1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 9:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Same here. I haven't figured out why more don't do it. Hell, even my instructor won't use it.
    Yeah, I have no idea what the stigma is against it. Maybe its too "Judo" ? lol. My coach is a black belt in Judo also and he doesn't even like it much but he is very short so there are a couple forward throws that he really favors.

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 9:55pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Yeah, I have no idea what the stigma is against it. Maybe its too "Judo" ? lol. My coach is a black belt in Judo also and he doesn't even like it much but he is very short so there are a couple forward throws that he really favors.
    The people in my club REALLY like setting up different leg picks (a possible reflection of the instructor's habits), so that's what they stick to. Of course that's totally fine by me 'cause everytime they stick that leg out, it's single leg takedown time!
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    and I like to try ouchi gari over and over and over again just to annoy people
    Ha, I do that **** constantly...plus kouchi, kosoto gari. My favorite throw right now is uchi mata, but my "go to" attempts in randori usually end in a clusterfuck situation I like to call "mutual tani otoshi"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ura nage and Tani otoshi are counters I use too (Uran nage with smaller opponents and Tani for bigger fat fucks), also Hiza Guruma is a nice throw that works great, and just like tani, not many people are expecting it

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 9:46am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    On a different note, Hitman dude, that mullet in your avatar... it's just fucking wrong!!!
    It's so wrong it's TOTALLY right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Goldman
    Ha, I do that **** constantly...plus kouchi, kosoto gari. My favorite throw right now is uchi mata, but my "go to" attempts in randori usually end in a clusterfuck situation I like to call "mutual tani otoshi"
    I've been spending a lot of time (well at least before my latest injury) working Uchi Mata after failing a single leg or double leg. Often it's a simple matter of quickly changing grips before uke has time to react and then either continuing the direction of the takedown or going the direction they are trying to sprawl.
    Last edited by War Wizard; 10/26/2006 9:49am at .
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 11:13am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best throw that I nail everyone with is Yoko otoshi 9side body drop). I even nabbed people at my first judo lesso with it. I am terrible at Judo as all I try to do is wrestle. I crouch low and tuck in my hands and wait for someone to make a mistake (I can't shoot with a gi on). When someone attempts a throw I duck behind stick my left leg out and torque my hips. I get someone alomst every class with it.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 12:12pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I barely ever throw. I sweep or trip ocassionaly but I mostly stick to double leg take downs. I got the best timed one last night, guy just ran right into it!

I use a trip everyonce in awhile that I like. I do a duck under and hold the neck as I go through, trapping the arm. My other arm circles the waist and I trip his near foot, falling over my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best technique is an ankle pick into te-guruma. If I really hit it I lift the guy up the chest level then put him down and if I only get a piece of it I can usually drag the guy around and flip him once he loses his balance.

Another of my favorites is uchi-mata into an ankle pick. Coming in right handed and slightly to the side on the uchi-mata you hit it and if he steps off of it (or you just want to hit the ankle pick) release his sleeve with your left hand and grab his a right ankle (the leg you didn't hit with the uchimata). Almost always works if the guy isn't used to it and you can do it gi or no-gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 3:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    Another of my favorites is uchi-mata into an ankle pick. Coming in right handed and slightly to the side on the uchi-mata you hit it and if he steps off of it (or you just want to hit the ankle pick) release his sleeve with your left hand and grab his a right ankle (the leg you didn't hit with the uchimata). Almost always works if the guy isn't used to it and you can do it gi or no-gi.
    Now that sounds like something worth practicing!
    Thanks!

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 10:04am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judobum
    My best technique is an ankle pick into te-guruma. If I really hit it I lift the guy up the chest level then put him down and if I only get a piece of it I can usually drag the guy around and flip him once he loses his balance.

Oi, I could be reading the technique wrong but I think I do the exact same thing when my ippon seio doesn't work. Just slide down, pivot a tad and inside leg gets an o-ouchi while my inside hand grabs ankle/knee of opposite foot. I love that one because I thought of it meself :icon_sunn

My judo sensei loves the leg sweeps so we get a lot of work in on 'em. Here's the thing tho', from my other skool where we learned a ton of throws at once and then improved them and randori for rank, it's a few for a long time and perfection then another few in this skool, and my sensei doesn't approve of me using tech's "above my skill level" (which I guess I can sorta see) but a tech I liked in randori back at home was ura nage, now it's off limits.:5brokenhe

The thing this dojo DOESN'T do a lot of is sutemi waza. Yeah, personally I like tani otoshi (and it's in my skill lvl) but the guys in my dojo seem unwilling to do them (or are passed the point of needing them or something, I dunno) so I never see any tomoe's sume gaeshi's yoko wakare's or anything of the sort...
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast