comp he went to. I need to get that video from him...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 9:36pm

Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Otoshi is my favorite go-to throw. It's easy to set up and hard to defend, and it's easy to muscle if I messed up the setup. I've accidentally injured people's knees with it from keeping my blocking leg too high so I don't use it as much any more, but it has always been the easiest throw for me to execute in randori and competition.

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 1:46am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum

Which is why when I do it, I look kinda like a tiger taking down an antelope. One arm is across uke's back, one across uke's chest, and my body is perpendicular to uke. Not exactly textbook, but it works.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast